Friday, December 6, 2013

Busan blowout

The Wonder Girls, one of Korea's most popular K-Pop groups (temporarily disbanded thanks to Sunye's marriage). 
Time for another Christmas party in Geoje (near enough to Busan for me to capitalize on the alliterative opportunity)!

Miss H and I are catching the 8:10 KTX from Seoul Station this morning. Once in Busan, we'll ride the subway out to Hadan, grab the old Geoje bus, cross the bridge, get another bus to Okpo, and then finally wind up where we need to be: J&J's apartment, full of mulled beverages and warm spirits. Free accommodations, too. J&J always pull out the stops for everybody and they treat us right.

That gingery IPA the fellas and I brewed last weekend will be ready to bottle when I return. I've faithfully taken hydrometer readings every day and the specific gravity has settled right around 1.016-1.017. A bit high perhaps (most beers settle between 1.005 and 1.015, I'm told), but palatable. It tastes gingery and hoppy, too, so I'm content. 


There are a few things I want to talk to you about when I get back. First off, I think I've finally solved my V.D.Q.—in a way that might surprise you. I've essentially decided to go nowhere at all this winter. There are money issues involved, yes, but other factors as well. Let's talk 'em over.

As for reading, I'm still working my way through Tolstoy's Anna Karenina (at an iceberg's pace), and The Great Shark Hunt by Hunter S. Thompson (I may have to go ahead and read the other three volumes of The Gonzo Papers, though they be decades out of date). I will likely start in on Paul Theroux's Ghost Train to the Eastern Star, which I mentioned previously, when I return from South Gyeongsang Province.

That's if I finish the million or so make-up quizzes I must give some of my students, finish writing and printing my final exams, and (simply put) survive the rest of this semester. I also have to send a package off home with all the goodies from Korea and China. And a Christmas card for my grandparents. Yes, I'm doing Christmas cards this year. Seems like the thing to do. No excuse not to with them being just 400 won at my campus store (and in English).

And to leave you with a piece of good news...Insadong is still there. They haven't demolished it yet. Here's hoping they don't. 

No comments: