Sunday, August 2, 2009

micro-level prerequisites for world peace

The question is often asked: "Why can't we all just get along?"

I've bloviated elsewhere about the answer to this trite-yet-apt query. I believe the problem to be due, simply, to a lack of perspective. Unable to sympathize with others or step into their shoes, some folk are thereby unable to compromise or maintain a peaceful demeanor, resulting in disagreements and even wars. (Not that I don't believe there's such a thing as righteous war; ho yes, it exists.)

Beyond perspective (or lack thereof) there might also be some more minor, superficial problems which form the roots of this planet's deplorable lack of peacefulness. Hot-headedness and over-aggressiveness might be one such problem. Some folks are just wound up tight. And what are people when they aren't relaxed? That's right, tense. Disagreeable. Surly. Sullen. Perhaps even bellicose and belligerent.

Another difficulty is ignorance. Humanity has always feared and mistrusted what it doesn't know and understand. Increased global knowledge and "worldliness" might indeed be the key to creating more international and interpersonal harmony and minimizing discord. The phrase "know your enemy" takes on a whole new meaning here; it might herald a peaceful end to conflict.

So, to that end, I have conceived a plan for instigating world peace on a micro-level...that is, on an individual basis. If everybody on the planet (or a vast majority) would just shut up and DO these three things, then we might all soon be leaving in a happier, quieter, more sane world.

Number 1 : Take some time every day to kick back, relax, and listen to some beautiful music.
This is the simplest one of the bunch. It can be any kind of music, so long as it's laid-back, slow, and most importantly, melodic. It doesn't even have to be John Lennon (although that does help; that man made some of the most lovely music in the history of the world, not even including lyrics). It can be classical (Strauss or Mozart or even some Beethoven works well, but the real masters here are Tchaikovsky and Rossini, I think), contemporary (take your pick, there's plenty of artists out there who make some of the most awe-inspiring, mellifluous rhythms and harmonies you could wish for), or whatever. Heck, listen to the sound of rainfall or beaches if that's what cools you down. Everybody just needs some time to stretch out prone, immerse themselves in the divine art of sound, and introspect for a spell. If nothing else, it's marvelous stress relief. It can be used as a preventative measure (say, before going to work) or in a remedial capacity (say, AFTER work). Any way you like, you can listen, that's the best thing.

Number 2 : Go up in the SR-71 Blackbird or the space shuttle and experience the Overview Effect. "The Overview Effect" is the term (coined by Frank White in his book The Overview Effect) for the feeling of anthropic admiration, love, peacefulness and unity that almost never fails to impinge itself upon the consciousness of human beings who have ascended far enough above the Earth's surface to see it in all its glory...and smallness in comparison with the rest of the Universe. As far as I know, it's never failed: once astronauts go up in space, or some TV documentary host hitches a ride on a high-flying airplane, and these tiny, fragile human beings catch a glimpse of our planet stretched out in all its majesty and uniqueness and beauty, an ineffable sense of awe comes over them. Things given such importance and precedence on the ground (political standpoint, nationality, religious differences, what have you) drop away with the atmosphere and leave the viewer humbled, wiser, perhaps slightly ashamed of his or her own prejudices. Perhaps most tellingly, however, all of these people who have gone up and experienced the Overview Effect come back with a more profound concern for human cooperation ("world peace," if you want to call it that). Now, it seems, in full knowledge of the scope of human existence and achievement after their heavens-scraping ride, these fortunate humans have realized how insignificant most people's disputes, problems and disagreements are. It's impossible to do this in front of your TV set, however. You have to physically be up there and experience it. If everybody in the world had the chance to do this—to go upstairs and get a look at Starship Earth—maybe we'd all bit a little more eager to quit squabbling, get along, and accomplish something great.

Number 3 : Hit the books.
I'm no political scientist, historian, anthropologist, or economist, but I would venture to suggest that half this world's problems are caused by ignorance. Ignorance of a thing is bad enough; ignorance of each other is unforgivable. If people would stop focusing on themselves, their culture, or their own traditions so much and took the time to learn about others', I don't think I'm far off the mark by saying (as so many others before me have said) that the world would be a better place. If those damn Muslim extremists weren't so brainwashed from birth with the Koran and Mohammed and Allah, and they took a time-out to actually get to know a few Jews in the corner bar over a few drinks, I highly doubt that even a spirited religious debate could get in the way of friendships being made. There's a reason they call it a "heart-to-heart." You open up to people on a deeply fundamental level that transcends beliefs and perceptions, and truly communicate. When that happens, people connect. And those connections can't be forgotten or severed or withered. And those connections are worth more to this world than all the gold that's buried in it, or all the kingdoms and empires that have passed upon it. Even if you just open up a book about the other side and read about what they do, it can only help you to learn more and understand (and perhaps stop disliking). Going over there and visiting is even better.

I knew nothing about Korea before I went there, except the name of the capital and the fact that the U.S. had had a war there. I actually kind of disliked Korea; I wasn't sure if the name sounded right rolling off the tongue. Boy, was I mistaken about it. I loved the place and still do. Its government is democratic, its outlook is conservative but fun-loving, the food is healthy AND delicious, and the people...well, most of the people there are worth their weight in gold. I met many dear friends, and I'll never forget the friendships and camaraderie I forged with the children (some of whom learned a thing or two about Westerners while I was around, too!). When I got there I was awkward, nervous, suspicious, scared; so were the children. But we opened up to each other. Classes went from silent to boisterous. I went from having kids veer out of my way to having them clamber all over me when I walked in the door. Even now I'm misting up thinking about it.

I'm not sure why I wrote this. Maybe it's because I'm listening to Coldplay right now (speaking of beautiful music). Maybe it's because I'm reading all this stuff on FoxNews.com about women having their babies cut out of them, and suicide bombings in the Middle East, and harsh words being exchanged between North Korea and the U.S.A., and I'm sick to death of it all (it doesn't have to be like this, folks; it might've been different). Maybe it's because I love flying and I've experienced a tiny bit of that Overview Effect myself, and firmly believe in its sociopolitical healing powers. Maybe I'm just a sentimental fool who's preaching too loudly to no one. All I ask, as always, is that you consider it. I wouldn't mind if the world considered it, either.


2 comments:

Frank White said...

Hello,

I wrote the book, "The Overview Effect," which coined the term for the experience of seeing the Earth from orbit or the moon and realizing the inherent unity and oneness of everything on the planet.

Thanks for including the idea in your blog. I hope we can stay in touch. You might want to take a look at the website of the Overview Institute at www.overviewinstitute.org and my blog at www.overviewinstitute.blogspot.com.


Best,
Frank White

A.T. Post said...

Thank you for your input! I look forward to communicating with you. I'll be sure to take a look at those links.