Thursday, June 4, 2009

cocktail review no. 5 - Burnt Embers


Let's see here...how are we doing? Numbers 1 and 3 were washouts, No. 2 was an elaborate letdown, and No. 4 was tasty but effeminate. Fifth time's the charm? Nope.

  • 1½ ounces añejo rum
  • ½ ounce apricot brandy
  • 1 ounce pineapple juice
In a shaker half-filled with ice cubes, combine all the ingredients. Shake well. Strain into a cocktail glass.

I didn't have any añejo rum (a blend of aged rums), and I thought the local, cheap brand of dark rum (Captain Q) would suffice. I should've known better. I also should've known this would be too fruity (again), but (again) it seems I'm a bit stupid where it comes to predicting cocktail flavors based on ingredients. Ah well, it was palatable at least. It was the third (or was it fifth?) cocktail during one of my infamous parties, so by then I was in a generally equable sort of mood.

All I can say (again) is try it for yourself and see. At least this one's simple.


No comments: