Monday, June 23, 2014

the Pope is coming

I noticed something interesting on the subway TV screens last week: images of Pope Francis interspersed with Korean churches and cathedrals. I didn't think much of it at the time, but a quick Internet check confirmed my suspicions.

The Pope is coming to South Korea. 

People.com

Between August 14 and 16, His Holiness, in his big heavy robes, will flit about this hot, steamy peninsula succoring the victims of the Sewol disaster, conducting Mass at various Korean cathedrals, presiding over the beatification of 124 Korean martyrs, and just generally doing papal things. There will be a parade near Gwanghwamun and (if the article I linked to above is to be believed) over 100 million people will be in attendance. 

I find that a little difficult to believe. This city's population is just over 10 million. I don't see how it could swell by 1000% and not explode. I don't think that many people could physically fit into this town, not even if they flung a bunch of pontoons into the Han River and turned it into a peanut gallery. 

Anyway, Miss H and I return from Hong Kong on the 7th of August, so we'll be here in time to see Francis. If we feel up to battling our way through the teeming throngs, we may try to get a glimpse of the fellow. It'd be cool to say we saw the first New World pope on an official mission of mercy. 

No comments: