Tuesday, May 25, 2010

a funny thing happened on the way to the bookstore

So there I was, wandering around Barnes & Noble, trying to figure out what the hell they'd done to the place. Everything was swapped around. The manga section had been shunted 30 feet to the northwest, the science fiction shelves had done an about-face, and it was anyone's guess where the dictionaries and thesauri had disappeared to. In the middle of this pursuit, I locked eyes with a two people coming inside the shop, who like me appeared somewhat disoriented. The woman was tall, middle-aged, with clear blue eyes, short dirty-blonde hair, sturdily built, wearing lots of denim. The man was similarly clothed, and had the look of a congenial vulture: tan-skinned, goggle-eyed, hook-nosed, pencil-necked, with a bald-patch crowning a ring of feathery brown hair.

I grinned sympathetically.
"They've switched everything around on us."
"I know," the woman said. "What's up with that?"
"Science-fiction section's over here now," I said, pointing, just to delineate which component of the store I habitually haunted. The woman, who was still wearing the same smile she had been when she entered, said, "Who reads science fiction? This is the book for you."
She held out a book. It was a large paperback with a black cover, and white, angular, futuristic lettering on it. It had some strange sort of illustration, like the Earth consumed with fire or laser beams. I turned the book over, and skimmed the synopsis. It was a militant science fiction epic, reminding me vaguely of Ender's Game, or perhaps Heinlein's Starship Troopers.
"Looks interesting," I said, handing it back.
"I wrote it," the woman said. Far too late, I noticed the similarity between the garishly-lit photograph on the back cover and the woman standing in front of me.
"Oh! Well...nice job."
"Yeah, thank you."
"Congratulations, you broke into that competitive market," I effused, grateful that I'd managed to think of something more edifying than "nice job."
"Thank you!" the woman said. She held up her book. "It's on the Barnes & Noble website. They won't put it on the shelves, though. I self-published, and they only stock the major publishers in their stores."
"Elitist pigs," I sympathized.
"That's why I'm here," she continued. "I need to talk to them about that."
My interest was piqued. I'd read a lot of blogs and websites about self-publishing, and I was beginning to think about trying it myself.
"You self-published?" I asked.
"Yeah," she said. That smile hadn't moved an inch, all the time we'd been talking. The woman's boyfriend (or whatever he was) had sneaked away and was paging through a large coffee table book in the markdown section.
"Self-publishing's the way to go," the woman said. "Self-publishing is killing regular publishing."
"So I've heard," I said. "I've read a lot of blogs and websites about self-publishing. I'm beginning to think about trying it myself."
"Do you write?" she asked.
"I've got a completed 53,000-word manuscript at home," I said, trying to remain in neutral. "Also science fiction."
The woman held up her book again. "This was originally 127,000 words. Then I came in here and bought a book about editing. I was able to cut out about 24,000 words."
"That so?"
"Yeah," she said. "Which is good, because with self-publishing, you pay by the page."
"I didn't know that."
"Yep," she said. "But my friends and readers said it was too short. They didn't want it to end."
For the first time, the woman's male companion spoke up. He had a pronounced English accent.
"I'm holding out for the sequel," he said to me. "Her book was good."
"What are you doing?" the woman asked him, looking at the book in his hands.
"I was trying to see if your Vista was in here," the man said. The woman peered at the book in his hands, and read the title aloud. "The World's Worst Cars?"
The man grinned, and let out an evil chuckle. Chuckling herself, the woman grabbed the book from him and threw it back on the shelf with its fellows.
"Are we getting out of here, or what?" she asked.
"Good luck with your negotiations," I said to the woman.
"Yeah, thank you!" the woman said, her smile hitching up another notch. "Good luck to you too."

I stayed at B&N just long enough to ascertain that copies of Writer's Market were in stock, then decided I could just sign up for an online account for $5.99 per month. Then I left.

Self-publishing. It had been something I had considered, and am still considering. I haven't yet tried (nor, therefore, failed) to find a major market for my book. Part of me would like to keep trying to get published by a well-known and established publishing firm, just to say that I could and did. Part of me would like to see my novel on the shelves of Barnes & Noble, gussied up and beautiful, the cover art shining out brighter than Botticelli's Venus, the name Bantam or Penguin or Doubleday emblazoned on the spine. The other part of me doesn't care WHO the heck publishes it, as long as it's printed and circulated, and finds its way to the hands and eyes and hearts of people who want to read it. The first part of me snickers at the second part and says, "Yeah, right. Thou craven! Wouldst thou forsake the emblem of Bantam or Doubleday? Wouldst thou content thyself with inferior binding, with a cheap paper cover and second-rate cover art, with limited circulation? A work which flasheth in the pan?"
"Thy argument hath merit," the second part of me sighs, shoulders slumping.
"This digit I hold before me hath knowledge of thy mother," sneers the first part.
The way I see it, there are pros and cons to self-publishing, just as there are to mainstream publishing. With self-publishing, your book
will be published, if you can pay...and don't care how small an audience your work reaches. On the other hand, you're nobody's fool, and don't give a hang for money-grubbing editors, unfair book deals, copyright scams, inept agents, or any of that rot. Decisions, decisions, decisions. I'll have to think about this one.

To publish, or to self-publish?
That is the question.



8 comments:

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Hello. Before you think about self-publishing go to L. Diane Wolfe's excellent blog
http://circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com/

Bottom Line : The bookstores won't carry you as you find out. Agents will know you paid to be published. And you will sell very few books.

Check out Diane's blog. Roland

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

First of all, let me just say that "congenial vulture" is a perfect description of my dad. One of my friends in high school actually used to secretly call him "Vulch." He always reminded me of Snoopy doing his vulture impersonation.

Anyhoo. I'm just curious, and maybe you already talked about this while I was away, but what ever happened to the lady who was interested in publishing your book?

dolorah said...

Everyone - and yes I say everyone - at some point thinks about self publishing. It's been in my mind for several months now. Some people are even successful at it.

To be successful, though, I think you have to pour a lot of time and energy into getting your work out there for the public to see. No matter how awesome the writing, publicity is what really sells a book. At least, in my opinion.

Getting the novel in some form of self publication would be the easy part; it just takes money. Marketing to the general public takes not only large investments of cold cash, but is probably a full time job.

I mean; look at all the time and energy sole proprietorship companies have to spend on advertising and collecting bids and building a customer list. Not much different than a free-lance writer chasing down story concepts and publishers to buy them.

I don't have that kind of dedication to self promotion. Or the capital.

You my friend Postie, might even be able to swing it. You've got a boat-load of drive and self motivation and some publishing credentials behind your name.

I think every aspiring author should check out the options. You never know when some alternative might work out for you.

Loved your bit of story here, BTW. Those descriptions were awesome.

.........dhole

Jerry said...

My friend -- I would recommend against self-publishing. The major downside is marketing. Yes, self-published books are placed in Amazon and what-not, along with 115,000 other books. The fact is you have to find and convince people to buy the thing. There is no one that will do it for you.

I think with your talent and moxie, you won't have any problems finding a publisher.

(I too have investigated self-publishing.)

A.T. Post said...

Roland: I'll be sure to check that out. You haven't led me wrong with links yet. Thanks a million. This would seem to confirm my suspicions...

Polly: HEY! Nice to see you!

You're kidding. I love Snoopy's vulture impersonation. Have a hard time picturing it on a person, though...can sort of see the eyes. Glad the simile resonated with you.

Oh. The lady. Well, never heard back from her. Been nearly four months now. Sent her a letter (by registered mail) saying, look, either tell me what you think or tell me that you're not going to tell me what you think. I need closure.

DH: That's what it seems like, you have to do a lot of work for an uncertain and perhaps limited return. And there's the money issue, which I am suffering from severely. You make some good points. The point is not to be published, after all. The point is to write. Thanks for the kind words and perspective, friend. As always, they're as precious jewels to me.

Jerry: That's what it's starting to look like. You make an excellent point there. You do a lot of the legwork yourself, and what you get out of it depends on how much time and money you pour into it. Doesn't seem right for me. Thanks for your thoughts, friend. I appreciate the vote of confidence.

Claire Dawn said...

Whichever way you go, make sure your book is the best it can be before you publish it!

Entre Nous said...

Start submitting to agents when you have edited your manuscript to the point of blood running out of your ears. Read the first three chapters onto a cd and mail away. Agents receive thousands of manuscripts a week and cannot possibly read them all. If you send a cd it is more likely they will pop it in the car while they are driving. Saves time, and they are able to report to their boss that they 'reviewed' x-number of manuscripts.

Self publishing is far too costly and you are not going to guarentee yourself a return.

Good Luck.

A.T. Post said...

Claire: Amen!

Entre Nous: Thank you for stopping by, first of all!

Good point. I sent this thing off to my beta readers WAY too early. Lots to do still. Various inconsistencies to be rectified, plot points to be mended and upbraided, coherency to be stitched together.

The CD idea is excellent! I've never heard that before. It'd be a lot more convenient for any agent. Thanks for shooting that my way. I'll try it.

Glad you put your two cents in on self-publishing, too. I was thinking the same thing. Doesn't seem like a good idea for me.