Wednesday, February 3, 2010

fireside chat

I was reading something on Jon Paul's blog Where Sky Meets Ground about how this one blogger has surpassed 100 followers after blogging for just two months. Why? Because her content is amazing, he says. I've run across several blogs which other folks label "amazing," and I'm still not sure exactly what the common factor might be. As near as I can figure out, though, these "amazing" blogs are popular because they speak the truth. They resonate. They tell stories everyone can relate to. They showcase the human condition in some evocative way. They're simply written, intimately personal, refreshingly honest, and often eerily familiar. Jon Paul has declared his intention to begin publishing stories about the lessons he's learned during his eighteen-plus years in the military, specifically in regards to writing. That should resonate with any male between the ages of 13 and 99; plus a vast cross-section of the population who are interested in writing, or need help with some of the particularly trying aspects of it. Now, I'm not saying that I blog just to garner followers. No worthwhile blogger does. That's not the point. Having a zillion followers is good in some ways; feedback, community-building, and (for writers) literary criticism. But it's an added bonus, not the ends of the means. That being said, I wouldn't object to appealing to a wider audience. Right now, I suppose, this blog is pretty esoteric: booze, literature, aviation, travel. If you're an earthbound, jingoistic, illiterate teetotaller, the Sententious Vaunter will hold no interest for you. What am I missing? Those stories. Those relatable, resonant, intriguing vignettes. Those intimate, whimsical glimpses into people's lives that I (and many others) love to read. Dumb dogs. Vanishing passports. People who forget their gender after a few drinks. After all, people don't live on book reviews alone. Unfortunately for me, I don't get drunk often enough to tell war stories about myself and Wild Turkey. I'm not living in a foreign country, unless you consider my room the home ground and the rest of Mom and Dad's house alien territory. Nothing much ever happens in this town besides murders, rapes, gang fights, drug deals, and sexual predation. Most of the stuff I do with my friends is pretty typical: we watch movies, go to dinner parties, drink beer, go off-roading, etc. (Actually, THAT might be worth blogging about...something really interesting happened. We were driving back down Pilot Rock Road after failing to reach Fawnskin the back way due to heavy slush when a dirtbiker flagged us down, and...) But fear not! I may have failed to judiciously post current events and thus keep my blog timely, but I shall not fail in this. I hereby resolve to devote a few more posts to personal stories. I bloviate a lot, but I don't reminisce enough. So I'm going to tell you some of the funny, interesting, whimsical, didactic, touching, enlightening, enrapturing and hilarious things that have happened to me. If nothing funny, interesting, whimsical, didactic (etc.) has happened recently, I'll draw on something from previous years, college life or childhood. We'll have ourselves a little fireside chat every now and again. Should be a good time. Stay tuned. And if you like what you see, follow along. It'll probably get better.

11 comments:

Carrie said...

This coincides with something I've been wondering about a lot lately: Just what is it that keeps my readers coming back?? My life isn't a party. It's not even biography-worthy. But something about it pulls 'em in and I wish I knew what that was...

Your blog, on the other hand, is fascinating on a few levels.

First, your blog-evaluating posts like these really resonate for me. I have a lot of thoughts along the same lines and I'm constantly questioning my decision to join the blogging community. I'm not typically the type of person who lays things out for people to judge. Lol.

Second, it's fun to get to watch someone go for their goals. Especially when those goals involve flying. ;)

And third, your blog isn't full of the fake-ish angst that a lot of people put on their pages. It's refreshing to have some one tell their story like it is.

However, I'm quite looking forward to these reminiscing tales. It's good to shake things up once in a while, so save me a spot by the fire. I'm up for it.

Roni Loren said...

Gaining followers is such an interesting thing. I think some of it is about personal stories, but I don't do a ton of those and have had success with gaining readers. (I started blogging six months ago and now have over 300 followers--which still blows my mind.)

I think what's most important is that you a)are genuine b) give your readers a takeaway (a laugh, a tidbit of info, a question to ponder), c)keep a regular schedule and d) reciprocate (leave comments and follow other people).

So I think you need to blog about what comes naturally to you, whether it be stories or not, and do the rest of those things and the followers will show up for the party. :)

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with both Roni and Carrie. They both summed up my feelings very nicely. I found your blog because you had somehow found mine and left a comment. I followed your blog because I simply love the way you see the world, and how you write about it. You are an amazing writer, and you would never have to tell a single anecdote to keep me coming back. I simply like what you have to say and how you say it. Thanks for sharing.

Sharon said...

I think if you're not honest, people will see through you and pass you over. You, Postman, are a joy to read, regardless of the topic.

Can't wait for some quality chats fireside...!

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

I don't think you're "missing" anything. I second what everyone else has said about you, wholeheartedly.

I've thought about modifying my content to appeal to a larger audience, but every time I start thinking in that direction, it's almost immediately followed by a sour feeling toward blogging, so I nix it.

I would rather have a few readers who find inspiration in my writing about things that inspire me, than a whole bunch of readers who I'm putting myself in a box to keep around. (Ha! - I've done that enough in my romantic relationships!)

I write to explore what interests me and to develop conversations around it. I don't need everyone to agree with me, but I don't want to change my topics to get more conversations.

However, I do keep "audience" in mind to a certain degree. What to say and what not to. What is valuable to share and what's better kept to oneself. It's a fine line sometimes.

A.T. Post said...

Carrie: I wiped my forehead and breathed a big "Whew!" when I read the wonderful things you wrote. Thank you. I'm especially glad that I'm not guilty of "fake-ish angst." That was one of my greatest fears. I'll save a spot by the fire.

Roni: Ah, now that's the other thing. You're doing something specialized. You speak mostly on the writing of fiction, which is something that resonates with hundreds of thousands of aspiring authors. I think you're right about A-D. My trouble is with B; maybe I'm not giving my readers a take-away. I'll try to remember that from now on.

propinquity: Well, gee! I'm turnin' red now! Thank you for your kind words. They mean the world to me (the funny thing is, I could say the exact same thing about YOUR blog and what YOU write; resonant, lovable, amazing).

Chloe: I'm glad to hear you say so. After all, as a blogger, I live for you, my readers. That's a very high compliment you've bestowed upon me, and I appreciate it immensely, friend. Right back at you. Quality chats fireside coming up.

A.T. Post said...

Polly: Ah, you sneaked your comment in there right before I posted this one! Nice ninja-style commenting you've got going there.

Thanks very much indeed for what you said. I probably would get that sour feeling about blogging, but then again...I LOVE to talk about myself. But more than that, I like telling funny stories, and though I'm no Arthur Dent, some funny things have happened to me. And the conversations that come after aren't bad, either (that's a dimension I hadn't even considered before I began blogging; the discussions that develop out of posts, and the inspiration exchanged).

I guess as long as I toe that fine line between decency and interest, I'm okay. Thanks for a thought-provoking reply (as usual).

jinxed said...

i agree that writing about things that you know, have experienced makes it a better read and people tend to come back to such blogs. I try doing that too more often than not, only that I don't always get the impetus to write everything and anything possible...

Jon Paul said...

Postie--Wow! Thanks for the link love, man! I tell ya, this coincidence stuff is too hard to fathom. I have you all linked up for my Friday Link Love post tomorrow, so great minds must think alike.

I think your fireside chat idea is a good one--but I agree with the other commenters who caution against changing your focus too much. I agree with Pollinatrix: I don't think your missing anything.

One of the things I've been really interested in over the last couple years is network behavior (done some reading on it)--and IMHO networks are prone to behave in unforeseen and unexpected ways. Their growth isn't always linear and it's not always clear why they go in certain directions. Thus I think if you keep at it, you'll hit a tipping point and your followership will begin to grow at a much faster rate.

For myself, I get a big kick out of everything you write--that's why you'll be at the top of the list tomorrow for my Friday Link Love post.

Again, keep up the good work--and thanks!

Anonymous said...

Oh my! I just took a glance over at the links myself. Thanks, Postman, for adding me to the list! I'm honored.

A.T. Post said...

jinxed: Nice to see you again! Impetus is a problem sometimes. But I won't write stories about me too often. People might get bored. Thanks for the advice.

Jon Paul: I'm almost getting used to these coincidences. I blog something, and it turns out that another blogger I'm following was thinking along similar lines (or vice-versa; happens to Polly and me all the time). Great minds think alike indeed.

That's an extremely good piece of advice right there: I suppose I was viewing the glass half-empty by thinking my blog was too specialized. I have a focus, that's what I've got, and I don't want to change it too much, you're quite right. Thank you for the vote of confidence (and the perspective).

That true about networks? Makes sense. I suppose it's an exponential thing. The more people you have following you, the more THEIR followers will check you out by proxy. Good to know. Thank you very much for the kind words, sir. I appreciate it immensely.

propinquity: You're quite welcome! Yours is a worthy, fun, relevant and delightful blog, and a joy to read.