Monday, November 18, 2013

the Facebook parabola


We've just reached the peak of it.

I reckon I know when I'll be coming back into the fold: December 18.

I'm sitting here, sucking on a glass of Black Velvet (which I totally forgot I had until I did that post about how I see the world). There's a super-duper thunderstorm going on outside. It's only about 44 degrees and the rain is just pounding. This stuff must have started out as snow. Either way, it's bad news for all the homeless folks in Seoul right now. I hope they got to cover, especially the legless and armless ones. 'Tain't a fit night out for man nor beast.

With the idyllic evening in full swing, I figured, hell: why not give you guys a progress report?

I picked the above date for a couple of reasons which seemed pertinent at the time. Number One, it'll be the two-month mark. Exactly. Dead-on. Sixty days (more or less) without Facebook. Seems like a sound number. More than enough to break a habit, right? I can already tell the difference. There's a big change. I feel like my Internet use is healthier, I spend less time staring at screens, and I do more cool stuff outside the apartment now. I hardly miss my little blue friend anymore. My right hand has quit moving of its own volition. The only symptom that remains is that incessant urge to put my latest pithy platitude or ribald observation up in your news feeds. I might not resist that temptation, though. Folks I know on Facebook seem to enjoy them platitudes. I've actually gone so far as to make a list of witty Facebook statuses to put up retroactively when I get back on in a month.

Hmm...maybe I'm not as cured as I thought.

The second reason is that NaNoWriMo will be well over by mid-December. I want to make sure I finish that up (and have some time to keep going afterward).

Third: the fall semester will be done with. Final exams will be completed. I'll be in the midst of grading them, sure, but the daily madness of regular class will be past.

Fourth: I kind of need to be back on Facebook before I finish grading and go off to Australia and Hokkaido. Then I can put up all my lovely photos and make you saps jealous. There are some people I'm planning to rendezvous with while out on the road, too, and Facebook would greatly facilitate that process. I hate to admit it, but my little blue friend is good for something.

So there you go. Get set for my triumphant return, Facebook. I'm comin'. I hope to see you all at the reunion party.

2 comments:

Forte said...

Wondered where you'd gone. At first I got offended and thought you'd deleted me. Miss the stream of pith and nonsense, look forward to having you back, too many ultrasounds and wedding snaps these days.

A.T. Post said...

Believe you me, I have a tome's worth of accumulated pith and nonsense ready to be applied retroactively to Facebook upon my triumphant return. Glad someone's missed it.