Tuesday, February 23, 2010

coulda, shoulda, woulda

I wouldn't last long in the military. You know why? Because I'm stupid, that's why. Most recruits in the armed forces have this thing called routine. There are certain tasks they're expected to accomplish each day. To help them accomplish them, they have a drill sergeant. But perhaps more importantly, they have another really neat thing called work ethic. (It might also be construed as fear of the drill sergeant's can of whoop-ass, but let's stick with the perfect world, shall we?) They have to want to get their assigned tasks done. They have to want to be at boot camp. They have to want to sculpt perfect hospital corners whenever they make their beds, finish their morning run in good time, score high during marksmanship trials and so forth. By adhering to that work ethic and by steadily completing their routine every day for weeks, recruits get an idea of what's expected of them, what they're supposed to be doing, and how things are supposed to go. They know what to do, how to do it, when to do it, and what the benefits are to doing it (not being appointed a permanent latrine orderly, for example). Me? Not a chance. I just sort of caper along through life, visions of dancing daisies in my head, whistling a happy tune until I run smack into a brick wall or fall down a manhole. Very, very rarely will I actually stop in my tracks, straighten up, scratch my head and yell, "Hey! I should be doing THIS!" That happened to me this morning. It was eleven o'clock. I had woken up at 9:30, rolled out of bed, eaten a heaping bowl of Honey Bunches of Oats, dragged a brush through my hair, and had been reading other people's blogs all morning in my pajamas. After a while, I finally got off my duff and into the shower. As I was bending down to pick up the bath rug and hang it over the edge of the tub, I suddenly thought, "HEY! Instead of loafing around the house all day, blogging, studying bartending flashcards, lackadaisically searching for a job, reading The Epic of Gilgamesh or playing video games, I could be starting in on my second novel!" (Well, something like that, anyway.) Immediately following, an enormous rush of childish glee ran through my body. It was as if Christmas was suddenly the day after tomorrow, or I'd suddenly won an all-expenses-paid trip to Las Vegas, effective immediately. It was the old, intoxicating feeling of anticipation and excitement. It was the writing fever. And it was back. It had fallen by the wayside in the wake of my first novel, replaced by the revision blues. I don't know about you, but I've never really liked editing and revising and proofing. Anyone who's ever spotted a typo in my blog posts will realize that. Typos are anathema to me. I'm a good speller. I'm something of a wordsmith, in fact. But I do make mistakes. And what's worse, I can't always be bothered to find them and fix them. I'm working on that, but it's a hard slog. But never mind about that. The point is that there's always something more I could be doing. And very rarely do I realize it. I get complacent too easily. I fall into a rut, stagnate, and just sort of stew for a while. Often it takes some calamity to make me notice how much I've slacked off. I mean, come on. I love writing. I'm drunk on this story I'm creating. Writers understand how much of a trip, a joy, a high, a tremendous kick in the pants writing is. It's like a drug, an illicit love affair (as Laura said). I can't understand why I would hesitate to dive back in. I'm not daunted by the task. I actually have a much clearer idea of the plot of this second book than I did for the first. Even now, as I contemplate the prospect of writing the next chapter in the series, my pulse quickens and my eyes gleam. I just got complacent. Lazy. Indolent. Mush-brained. The only thing I have on the docket for today is studying, studying. I have one final time-trial to pass at bartender's school, sours and blended drinks. (While we're on the subject of dithering, I could've been finished with bartender's school a lot sooner, too.) The newly-completed flashcards are sitting right here next to me on the bedspread. I have merely to roll over, pick them up, and begin the long process of memorizing 40 drinks before tomorrow. But in the meantime, I sat here for an hour and a half in my PJs, wasting precious time on the Internet. Yesterday I made those flashcards, sent an e-mail to my potential employer, and took an introspective walk. That's all I did. I've been dreaming and scheming about this novel series for years, and it was only the act of stooping to pick up a bath rug that made me realize that I'm spinning my wheels. Sometimes I really wish I could reach inside my head and punch my brain. A lot of writers can fall into this trap. Writing is fun, but it's hard work, too. Like an exercise routine, it can sometimes be difficult to start—even to remember to start. Maybe you're busy with other things: children, work, studies, hobbies, friends, obligations. You harangue, you chivvy, you exhort, but you just can't seem to get started. Perhaps you rationalize, and tell yourself that you'll get started first thing tomorrow morning. But tomorrow morning rolls around, and the idea stays in your head and your fingers off the keys. Maybe you throw up straw men, working on lesser projects while the Big Idea simmers on the back burner. That works for a while, but something's gotta give eventually. The best suggestion I've heard for combating the Great First Hurdle of Starting was given me by Stephen King. In his excellent autobiography-slash-writing guide, On Writing, King suggests that you get yourself a routine. Pick an hour in the morning or the evening. Make sure it's the same hour every day: six o'clock, or 7:47, or 11:09, whatever. You must be consistent. Sit down at your computer (or typewriter, if you're the old-fashioned sort) and write. Even if you don't feel like it. Even if your brain tells you that you'll never accomplish anything by forcing yourself to write. Even if the video games and millennia-old epics are calling to you. Just get on with it. Soon, King says, you'll notice that the words are coming easier. That the initial difficulty is slacking off, inspiration is welling up, and you're suddenly in the Writing Zone. It may take five minutes, or it may take five or so sessions. But soon, you'll notice that it becomes easier and easier to get on a roll. The writer's block will start crumbling faster. If you keep up your routine religiously, writing for an hour (or two) every day, same time, same place...good things will start to roll off that keyboard. It may seem counterintuitive, but it works. I myself was highly skeptical when I first read about the method. With my nose in the air and my voice laden with hauteur, I scoffed, "Poppycock! A routine would defile the creative process. Writing on a schedule is like trying to paint a masterpiece every month, or carve sculpture from nine to five. One must wait for the creative juices to flow, and then write." It didn't take me long to realize that if I sat around waiting for the creative juices to flow, I'd be in my 90s before I finished my second book. So I gave King's method a shot. And I noticed that soon, I was checking my watch and thinking excitedly, "Oooh, my writing hour is coming up." In no time at all, the creative juices were flowing, even before I sat down at the computer every night. I know this, and yet I haven't started doing it yet this year. I've set myself some goals for 2010, a battle plan (as delineated by Jon Paul). There remains but to buckle down and do it. Like those damnable New Year's resolutions, I can't seem to muster the diligence nor the intelligence to actually set myself a routine. Maybe I need a drill sergeant.
Help me, R. Lee Ermey. You're my only hope.

21 comments:

Entrepreneur Chick said...

Well now the excitement has doubled! Two novels, Postie!

I get up at 11:00 p.m. and or noon. How long do you think I'd last in the military?

Congrats on the new direction. Feels good, huh?

A.T. Post said...

I'll say it has. NOW we're getting somewhere.

Hmmm...SERGEANT Entrepreneur Chick. "STAND UP STRAIGHT, YOU MAGGOTS! TODAY WE'RE GOING TO DO BUSINESS MODELS, AND WE ARE GOING TO DO THEM RIGHT, YOU UNDERSTAND ME?"

"HOOYAH, SERGEANT ENTREPRENEUR CHICK MA'AM!"

We'll see how it goes. Not that rolling along with dancing daisies in my head isn't fun...

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

The mind is a dumb dog. Not so easy to train, but once you do, you can count on it for the same trick day in and day out.

I actually enjoy editing, revising, and proofreading. I like teaching my students to like it. I like doing it for other people. Hey wow - I should start a business! Oh wait - I already did.

A.T. Post said...

Well, heck, Polly, you business-starting proof-enjoying literary genius you! Can I send you my manuscript? What are the rates?

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

Figuring out rates for you would be relatively easy, since your novel's already written. I'd need a word count and a sample chapter, and to know what level of editing you want. Since your grammar and spelling are impeccable, I would imagine you'd want something a little more in-depth?

A.T. Post said...

Sounds good. I'll get a precise word count to you. Any particular chapter? The first is the one I'm most worried about. I would indeed like something in-depth. I believe I have a story here, but I don't believe the tone is engaging enough (it's third-person omniscient, but it's still too dull and remote), and I'm particularly worried about craft: plot, characterization, and...well...depth!

I appreciate it immensely...I'll get back to you soon.

Entrepreneur Chick said...

Hey, wait a minute. She didn't say my "grammar and spelling are impeccable."

I'm SO baking that cake.

Polly, see my last comment to you @ TWBW.

Look at you hustle up a deal on Postie's comment section.

That's what Entrepreneur Chick's talkin' about.

Laura said...

Yay!!
Writing fever is BACK! <---- These 4 words are the greatest ever!

I absolutely love this post of yours. You have such a clear, succint writing voice.:)
As I was reading, I found myself nodding and sighing and understanding exactly what you were talking about. It also made me look at myself and smile: I'm still wearing pajamas and it's 10 a.m. here. haha

What I can tell you is this: writers are artists in the truest sense of the word; their brains are wired differently,their inner structure is a bit different. Soemtimes writers are perceived as weirdos but just because they dance to a different tune than the majority does. I am not saying this to justify a writer's behavior, but to point out a fact.

Your laziness/indolence/etc is in fact something else: the silence before the storm. And that storm means that you'll be getting into the writing fever and you'll forget about everything else that kept you away from your craft. Then the writing fever will turn into that wonderful routine that King was talking about.

All this is actually an entire process...It starts with that laziness and it ends with the product.

As for the Drill Sergeant...He's a writer's alter ego.;)

Excellent blog and insight, Postman!

A.T. Post said...

EC: You have a talent for dialect. I particularly love it when you wax nifty: "lookie at mah cookies" and "rollin' with da big roosters!"

Laura: I'm very glad to hear that I have a clear voice, and that this resonated with you. Thanks for saying so.

"The silence before the storm"! I love your way of describing it. That's the best way I've heard it said yet. That drill sergeant's calling me now, so I'll be off.

Thanks so much for commenting...and understanding.

Mary Witzl said...

There is nothing as sweet as writing fever -- the joy of being carried away on its waves. I've had it myself and I know I'll get it back. Especially once I've FINALLY gotten this horrible last chapter out of my way. I've been stuck on it for the last three months and every paragraph is a long, hard slog.

So make good use of your writing fever! How great that you had that epiphany. Maybe I'll go hang out a couple of bathmats myself. Once the rain stops...

(I like your voice too. And I can't believe you aren't big on revising. I've never found a typo in your blog and I'm a keen-eyed typo hound.)

A.T. Post said...

You've described it exactly, Mrs. Witzl. There isn't anything like that feeling in the world, you're right. What is your work in progress about? What's the root of the difficulty with the last chapter?

Waitaminnit...it rains in Turkey?

Thank you for saying so. I like revision inasmuch as I get to trim, streamline, and refine what I'm saying...but the nuts and bolts of it sometimes get me down. I'm glad this thing isn't shot through with typos, though! Thanks for looking!

Entrepreneur Chick said...

Thank you, Postie. xxoo

Jerry said...

The hesitancy for jumping in is because all those writing molecules have to line up first. It's true. For a while they bump around slowly edging toward each other. They don't know it, but they subconsciously want to stand straight and tall in precise alignment. They just have to figure it out.

And when they do -- watch out. The words flow, the gut chuckles, the fingers itch feverishly.

How do you know when the time is? You feel like it. You really feel like writing. The good feeling. The conquering feeling.

A.T. Post said...

An excellent and entirely correct metaphor, Jerry. Never heard it said better. "The gut chuckles"...

"A conquering feeling"...

Carrie said...

Hahaha. :) Nice. Very nice indeed.

I for one am GLAD you're not the military type. I think boot camp might make it hard for you to schedule in blog-time, and then where would that leave us readers?

I'm right with you on the "I need a writing drill sergeant" too. If you find a good one, send him my way after he's set you straight. ;)

I happen to love editing though. Maybe not my own stuff, but other peoples? Oh yes. I wanted to be work as an editor for a publishing company for YEARS. :) Call me crazy, but it was my thing.

A.T. Post said...

Why thank you very much, Carrie!

I could probably use a few weeks' hiatus from blogging. Particularly if I was getting in shape while doing it...boot camp sounds perfect.

Ho yes. I think we're all familiar with our undisciplined writer's side. Conscience, conscience! Where've you gone?

Is that so? You love editing other people's stuff...I suppose it must be neat getting to read what other people wrote, and having a hand in making it even better, eh? What changed your mind about being an editor?

Carrie said...

...Changing my mind about that was a long process. I'm still passionate about editing. I know with proper training and experience I could be great at it. It's just that major publishing companies are typically located in New England states or very far out west, and they require internships and junior training programs that are very competitive and would have required me to transfer to a school closer to where I'd be working EARLY in my college career. In fact, NYU was my dream school for years.

When I decided to give that dream up, Kyle was here in Kentucky. He told me he'd leave with me if it was my dream, but I gave it up anyway because I knew he wanted to stay close to what little family he has.

So you can imagine my surprise when he joined the military and I discovered I'd be moving away anyhow. ...this is where most of my conflict about "giving up" my life here comes from, but the truth is that I gave that up for him a long time ago. It's pretty much too late for me to switch majors and go back to a publishing track now.

I can always try for that later though...and part of me is seriously considering it after Kyle's military contract is up. I figure if I can move half way across the WORLD for him then he can give me a few years in New York. ;) Of course, in five years who knows if I'll still want that?

I know right now I couldn't do it. I wouldn't want to go alone.

I can't tell you how often I kick myself for not dragging him to the city though. :/ Maybe if I had he'd still be here and I wouldn't be so scared all the time.

Wow.

Sorry to unload all that. Lol.

Carrie said...

PS -- Getting to be the bystander to fame...that is ideal for me. That's part of why I love editing so much. I wanted to be the person that took raw talent and polished it into something that the public could take home and devour. I wanted to write book jacket summaries and do reviews. I wanted to sit down with authors and tell them what was brilliant and what needed to be cut away. I wanted to take something with potential and transform it into a modern masterpiece. I wanted to make people's dreams come true.

God. I still want to do all that. But ANYWAY...that's what I loved about it. :)

A.T. Post said...

Unload away. This is a relax-and-do-what-you-like kind of blog.

Of course you can always try later! You write so enthusiastically and so passionately about this, it's clear you enjoy it. So go for it! You'll regret it forever if you don't. Give it a shot after Kyle's tour's up. At the very least, drag him to the city. And don't feel scared. This isn't going to last forever, Carrot. You've hung in there like a champ so far. You can do it.

Your eloquence and fervor in your editor's job description is wonderful. I don't think you ought to let that dream go. You're a bit young for that. Everything's negotiable, and all bets are off after that man of yours gets out of the military...think it over, eh?

And thanks for such a thorough delineation...

Murr Brewster said...

I tripped over T.R. Ryan's blog and into this one. Oh boy! This post reminds me of what some famous writer (can't peg him) said when asked if he writes on a schedule or waits for the muse to strike. "Oh, I always wait for the muse to strike," he said. "And she always strikes at ten a.m."

I have just started my first novel, something I didn't think I could do. Now I can't wait to find out what happens next. And I am a retired postman. Sometimes gestation can take decades. None of it was wasted, unless you count the twenties and half of the thirties, but I barely remember them, and I never touched that chicken.

A.T. Post said...

Well hey there! Thanks for stopping by and following along! That quote sounds very familiar...I'll have to see what I can dig up on it.

That's it! You've pegged it. You didn't think you could start, and now that you have, the sense of anticipation is tremendous. Well done, ma'am. Way to go. Follow that elusive literary will-o-the-wisp. Let us know how it's turning out.

Really? A retired postman? I'll bet you saw and did a lot out there...I'll take your word on the chicken.