Friday, March 23, 2012

a rocky start


That's something of an understatement. I'm sure there've been whitewater rafters who've had a less rocky than I have.

First of all, I got hit with a double-whammy when I arrived. My predecessor left her position one month before the semester ended, so I was dumped into the middle of her courses with only her notes to go on. Then, a scant month later, the new semester began: and with it, shorter (and more numerous) class periods and an entirely new set of textbooks. These materials took a while to learn (in fact, we're still receiving training on them, six weeks after my arrival). Add in two weeks' worth of jet lag, an apartment that was filthy when I moved in, a month-long wait for my first paycheck, technical difficulties with my Internet and bank account, and the absolute hell of being without my other half, and you'll begin to understand what I've been going through.

Honestly, it seems as if some new catastrophe rips across the landscape every week. First my passbook didn't work (a sort of checkbook which is inserted bodily into the ATM machine to withdraw cash; automatically balances itself!). Then my check card, when it came, was also inoperable. Both these crises necessitated trips to the bank to explain my problems in pidgin English, and fill out more forms. My Internet was installed successfully. But then I left the router unplugged overnight to prevent the other tenants from siphoning the unsecured network. The router reset itself. I had to call the service provider, KT (which fortunately has an English help line) and sort that mess out. I also got a cell phone this time around. I procured one in decent shape from a coworker, but I had to drag one of my Korean colleagues along to the shop so he could translate for me. I felt rather embarrassed, but at least there were no miscommunications or screw-ups.

Things at work have been hectic as well. I've forgotten how easy it is to accidentally breach cross-cultural etiquette in Korea. My original schedule for this new semester gave me eight classes on Thursdays. This is a full load, which management would rather avoid. So I spoke to my supervisor about it. I was informed that the class had been changed, and amended my schedule properly. However, because I failed to double-check the new master schedule I had been given, I didn't realize that another of my classes had been changed as well (from Thursday to Tuesday). As a result, I wound up missing it. The students just sat around for 45 minutes. This created quite a stir. I was ranked out publicly in the staff room. The remedial class was slated for Thursday, which meant that, for one day only, I really did have to teach eight classes in a day (exhausting). Compounding the matter, the Korean supervisor chose to call me on the carpet at the very moment when I was collecting my things for my next class, which would begin in less than 90 seconds. I could hardly give him my full attention while I was scrambling around gathering pens, markers, an eraser and textbooks. He interpreted my behavior as flippancy and disrespect, and reported me. I was not disciplined, but the incident has remained a black stain on my time here nonetheless.

Things were not this complicated the last time around.

Last time I just moved into my apartment, bought some food, went to work, learned how to teach, got a router installed, and spent one glorious year whooping it up in K-Land.

I'd like to say something inspirational and hopeful here, but I can't think of a blessed thing. It's a glorious, cool, breezy, sunny spring day (with scattered clouds), and a wonderful moist smell in the air from the day-long drizzle we had yesterday. I need to tidy up this apartment before the KT repairman arrives. He's installing a new router (one with an actual password on it). Then I think I'll take a nice stroll over to the other side of Jungang Park and try to find this street market everyone's been talking about. And flirt with Miss H online a little bit. I'll let you know how it all works out.

The Postman signs off.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Well, if you've hit rock bottom, the good news is that it can only get better. Things will look up. And if not...well...you'll have lots of stories to tell, at any rate.

dolorah said...

While I read this I was thinking "it didn't seem this bad the last time Posty was there". And then you wrote that :)

Be a true Californian Posty and remind yourself: at least you have a job. And an exotic one at that. I know you'll make it all work, you are are one of the most resilient people I know.

Hang in there Dude.

......dhole

Claire Dawn said...

Welcome back to Asia. Maybe I'll make it across the Japan Sea and we can do literary things like pull our beards in cafes or something.

Things'll get better. Hang in there.

A.T. Post said...

That's it, Carrie. You sure know how to put things in perspective. The worst experiences make the best stories, don't they?

Speaking of putting things in perspective, DH...! I'm forgetting I'm a Californian and you can't get a job for love or money there. That's what I'm doing here in the first place. Reminding myself forcibly of that fact now. Thank you.

Claire! My kindred spirit. Thanks for stopping in. What drives us to do this to ourselves? Only you've got the added expense of living in Japan to contend with. I've been meaning to make my way over there at some point. We'll figure a rendezvous out, I'm sure. I'd quite like to pull my beard in a cafe with a literary-minded friend. And there's a dozen cafes within shouting distance of my apartment, too.