Friday, July 19, 2013

cocktail review no. 67 - Leprechaun

Honestly, I'm not running out of ideas. Okay, maybe I am. But that's not the reason why these cocktail posts keep happening so infrequently. I'm not sure what the reason is, exactly, but I'm quite certain that that's not it.

Regardless, I'm going to keep going with these cocktail reviews. You hear that? I mean it. They won't lapse like my random travel destinations column did. I'll consider it a mark of highest shame if I don't crack an even hundred reviews. There are at least that many drinks I've tasted. Perhaps I should review more shots. I'm worried that would make this blog too popular, though. If you'll look over there on the right (and down a bit) you'll notice that cocktail reviews comprise half of this blog's "most popular posts" list. I'm not sure what to attribute that to. A sizable cross-section of the people trawling the blogsphere must be thirsty, I guess.

Or leprechauns.

Anyway, enough chit-chat. Let's get to the point!

I branched out a bit from The Bartender's Bible for this one. (That book is currently 6,000 miles away from me on my bookshelf in Seoul, anyway.)

You like gin-and-tonics, right? Well, so do I. But I've had 'em a lot lately and I wanted something new. New, but simple. Either I'm getting lazy in my old age or I'm coming around to my Dad's golden rule. I just can't be bothered to make really complex cocktails lately. Or even anything that involves a shaker. Highballs are where it's at for me. Glass, ice, three ingredients, and boom: cocktail deliciousness.  

So this here's the leprechaun! A take on the gin-and-tonic or the whiskey and tonic, using Irish whiskey:

  • 2 ounces Irish whiskey
  • tonic water
  • lemon twist for garnish
Pour the whiskey into a highball glass half-filled with ice cubes. Top with the tonic water and garnish with a lemon twist.

And there you have it, folks! Two seconds and you've got a zesty, powerful, refreshing drink that'll still put some fire in your belly. Gin's good, don't get me wrong, but it can sure chill you down. Whiskey always puts the heat into my innards. This is a good, strong kick of a drink. As always, I invite you to try it for yourselves.

More reviews to follow. Stay tuned every Thursday. My research department has become much more assiduous now that I'm home in the States and not grading deadhead students' papers. Get ready to sit back and join me for a drink once again. We're breakin' a hundred, got it?

No comments: