Wednesday, August 25, 2010

bog bodies

Breakfast on the morning of June 17 was a somewhat muted affair. It occurred rather late in the morning, and only after large amounts of water had been drunk and hot showers had been taken.
Jeff and I, despite our fuzzy heads, still weren't finished with Dublin. There were some things we figured we had to see before we left, and had no excuse not to, since our flight out didn't leave until the afternoon.

That pretty much left the National Museum. It actually wasn't too far away from us, over on Kildare Street. We didn't know it going in, but the Museum actually has four branches, all in different places. We were walking into the archaeology branch.

...which happened to be right next to the houses of Irish Parliament. There was a big ol' protest going on outside its gates as we approached. Camera crews were busy filming it, policemen were busy guarding it and spectators were busy gawking at it. A bunch of elderly folks were walking up and down the sidewalk, hoisting signs that said PRESERVE THE SANCTITY OF MARRIAGE and SAME-SEX MARRIAGE IS A SIN.

Some things apparently don't change too much between continents.

We entered the museum through a metal gate and walked up the steps into the domed lobby. Outside there were a bunch of school kids (crisply uniformed) all hanging about, either waiting to start a tour or just having finished.

Nothing makes your day like hearing a little Irish girl singing a Taylor Swift song, let me tell you.


So, we walked in. Admission was free. The museum was rather small (at least this particular branch). Nonetheless we saw some cool stuff. There was a whole Viking longboat found somewhere over near Galway or something that had been almost perfectly preserved. Or maybe it wasn't even Viking, maybe it was just a big effing wooden canoe that the early Irishmen had built. I don't remember, I was hung over.


They had a nice little section on ancient Egypt on the upstairs floor with a bunch of articles, artifacts, artistry, artisanship, and all those other words that start with "arti."

(I wish I could give you more details, but as has previously been mentioned, I was hung over. And it's Wednesday afternoon as I'm writing this and I just woke up from a three-hour nap and there's a thunder cloud hanging over my house that's making a whole lotta noise and I'm trying to finish this entry before it starts crackling and pouring and frying my motherboard.)

The pinnacle of the museum's collection was its exhibit on "bog bodies." These were the mummified, mutilated remains of Irish kings, slaughtered by their political foes and dumped into bogs. The peaty composition of the Irish bogs meant that the decomposition process was slowed or even halted, resulting in some of the best-preserved bodies you'll find anywhere in the world. Indeed, some of these guys (except for the fact that their skins looked exactly like leather, and they were, as has previously been mentioned, mutilated) looked almost...well, alive.

It was creepy, dude.

I highly recommend the exhibit if you happen to be in Dublin. It's not going anywhere. It's by far the most exciting thing ever to have come out of an Irish bog (except when they pulled Old Patty Flynn stone-drunk out of the Ardee bog last year; that was a hoot).

So we left the museum about eleven and headed back to the hostel. We made a brief stop in Waterstone's (a bookstore chain found all over the Isles) to check the price of a copy of Ulysses...

...saw this thing maneuvering around streetcars...
 ...zipped back to that souvenir shop on O'Connell Street so I could finally get my Ireland T-shirt...

(Feel privileged, this is the most recent photo of me. Like, ever. I just took it five minutes ago.)

Then we our hostel a fond farewell, had one last tributary pint of Guinness in Doyle's (as Argentina slaughtered South Korea up on the TV), and headed for the airport.

And so we departed Dublin the same way we'd come in: tired and hung over.

We were sitting behind some little Geordie kids on the way back. I tell you what, I like hearing English, Scottish and Irish accents in general, but hearing them from kids...well, that's an extra kick. Makes the little tykes seem extra cute, you know. It was two little boys and a girl, and they were all talking about what makes airplanes stay up. They were pointing out the window and watching the Boeing's flaps go up and down. It kind of took the hangover away for a while.

Ryanair, being one of those cheapo airlines, doesn't give out free drinks and snacks. You have to buy them. And they cost a lot of euro. If you're a smoker, though, and you don't think you can go the 45 minutes between Dublin and Newcastle without a puff, they sell smokeless cigarettes. Yes, on an airplane. They were sellin' cigs. Wow. Neat.

We got back to Newcastle, hopped at cab back to Tynemouth, and were home and dry in Adam's mum's house before the sun set.

But as you already know, that ain't sayin' much up there in the northern latitudes.

Next up: I try to host an American barbecue for my gracious hosts...with British charcoal and a British grill. Witness the disaster next time on British barbecue blues. Don't miss it.



6 comments:

Olivia J. Herrell, writing as O.J. Barré said...

Okay. I admit it. I'm reading backwards again. And I've got lots of catching up to do.

First off, nice shirt. :) Second, love the shot of Waterstones, it looks like a great bookstore. And last, ahhh. Glad you made it back in one piece and semi-dry.

~that rebel, Olivia

Carrie said...

Somehow, in all that lovely post, this line made me laugh the most: "They had a nice little section on ancient Egypt on the upstairs floor with a bunch of articles, artifacts, artistry, artisanship, and all those other words that start with "arti." "

Arti. Haha.

Anyhoo -- I've heard something about the bog-preserved people before, but I had no idea the folks that were pulled out of it were kings. That makes for a huge difference in perspective and what seems like a pretty cool exhibit.

The bookstore looks pretty awesome too. I'm all for bookstores that take up more than one floor. ;)

Also, I'm pretty sure that everything in Euro is ridiculously expensive. It's like they take the dollar price, add five to the number, and then tack on a wallet-beating exchange rate to boot.

(I'm reading these in reverse order, btw.)

Olivia J. Herrell, writing as O.J. Barré said...

Hi Postman, checking back in to let you know there's something waiting for you over at my blog. :)

~that rebel, Olivia

dolorah said...

I'd steal the shirt from you if I got close enough :)

And Cleisdales in Ireland; how cool.

How do you appreciate a British accent from kids with a hangover? I'd be like, "speak English or shut up." Probably hoping they'd shut up so I could sleep it off.

Bog-bodies sounds like an interesting exhibit. Fascinating.

I thought gay marriage rights was a US controversey? Wow, I must catch up on my world news.

So, you make it all the way back from the British Isles thinking you might dry out, and get caught in a CA summer storm while you're writing about the rain. Hmmm, I think you brought more back from Ireland with you than the cool T-shirt . .

Have a great week PM. And thanks for the encouragement on my blogfest entry :)

.........dhole

A.T. Post said...

Whoo! I made the right shirt choice. Thanks, Olivia. And I only wish I'd more time to spend in Waterstone's in Dublin; the one I went to in Newcastle was AMAZING too. Five levels or something like that.

Carrie: I had this English teacher in high school who taught us all about Latin and Greek roots. It was one of the only things we learned that really stuck with me. "Arti" (Greek, I believe) was roughly akin to "old, antiquarian" or something. They DO have a lot of words that start with it, don't they?

Yep. The bog bodies in that museum were all assassinated kings. They could tell from how richly they were dressed (and the manner in which they were mutilated, which I'm too polite to mention here).

There's this one Barnes & Noble down in Los Angeles somewhere that has THREE FLOORS. It's HUGE. And REALLY COOL. I wish I lived closer to it...oh, wait, maybe I don't. It's LA, after all.

Olivia! Thank you thank you thank you!

DH: Would you steal the shirt because you want it, or just because you want to get a glance at my ripped physique?

Ha ha, just kidding. I don't have a ripped physique.

I don't know. Ever since Korea I've built up a tolerance for little foreign kids, I guess. Plus they were talking about airplanes, how was I going to fault 'em for that?

It might have been gay marriage they were protesting. It might not have. Possibly I was too hung over to read properly. But if it was gay marriage, I have a feeling that most of the protesters were probably from the Church.

I'm very proud of you for your writing accomplishments, DH. You deserve every accolade.

Jane Jones said...

TAYLOR SWIFT?!?! the kids were singing taylor swift?! oh i wish i could have heard that! it must have been so very cute.
and while i saw quite a few mummies on my travels, your "bog bodies" sound highly fascinating and might make up my mind to go to ireland.
and i heard about the airline attendants on ryanair selling smokeless cigarettes this summer... unbelivable. how hilarious.