Friday, September 10, 2010

cocktail review no. 40 - Tequila Sunrise

Jeez, I haven't done a cocktail review since before I left for England! It's about time I got this column back up and running.

I'll make it easy on you folks who are just joining us, and some of you who might have been away for a while. This isn't some über-complex tropical drink with fifteen ingredients; an apéritif with a name longer than your arm; or any obscure cordial. This is just a nice, simple, easy, and aesthetic cocktail.

And a damn good Eagles tune, too.
  • 1½ ounces tequila
  • 4 ounces orange juice
  • 2 teaspoons grenadine
In a mixing glass half-filled with ice cubes, add the tequila and orange juice. Drop the grenadine into the center of the drink.

In essence, you're taking advantage of a very simple property of liquids: density. Because grenadine is more dense than orange juice, it settles down and lays on the bottom of the glass, forming a thin red layer below the yellowish-orange of the orange juice. The result, if you're not a total klutz, exactly resembles the hues of a typical Southwest sunrise.

Pretty neat, huh?

The libation itself is a timeless classic. The orange juice perfectly offsets the tang of tequila, without obscuring it completely; while the grenadine adds subtle berry overtones and a sweeter finish. It's a spicy-sweet kick, especially on a hot summer's day (though maybe not at sunrise).
Unlike most of the other cocktails I've posted up here, I've heard vague rumors of the tequila sunrise's origin. Apparently there was this bartender somewhere in Arizona who stayed up drinking with his customers all night. The bar owner came in at dawn and demanded to know what in hell the bartender thought he was doing. The bartender, though thoroughly drunk, snatched up some ingredients, poured them, and told his boss he was busy working on a new drink. The owner tried it and was so impressed that the bartender kept his job, and the drink became a legend.

Variants include the Tequila Sunset (where blackberry brandy is substituted for the grenadine, lending purplish evening tones to the beverage); and the Tequila Moonrise, one sweet mother of a cocktail (containing a whopping seven ounces of alcohol) with tequila, light rum, dark rum, lime juice, lemon juice, sugar, and ale. I used to serve those up as the starting round at my cocktail parties in South Korea. That got us in the mood right quick.

7 comments:

Summer Ross said...

I love the fact you added some background in with this. I'm more of a jack and coke kinda girl, but it sound yummy.

Raquel Byrnes said...

It was fun to learn the background and other variations on a drink that I'd heard of for years. Never tried one, but they sound nice.

Edge of Your Seat Romance

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

We used to make a Hibiscus Sunrise at a coffee shop I worked at. We made our own Hibiscus tea (which was a lovely vibrant red) and then mix it with fresh-squeezed orange juice to create that sunrise effect. It was just gorgeous, and very tasty.

A.T. Post said...

Summer: Give it a shot (literally). You won't regret it.

Raquel: I only wish I knew MORE back-stories. The Bartender's Bible prints them for the most famous drinks (martinis, gimlets, margaritas, etc.) but not the lesser-known cocktails. Glad you enjoyed it!

Polly: Hibiscus tea and orange juice! How marvelous...I wish they served that up around here. I'm getting sick of passion fruit. Good to see you back on the blogsphere!

Erin Kane Spock said...

It's too early for one now, but I want one. :)

I would love to find out what is in a Brass Monkey.

A.T. Post said...

There's differing opinions. Some say it's equal parts beer and orange juice (yuck); some say it's a mixed drink with gin, triple sec, tequila, orange juice and sour mix; but generally it's accepted that it's equal parts rum/vodka/OJ, served over ice.

Pat Tillett said...

great post! Joe Walsh...

I used to have a huge navel orange tree that grew the best and biggest oranges I've ever eaten. I used to drink so many tequila sunrises and screwdrivers that I'd get sores in my mouth from all the acidity (at least that's what my Dr. told me)