Wednesday, April 22, 2009

cocktail review no. 3 - New York Cocktail

Third time's lucky, they say. The last two cocktails I've reviewed haven't gone over so well. The Gates of Hell was a complete flop; Viva Villa sustained my interest for a time, but was ultimately a letdown. So, without further ado, let's hear about the New York Cocktail. Honestly, where do they get these names? I've had the Nevada Cocktail, the Havana Cocktail, even the Kangaroo Cocktail, and there's nothing in any of those monikers that gives a clue to the contents of the drink. Let me therefore alleviate the suspense:

  • 2 ounces blended whiskey
  • 1 ounce lemon juice
  • ½ teaspoon superfine sugar
  • ½ teaspoon grenadine
  • 1 lemon twist
In a shaker half filled with ice cubes, combine the whiskey, lemon juice, sugar and grenadine. Shake well, then strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with the lemon twist.

It came out pink. That unnerved me. I've had some bad experiences with pink drinks, particularly the Jillionaire. However, my fears were (for once) unfounded. This drink is mild but tasty. That whiskey-lemon juice combo is hard to beat. The grenadine isn't overwhelming and the sugar provides a nice back beat. This one's a keeper. Just don't judge it by its cover...rather like you wouldn't judge the Big Apple now, right?

from frontpagemag.com

No comments: