Saturday, December 28, 2013

2013...as it relates to 2014

Dear Blogsphere: 

Miss H has flown home for her brief winter break. I just saw her off at the sparkly, well-lit Incheon Airport. I now have eight lonely days to devour pungent seafood, scratch myself, burp, shower every 72 hours and just generally act like a mangy orangutan an unwed male twentysomething.

This was originally supposed to be a post about what I did during my recent Facebook hiatus, but then I thought I'd go one better and tell you what-all I did during 2013. (It's becoming a tradition.)

So here, as noted in my little black spiral-bound notebook, is what I did during the two-month break from the Book o' Faces:
 

  • read Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
  • started reading The Great Shark Hunt by Hunter S. Thompson and Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (which are the reasons I didn't read more during the break)
  • wrote, printed, administered and graded midterm exams
  • wrote, printed, administered and graded final exams
  • bet on the winning horse and scored ₩1,200 at Seoul Racecourse Park (about $1.10)
  • watched the sunset from Gwangjin Bridge (pictured below)
  • toured Seolleung and Jeongneung
  • found and ordered Coleman waterproof matches (for my pipe) on Gmarket
  • joined a gym
  • rode a two-person bike with Miss H for the first time (at Ttukseom Resort)
  • watched Red Dawn (2012), Jeremiah Johnson (1972), Wrath of the Titans (2012), The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013), Catching Fire (2013), The Edge (2010), and In the Fog (2012) 
  • had the fraying cuffs of my two coats repaired (our tailor's a magician)
  • assembled a bug-out bag (in case the NoKos invade)
  • discovered a bitchin' new bar in Cheonho (Heaven's Key)
  • tried to catch the O-Train and failed
  • edited Novel #2
  • got nearly 40,000 words into my NaNoWriMo project
  • took my computer to Gangnam to be repaired
  • failed at NaNoWriMo
  • brewed my first partial mash beer with the boys (a British red ale)
  • drank expensive cocktails on the 41st floor of the Sindorim Sheraton Hotel with Miss H
  • explored Gapyeong and Namiseom
  • tried a new shrimp-rice dish at the corner diner
  • dumped the red ale down the toilet (suspected bacterial infection)
  • bought a new backpack for Australia (₩58,000)
  • went to the Seoul Lantern Festival
  • took several glorious naps
  • bought my own set of beer-making supplies
  • had corned beef hash at Butterfingers in Gangnam
  • went to Incheon for our customary Thanksgiving dinner at Fog City Diner and bought sourdough bread from the proprietor
  • had my first halfway-decent conversation with a Korean cabbie
  • brewed (and drank) a nice chocolate porter with the fellas
  • finally mailed those souvenirs from China to my parents
  • rode down to Busan on the KTX for a Christmas party; met up with everyone on Geoje Island; had tapas and wine, watched a football match at an Irish pub, and wound up at a noraebang
  • watched the sunset from the top of the Lotte Department Store in Nampo-dong, Busan
  • caught the night train to Seoul
  • booked my Hokkaido junket
  • reconnected with an old friend (my illustrator)
  • came down with rhinitis
  • went on the Itaewon Foodie Crawl (French, Spanish, Russian and Italian)
  • picked new names for the fictitious cities, countries and continents in my sci-fi series
  • brewed a nice ginger IPA with my beer-buddies
  • did 18 hours of extra classes during finals week
  • took Novel #3 to 81,000 words and Novel #4 to 38,000 words

And here, included as a...supplement? Addendum? Appendix? Well, whatever. Here's the rest of what I accomplished in 2013:


  • read Hiroshima by John Hersey, Skybreaker and Starclimber by Kenneth Oppel, Distant Thunders and Rising Tides by Taylor Anderson, Dubliners by James Joyce, The Last Time I Was Me by Cathy Lamb (part of a book-exchange program with Miss H), and five or six other titles I don't recall...far short of my goal of 30
  • tried and failed to keep a book diary (obviously)
  • finished my contract at Avalon English in Bucheon
  • moved to Seoul, the world's most populous city (proper)
  • got a job at Sejong University (and successfully completed my first year there)
  • got straight A's on all my teaching evaluations, too
  • started the semester with tonsillitis, though
  • attended a family reunion in Iowa in July
  • swam in a man-made lake
  • went to see Jesse James's childhood home
  • finally got to eat (and drink!) at the Yardhouse in Victoria Gardens
  • fired a Smith & Wesson Model 10 
  • traveled through western Japan on the Shinkansen in August (Tokyo → Kyoto → Kumamoto)
  • rode the JR Beetle from Hakata to Busan
  • ate horse meat
  • got into home brewing with my coworkers
  • toured Beijing and the Great Wall of China for the Chuseok holiday
  • ate fried scorpion (that was on the bucket list!) as well as roast duck and bullfrog soup
  • picked up a pile of PC games on Steam
  • wrote humor pieces for Rabble Rouse the World
  • bought a Stanwell beechwood pipe and Captain Black tobacco
  • purchased a bottle of 10-year-old Ardbeg single malt Scotch with spare change
  • started Novel #4
  • submitted a dozen or so short sci-fi stories to e-magazines like Space Squid, 3LBE and Daily Science Fiction (publication still eludes me, however)
  • grew a beard (bucket list!)
  • received an e-reader (a Nook) from my significant other as a gift; haven't touched it

And that's about all I can think of for now.

Here's the part where I'm supposed to tell you what I've got planned for next year. Alright, here you go: another two semesters at Sejong University, the Sapporo Snow Festival in Hokkaido in February, a summer trip to Alaska and some other destination as-yet-unchosen, e-publishing Novel #2, shopping Novel #1 to publishers, finishing Novels #3, #4 and possibly #5, smoking the dickens out of my pipe, moving out of this hellhole villa, brewing the tastiest beers this side of the East China Sea, planning my wedding, and growing this beard down to my sternum.

Postman out.

2 comments:

Liza said...

How did the horse meat taste? Better than the fried scorpion? Happy New Year. Just think what 2014 will bring!

A.T. Post said...

As I had been told, the horse meat was sweet. Much more tender and sweeter than beef or pork. I liked it better than the fried scorpion, which was almost exactly like salted popcorn.

Happy New Year! Thanks for stopping by!