Tuesday, January 4, 2011

recommended reading

Call me Ishmael.

Never mind. That's a horrible name. Who cooked
that up, anyway?

I realize it's been a long, long while since I did one of these. Last time I was talking about, what, Vonnegut? No, that's right, it was Robert F. Scott and Antarctica and all that jazz.

So, I finished The Escape Orbit. You know, James White's obscure science fiction novel, found in a used bookstore in Lucerne Valley. (Finished it a looooong time ago, in fact. Just didn't have time to blog about it.) Awesome read, really grand. Good sci-fi authors never cease to amaze me with their ability to present a problem (or minor annoyance) whose cause turns out to be so much grander and more sinister than initially suspected. The Escape Orbit, as I've mentioned, concerns a group of human soldiers marooned on a tropical prison planet by their insect-like enemies. The planet is inhabited by monstrous creatures (somewhere between sharks and elephants) who won't hesitate to gore, trample or chomp the unwary. The book's protagonist, Sector Marshal Warren (the planet's highest-ranking officer and newest inmate) arrives and assesses the situation. There are two groups vying for influence among the new arrivals: the settlers, who consist of former military personnel who have abandoned their uniforms and now live peaceful civilian lives in communal villages; and the Escape Committee, a much smaller group of devoted officers who have retained (or manufactured) uniforms, military discipline, and protocol, and who are tirelessly working to effect an escape. Tensions between the two groups are extremely high, nearing open war at several points in the book.

Warren, after some consideration, joins the Escape Committee, along with his staff.

Why?

Because he sees a deeper necessity for escape, aside from returning much-needed personnel to the front lines of the war. If the Escape Committee is not taken off the planet, and tensions between them and the settlers are allowed to mount...

Well, I'll let you read the book and see what a brilliant premise White has laid down.

I'd give The Escape Orbit 9/10. I hardly ever give anything a perfect rating, you see. Ordinarily it'd be 10/10. The ending felt a tad rushed. Nah, that's nitpicking. It didn't really. I just don't want to give this thing a perfect 10 in case another novel comes along that really deserves it.

So, on to Herman Melville's galumphing behemoth of a seagoing adventure story: Moby-Dick.

How far have I progressed across this vast ocean of maritime literature since last we spoke?

Not very.

I read the foreword, the etymology section, and got started on the extracts (Melville saw fit to collect a hundred or so quotes regarding whales or great fishes and stuck 'em in the front of the book; pretty neat idea if you have the patience for it).

Then I promptly fell asleep.

Haven't trucked much with the book since then.

Come on. It's huge. Daunting, somehow. It's only fitting that a book about a leviathan would be leviathan-sized, isn't it? Poetic justice, I think they call it. Moby-Dick is just a little bit intimidating, like a literary black hole sitting on my beside table, sucking all thoughts of lighter reading out of my head.

I was unsure how to proceed. Should I knock the smaller items off my "to-read" list, and then tackle the monstrous Moby-Dick? Or should I wrestle with that one first and put the rest of my library on hold? I was perplexed. Neither choice seemed pleasant. Especially since I had attempted to read Moby-Dick before and found it drier than a year-old soda cracker.

But since I finished up with The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Vol. IIA, which has occupied most of my reading time, I've had an epiphany.

Yes, yes, I know it's two days too early for an epiphany. The Epiphany happened on the sixth of January. But what's two days between you and me?

Here's the big idea.

Since it's the new year and all, and 2011 stretches out bright with promise for 360-plus days, and I've usually got about thirty minutes of free time in the evenings no matter what I'm doing, why don't I try this:

I'll read a chapter of Moby-Dick a day.

(No "dick-a-day" jokes, please.)

One chapter every day, until I finish the dang thing. It'll be quite a span, but it'll keep me from drooling and going all glassy-eyed from trying to read too much at once. I've always wanted to read a book one chapter at a time. You know, get into bed, put on my glasses, take out my bookmark, read a few pages, put the bookmark back in, take my glasses off, turn out the light and go to sleep with a big silly grin on my face. That would be a "novel" way to read books, wouldn't it? (Ho ho ho!) I usually just swallow them whole, gobbling up five chapters at a stretch. Call it an obsessive compulsion. I've never allowed myself time to sit back, relax, take the work one chunk at a time, and mull it over in a leisurely manner.

Well, I'll have plenty of time to mull this over. My edition of Moby-Dick (complete and unabridged, Tom Doherty Associates, Inc.) is 605 pages long and possesses 135 chapters. That means, then, that if I read the first chapter ("Loomings") tonight, and keep the regimen going without fail, then I'll be done sometime in late May.

As my brother so aptly asked, "Are you going to remember what happened at the beginning of the book by the time you get to the end?"  

We'll see, bro. We'll see. Only way to find out is to try it. There but for the grace of bookmarks go I.

And if it does work, then I'll do the same thing with Joyce's Ulysses.

If it happens that I tire of Melville's heavy hand and want to take the evening off, then I've got A Clockwork Orange to sustain me. I picked it up at the used bookstore a while back. Heard a lot about it and decided to see what all the fuss was about. Of course I read some background on the work and its author, Anthony Burgess, beforehand. I was...impressed, to say the least. By all accounts this is a controversial book. I was lucky and got my hands on one of the first versions to have the infamous final chapter put back in. (Previous publishers mysteriously decided that it wasn't necessary.) But beyond that, this book apparently has some rather graphic violence in it. Everywhere I researched A Clockwork Orange, the phrase "ultraviolent" kept jumping out at me—even the author's foreword. So I'll read, and probably wince a bit too. I'll update you lot when I finish. Maybe I'll see the movie if I'm feeling charitable towards Hollywood. (Don't hold your breath.)

And now, to finish up, please enjoy one of my very own de-motivational posters! Straight from the heart, folks:



6 comments:

Carrie said...

The first one sounds like something I should check out. Moby Dick is a novel I'm not going anywhere near. We had to read a series of excepts and a summary in one of my literature classes, and that was enough for me to know I wouldn't survive it.

However, the chapter at a time thing is actually really effective. It's how I read Jane Austen, which even though I love, gets tedious after a while. It's all the fancy language and properness, I think...

When you finish Moby Dick, you'll be my hero. ;)

Jerry said...

I'll put 'The Escape Orbit' on my list. I'm always in the market for good SF. Good luck with 'Moby Dick' -- I figure your way is the only way to read it. 'Clockwork Orange' -- I saw the movie and am anxious to hear how you liked the book.

Olivia J. Herrell, writing as O.J. Barré said...

Hello Postie, it's been ages since I've been around, I've missed you. Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and OH, did I miss TG? If so, Happy Thanksgiving, too.

It amazes me that you can make yourself read something. I don't have the patience, if it doesn't grab me then well, I can't grab it.

Enjoy your daily doses of Melville. LOVE the new look of your blog and I see you've finally let everyone know your name. Well, sorta.

How's the relationship going?

Miss you, that rebel, Olivia

dolorah said...

I love the view from the cockpit :) And the demotivational poster, well it says it all (lol).

I'm afraid (really) I'd never get through Moby Dick, but to tackle Ulyssus? No, I'd have to pass.

Escape Orbit does sound interesting. One of my "goals" for this year is to get back into reading for pleasure in the evenings. I miss reading mainstream published books - good or bad, thick or thin. I buys books constantly that just sit on the shelf.

Good luck with your reading project. A Clockwork Orange sounds like a must read too. I'm pretty sure I have it on my shelf - or still in a bag. Hmm, have to check.

.........dhole

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

I love love love your new header! Best ever.

I'm embarrassed to admit it, because I have a Master's degree in English, but I've never even attempted to read Moby Dick. I'd like to though. Someday. I'm just not much into fiction these days. I tend to read in the genre I'm attempting to write in - creative nonfictiony, literary journalismy, essayish stuff. That's what really excited me when it's done well, but if any book of any genre doesn't engross me by about the second chapter, I tend to abandon it.

A chapter a day, hmm? I'm curious to see how that goes; do keep us updated.

Jon Paul said...

Sorry man! When it comes to humor, I simply can't top "dick-a-day..." But of course, I'm anxious to hear how things go.

On a different topic, I just wanted to stop in and say thank you. I'm celebrating my blogs one year anniversary today, and you were a big part of why I kept with it.

From the bottom of my heart, thanks! :D