Sunday, February 14, 2010

Liberties Taken: a sestina

Today is my official Write Your @ss Off Day, so here's one of the results. This is my entry for the Big Ole Poetry Challenge the Pollinatrix has got going on her blog. As part of today's eight-hour writing marathon, I'm also working on a new science fiction short story (going well), some nonfiction travel articles (going worse) and, of course, the novel. Maybe I'll put up a report card or something later on and tell you how I did. But in the meantime...

Liberties Taken: a sestina


And once again, they come inside to find                                                     
that time did not see fit to wait, and fly                                                        
across the road to fields of light and dance                                                   
their time away. The dancers do not see                                                        
the answers which can help. And soon they break                                        
and scatter far, until the next new day.                                                         

For endless nights, these folk who dream by day                                         
and waste their nights in revelry, and find                                                    
no dreams, no gold, no life, they soon will break.                                         
But we who sit behind the walls and fly                                                       
on wings which we in dreams can use, we see                                              
the light of years, the life ahead, and dance.                                                 

In time we grasp the stems of hopes in dance,                                              
climb up the stalk to flowers, gleaming days.                                                
For now, we sit at home and work. I see                                                       
the happy land that only I can find.                                                              
I work and slave to someday go, and fly                                                      
into the clouds, where windows shake, and break.                                       

Between that land and I lie years. It breaks                                                  
my heart and wounds my mind. I do not dance                                            
to think of what is there. Someday to fly,                                                     
I do not wish to live on Earth. The days                                                       
go by, as slow as snails. I cannot find                                                                       
the light, the hope, the dream I once could see.                                            

So time I waste, and dreams I spurn. You see                                              
in me a lazy man, with faith which breaks                                                     
in toil and sweat. I think and dream, but find                                                           
no reason, purpose worth the strife of days.                                                  
I dawdle, treading water, scorn the dance,                                                   
Forget  that once back then I dreamed to fly.                                                

I do not want my liberties to fly                                                                    
away against my will. I want to see                                                               
the hour when I achieve my goals, the day                                                   
when all I worked for comes to me and breaks                                             
the doors and windows down, and I can dance.                                           
The toil of ages dies. My dreams I find.                                                        

Thence comes my life. I find that I can fly,                                      
I find my feet can dance, my eyes can see,                                       
my hands can break. In time will come the day.


FOOTNOTE:
Just in case you're wondering, I stuck to the rules. This is a proper English sestina: thirty-nine lines (six six-line stanzas and a tercet), all of which end with one of six words. Each stanza's end-words are properly ordered, and (this is the part I decided to grit my teeth over) the poem is written entirely in iambic pentameter. W.H. Auden, eat your heart out.

I also want to say, right here and now (just so I won't be like this idiot), that this poem was inspired by Robert E. Howard's short story
The Tower of the Elephant. In it, the elephant god says, "Let me be free of this cage of broken blind flesh, and I will once more be Yogah of Yag, morning-crowned and shining, with wings to fly, and feet to dance, and eyes to see, and hands to break." I always thought that was a lyrical turn of phrase, even for Howard...and that's where I got four of this sestina's six end-words. Attribution over.




7 comments:

Jennifer said...

EXCELLENT.

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

WOW WOW WOW!!! You're amazing!

This is brilliant; very well done and utterly satisfying. I knew there was a poet in you. And the iambic pentameter - I'm just blown away.

I really like that you've posted this on Valentine's Day. A love poem to flying and dancing.

Anonymous said...

I love a man who can write poetry. Breathtaking.

Jon Paul said...

Dude--like TOTALLY rocked it, you did!

And, ladies and gentlemen, I think we have another coincidence. I gave you an award today--and this poem shows again why you've earned it. Stop by my place to pick it up.

Nice job. I was impressed before; now, considered me floored.

A.T. Post said...

Jennifer: Thank you! That's a very high compliment.

Polly: My goodness, you're bowling me over. Thank you for such generous and kind praise. And thank you for believing in my inner poet even when I didn't.

propinquity: Golly, I'm blushing now. I don't think anybody's ever said that to me before. I definitely know that the word "breathtaking" has never before been applied to something I did. Thank you so very much.

JP: Gracias, amigo. I really appreciate the feedback and kind words, I do. AND an award? You're too much. I'll be lucky if I can fit my head in the door after all this. I'll host an acceptance ceremony pronto. Thanks a million.

Jane Jones said...

I came back from my petite vacation this evening, and of course read this and thought to myself:
It's beautiful.
Then I re-read it, and thought:
I feel like that's me. Like that's from my secret thoughts that no one can see.
And then I laughed a little, because:
I don't normally read poetry, but this sunk into my blood. I like it very, very much.

A.T. Post said...

Jane! Good to have you back. How was the petite vacation?

I'm flustered. I don't know what I can say to such high praise. I am glad you enjoyed it, though. Thank you for saying what you said. It made my evening.

Good to know I'm not the only one with some of these secret thoughts.

Would you believe I'm not normally into poetry either? There's some that's sunk into my blood (Whitman, Blake, some others) but ordinarily I don't seek it out. I haven't really written any in years, either. I quit because I thought what I wrote was awful. So you may imagine now just how much it means to me to hear such wonderful comments from you guys. Thanks.