Sunday, April 19, 2009

cocktail review no. 2 - Viva Villa

Darn, I meant to be doing one of these at least every week or so. Things never work out the way you plan 'em, do they? Anyway...

This drink, I can only assume, must be named after Pancho Villa, the infamous Mexican renegade and bandito. I divined this not only from the name of the drink but also the salient fact that there's tequila in it. Fortunately I still have some Jose Cuervo left! I scrimped and saved all my spare change for a month to get the ₩38,000 necessary for that bottle, and now I'm getting mine.

Oh, right, the ingredient list:

  • 2 ounces tequila
  • 1 ounce lime juice
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons superfine sugar
  • 1 lime wedge
Place the sugar in a saucer, then rub the rim of the cocktail glass with the lime wedge. Then, dip the cocktail glass into the sugar to coat the rim. Discard the lime, combine the tequila, lime juice and lemon juice in a shaker half-filled with ice cubes; shake well. Strain into the cocktail glass.

Interesting buildup, but unless you really like the tequila-and-lime-juice combo, you won't get as much of a kick out of this as you think. The citrus is nearly overpowering. The sourness tends to eclipse the tequila, and the sugar can hardly compete. It's fun to make, but only mediocre in the taste department. As always, I invite you to be the judge...I just reckon they could have found a better way to pay tribute to ol' Pancho.

No comments: