Friday, November 12, 2010

random travel destinations - the Maldives

Doesn't get much more random than that, does it?

The Maldives, otherwise known as the Maldive Islands or the Republic of Maldives, lies about 430 miles southwest of the island of Sri Lanka, in the Laccadive Sea. The Maldives themselves are, according to good ol' Wikipedia, a double chain of twenty-six atolls running north-to-south over an area of about 90,000 square kilometers. There are over twelve hundred separate islands or islets, of which only about 200 are inhabited.

There's a lively debate on where the name "Maldives" came from. Some say that it's the anglicized form of the Dutch name Maldivische Eilanden, which itself may have originated in Sanskrit. Others insist that the name comes from a passage in an ancient Sri Lankan text, the Mahawamsa, which refers to an obscure island called Mahalidiva, "The Island of Women." The Arabs used to call the place Mahal Dibiyat, the word mahal meaning "palace."

It holds the unsurprising distinction of being the lowest country in the world, hovering at an average of four feet eleven inches above sea level. The highest point on the entire island chain is 7'7" above the water. Let's hope the tsunamis around there never get higher than six feet or so, eh?

Okay, enough with the bloody factoids. Let's get to the rat-killer.

You wanna know why I've featured the Maldives so prevalently on this blog (after such a long absence from these random travel destinations)? Why I want to go there so desperately, when I'm rather leery about the area (those Somali pirates operate not too far west of there, y'know)?

Three reasons.

First, the sunsets.


Second, they've got themselves an underwater grub joint. You can dine 16 feet under at the Ithaa Undersea Restaurant, at the Conrad Hotel and Resort on Rangali Island.


Tell me that ain't cool. Go on, just try.

Finally, and this one's the kicker...

Maldivian Air Taxi is the country's biggest air carrier, and one of the most prolific seaplane operators in the world. Close to 500 flights a week during tourist season. I hear their pilots wear Hawaiian shirts and fly barefoot.

And if they hired me, my office would look like this:


Turquoise water, white sand, tropical sunsets, plentiful seafood, and a de Havilland Twin Otter to fly: what could be finer?

For a writer-cum-pilot with itchy feet (like yours truly), that's darn close to heaven.

Ahhhh....

5 comments:

Olivia J. Herrell, writing as O.J. Barré said...

OMG, how beautiful. I want to go!

Have a great weekend, Olivia

Claire Dawn said...

Wow! That IS beautiful. And I'm from the Caribbean; I know beauty.

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

My oldest daughter got to go to the Maldives when she was 13 on a school trip. Because the trip leader was married to a Maldivian woman, they actually stayed on an island where they people had never had foreign visitors before. Needless to say, this trip changed her life.

Mary Witzl said...

Oh my God, if I were you, I would be frothing at the mouth to go there! Do it, do it, do it!

I can't remember where I heard it, but someone once told me they were looking for small aircraft pilots in the Solomons, for mail delivery or whatever. That would be another great place to live, wouldn't it?

That underwater restaurant...sigh.

Ranae Pridgen said...

Travel seekers would definitely want to step on the beautiful island of Maldives. I fell in love with the place the first time my family spent a holiday vacation there. It was just a quick trip, so there are a lot of things that we weren't able to do. With that, I promised to myself that I'm going back to this splendid island one day. And you know what, that's about to happen within a month now! I'm going with my two best friends. And this time, I’m going to make sure that I'm won't miss the fun activities there – scuba diving, snorkeling, surfing, and many more. I'm going to check out the underwater restaurant too. It will going to be a blast! :)

Ranae Pridgen