Saturday, May 1, 2010

a double-edged sword

We were given, in bartender's school, a very clear list of directives regarding customer service, proper conduct at work.

Don't give out free drinks.


Keep cigarettes and lighters on hand for the customers.


Serve the ladies first. It's polite.


Greet the men first. Then they won't feel like you're trying to steal their woman.


The most emphatic of these directives, one of the few that appeared on the written final, was this:

Don't talk about religion, politics, or social issues.


The School of Hooch is neither the first nor last place to discourage that sort of discussion. Politics is one thing you should never talk about in a barbershop, either. Not unless you enjoy looking like a shorn sheep, or losing a couple of ears. It's generally discouraged during awards ceremonies and speeches, too. Or it used to be, anyway.

Why? What's the reason for this? Why is politics—a broad term with many meanings, but generally describing the legislation and policy-making needed to govern a people efficiently, authoritatively and with a modicum of public satisfaction—such a taboo topic? How could something so important, so integral to our daily lives be forbidden in polite conversation? I'll tell you why. It's possibly the most subjective concept that ever existed on the face of the planet. Knocks the Duracell vs. Energizer debate into a cocked hat. Everybody's got their own idea about how a government ought to be. All of us think we know how politicians should think, work, and act. Everyone has their own views on taxes, power structures, checks and balances, and hot-button issues. It's because the political process is so important to our daily lives that it's a taboo topic. Take a firm stance on one issue and it's odds-on there'll be somebody in the room who flat-out disagrees with you, and will demonize you for it, too. Everyone's got an axiom to grind. People have taken to avoiding the subject of politics merely to avoid spending the rest of the evening shouting at one another.

This is one of the reasons I decided, early on, that this would not be a political blog. I have very, very specific political views. They are so esoteric that an above-average number of people would become inflamed if I flaunted them publicly. I am so outspoken that I would hotly defend against any attack, and consequently this blog would descend into an endless, self-perpetuating, vitriolic debate. That kind of thing gets old after a while.

I have a friend of sorts. His name is Bart. (Not really, but that's pretty close.) While I would call myself a conservative (with a few liberal tendencies), Bart is über, über liberal. He is constantly posting things on Facebook which I find objectionable: news articles from the Huffington Post, lambasting Arizona's recent immigration law; statistics from various pollsters confirming how much better a job President Obama is doing as compared to his predecessor; and news articles lauding the sweeping health care reform Obama signed into law not too long ago.

I never fail to take him up on these. And so, inevitably, we turn a simple link into a foot-long discussion thread, arguing back and forth about policy, and ideology, and procedure, and proper administration of government, and whatnot. We point out the flaws in each other's arguments, throw statistics at each other (well, he does; I'm well aware how easy it is to lie with statistics, so I tend to avoid them), and just generally have at it.

It's getting tiresome. He has his views, I have my views, and each of us is convinced the other is dead wrong. Our discussions, I'm sure, leave both of us feeling drained, exhausted, angry, perturbed, and somewhat hostile toward each other. (Sounds kind of like Congress, doesn't it?)

These dogfights of ours have brought something to my attention. Were it not for politics—if, perchance, Bart and I were totally ignorant of the political process, government, policy-making, agendas, public action, democracy, even Washington, D.C. itself—we'd probably get along just fine. We'd be chewing the fat about the weather, the last movie we saw, San Diego's shot at the Super Bowl next year, and humdrum stuff like that. Same goes for a lot of my liberal friends. We hang out, we talk, we drink, we debate, we do stuff together, all that jazz.

But in the back of our minds, there's a tiny, insidious seed of hostility. It's the hostility we feel toward one another for holding the views that we do. The contempt. The anger. The offense. We can pose and posture and equivocate all we like, it makes no difference. We can say "you're entitled to your opinion," and "you're perfectly free to hold the views you do," and all that conciliatory garbage. But the fact remains that we're on opposite sides of the fence. And secretly we hate each other for it. Politics can ruin friendships, drive lovers apart, spoil parties, destroy reputations, deadlock governments, even (in the case of radicals and extremists) kill thousands upon thousands of people. At its very core, it is a double-edged sword. It allows us to govern populations, administer aid to millions, protect the general interest, secure the future of nations and peoples. And yet, if we let it, politics can blind us to the simplest wonders of life: friendship, companionship, love, perspective, hope and truth.

This bothers me. Some of you readers out there, I know, have a much different outlook on life than I do. Your views on religion, politics, and social issues are probably as disparate from mine as night and day. And if you knew what I think, what I believe about the political process (and those hot-button issues)...well, you'd probably hate me for it. The only reason you tolerate my existence now is because I haven't told you what I think. We're strangers, you and I. We've never met in person. We're not as important to one another as lifelong friends would be, or even casual acquaintances who met on the street. Ours is the most fragile, ethereal, nebulous relationship in the world. Its dynamic consists solely of voluntary intellectual exchange. I read what you write and you read what I write. And I write insubstantial things. I prattle on about harmless, irrelevant issues which nobody can take a serious stance on. And, I'm told, I do it rather well, with an eloquent flair and a thoughtful touch. Were I to tell you what I think about, say, abortion, or illegal immigration, or health care, or war-fighting, or guns, or international relations... ...well, you'd probably hit that little "X" button in the top right corner of your Internet browser. After clicking the "un-follow" button, of course. Just because we disagree. Politics is a hell of a thing, isn't it?

Well, now that we've got the depressing stuff out of the way, I'll say good night. Some Like It Hot is on and I'm going to go watch it with the folks. There's a bourbon sour with my name on it, too. They ran the Kentucky Derby today, or so I'm told. Have to raise a glass to Entrepreneur Chick's beloved puppy-dog Emerson too. And all the Russians who undoubtedly spent the day parading through Red Square with their missiles and tanks. Cheers.



10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this post, Postie. I tend to be drawn to people with opposing views. I'm not sure why. But I could have taken your post and substituted the word "religious beliefs" and it would totally apply to me (I suspect that you and I are much closer in political views, but I'm not very militant in my political beliefs). My writing for the most part remains innocuous when it comes to my religious beliefs, and my fiction often reflects a completely different perspective simply because I'm fascinated by that exploration.

I always hope for honest dialogue between people of opposite beliefs and political views. It doesn't always come out that way, because, as you pointed out, people are very opinionated. But I look for the possibilities.

I'd never hit the X button with you, though, Postie. I hope you wouldn't with me either.

Shrinky said...

When reading a blog, political rants, whatever shade, virtually always turn me completely off. There is the odd exception, for example, if the author involved relates a personal issue experienced, directly influnencing the stance they take. I don't force my views down anyone's throat, I take exception to those wishing to impose theirs on me!

sarahjayne smythe said...

Awesome post. So very true. And as a high school history teacher, I keep my views very close to myself.

Jane Jones said...

I like how you dance around this subject without ever actually sharing your positions on volatile issues. It's not that you are afraid to, but you see the wisdom in not creating a fight when you don't have to. It's important to talk about these things, but there is a time and place. Maybe someday it will be possible to have a radical/revolutionary blog without people being scared away.
You are pretty clever sometimes ;)
And Some Like it Hot made me realize for the first time just why so many people were in love with Marilyn Monroe.

Smithy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Smithy said...

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you Mr Postman, much as I do with many of your political views as I'm sure you're aware.
My disagreement is two-fold.
1) The 'tiny seed of resentment' for me doesn't exist. I don't hold anybody's political views against them at all. Because....
2) Politics is bollocks. You and I could argue until we are blue in the face on the issues that we believe affect our lives and our happiness but guess what? Life will still go on and we will still both get screwed in our libertarian and conservative arses by The Man.
Life is too short to worry about politics. Because politics really doesn't worry about us.

A.T. Post said...

propinquity:

You know I ran into the word "propinquity" in that Faulkner book I'm reading today? And guess who I thought of?

That's the key: honest dialogue. Thanks for throwing that out there. If people would stop beating around the bush and being politically correct and start speaking plainly, things would get done. Ideas would be exchanged, not mission statements.

I'm glad you wouldn't hit the "X" button. I wouldn't hit it with you either. I wouldn't hit it with anybody. I don't make a habit of following blogs without giving them a fair shake.

Shrinky: Yeah, don't they though? It just turns one off. Gets beyond tiresome after a while. I can see you're one of the wise ones. Thanks for commenting.

sarahjayne: I'm blessed with another comment by you (whoops, that was passive voice, sorry teacher)! There are some places one should not take a stance, be it the classroom, or (as I figured) a blog where your future employers/foreign dignitaries might see it. Thanks for putting your two cents in.

Jane: Ah-ha! You know, I was slightly worried that people would get the wrong idea out of this. They'd think I was withholding that information out of cowardice. Glad you saw the truth (you're good at that). Thanks for the love.

That's one of the Marilyn Monroe movies I like best. She'd have been pretty cute if she wasn't so whacked-out. Still, she had class, and presence, which is a lot more'n you can say for a lot of other folks.

Smithy: I'm aware. And I don't hate you for it. I feel a bit annoyed with you sometimes, but that's just the little seed of hostility talking. ;)
You've got good perspective, Smithy. Politics sure doesn't care about us...even though it should. Blame me for being an idealistic blockhead and thinking there's more to politics than bollocks. Maybe that's why I take it so personally and get all hot and bothered over stuff that, as you say, really doesn't matter in the cosmic sense.

That needed to be said, for sure. Thanks for stopping in.

dolorah said...

Nah, I wouldn't hate you for your politics - unless you were very rude about it.

But, I also don't get into involved discussions with subjective issues. Call me a coward, but I just can't imagine ruining a friendship over differing views - especially if neither is in a position to influence those decisions.

You're alright in my book PM; and welcome to any political you want to keep to yourself (lol). And I think it gracious of you to acknowledge your political hotheadedness. Shows there's hope for a saner world.

Later Dude; hope you enjoyed the movie and family time. (and after a post like this, whiskey sour sounded the perfect tonic.)

.........dhole

Claire Dawn said...

Here's the thing about politics, religion, etc.

1. People often believe their view is the only viable view. Therefore aby reasonable person would hold the same view. So either people believe the same thing as other people or those peoples are idiots or heathens. Noone wants to believe their friends are idiots, so they try hard to get their point across.

2. People consider their politics, religion, etc, a part of who they are- not just a view. You ARE a liberal or a conservative. You ARE a Christian or a Muslim or a Hindu. Not you THINK like a liberal or a conservative or a Christian or a Muslim or a Hindu. So when people attack these views, they are attacking you as a person, because you ARE these things.

Or at least, I think that's how most people seem to feel to me.

I have strong religious views, and strong political views. While most people know I'm Christian, very few people know where I stand politically. That's because I'd rather not argue it. It is a part of who I am, but it doesn't change who I am. And for me, it doesn't change who you are either. So even if I think a used cat litterbox is worth more than you political stance, that doesn't change who you are for me.

However, I realise I am in the minority on this. :(

Jerry said...

I have perhaps had two friendly rational political discussions in my life with someone with apposing views. Those are the exceptions -- too often tempers began to flare and friendships strained. It is sad. Polite disagreement is fun.