Sunday, August 8, 2010

out of the doldrums

I'm reading a book called Race to the Pole by Sir Ranulph Fiennes. It's the last word on Robert F. Scott's ill-fated second expedition to the Antarctic. Scott and four companions made the South Pole, only to find they'd been beaten to the punch by the dastardly and deceitful Roald Amundsen. To add insult to injury, all five of them died on the way back to Ross Island and their ship, the Terra Nova. (That means "new land" in Latin, doncha know.)

Reading about people dying in the middle of a wasteland (and ships getting stuck in ice) has made me think a lot about my own situation. I'd love to be off on my next adventure, giving Indiana Jones a run for his money, plumbing unexplored territory and discovering new lands. But I'm a bit stuck. There's a few thing
s to finish, and some money to save; then I can go. In the meantime, I'm stuck in the pack ice. I'm working my way out of it with patience and tact, but it still seems like I'm in the slump of my life here.

And as a very intelligent man once wrote, "un-slumping yourself is not easily done."


But it seems that, after a full year of stagnation, during which I have accomplished practically nothing (except for finishing a novel, becoming a travel writer, acquiring a bartender's certificate and nearly polishing off a pilot's license), things are finally about to pick up.

There've been a few new developments. I'm taking some proactive steps to improve my situation (and hasten my eventual departure from said slump). There've been a few other things that have happened of their own accord, too, which stand to shake things up around here in the coming weeks.

Let's begin with the latest:

Dawg (Boss #3), lately returned from Colombia, has informed us that the Reno Air Races are coming up in mid-September.

And we're all invited.

I'm going to the air races.

Stop a moment and consider what that means to me. You know how plane-crazy I am. I'm not the most die-hard enthusiast you'll meet, and I could be doing a lot more to familiarize myself with the mechanics of engines and the principles of flight. I'm not yet a professional aviator.
But I do like airplanes, as you've probably guessed. I go absolutely nuts when I smell a warbird in the vicinity. And there's a great many civil aircraft that can make me go ga-ga as well. Air races are the province of some of the fastest, most nimble, most sporty airplanes in existence, moreover. And I'll be going to one of the most well-known and prestigious races of them all, the last bastion of the world's fastest motor sport. The Reno Air Races (formally known as the National Championship Air Races) includes the Unlimited class of aircraft, which apparently "consists almost entirely of both modified and stock World War II aircraft [which] routinely reach speeds in excess of 400 miles per hour." Some of these beasts (like September Fury, pictured above) look like they were plucked right from TaleSpin or a comic book about air pirates.

Hot. Diggity. DAMN.

I was about eight years old the last time I was involved with anything resembling a race. The vehicles were seven inches long, 2¾ inches wide, weighed no more than five ounces, and were made of pinewood.

Reno is going to be an absolute blast.

Go ahead and turn green, suckers.

Moving on...

More about what I'm doing to un-slump myself: my father recently informed me (in a nonchalant sort of way) that I have a mutual fund sitting in the pipeline. It was created soon after my birth and has endured nearly 24 years of stock market ups and downs. It's not enough to retire on, certainly, but it'll take care of the urgent things on my to-do-before-I-go-to-Spain-or-Australia list: namely, car repairs and pilot's licensing.
I think I'm going to use it for car repairs. Those could potentially cost more than $700, which is the amount I've budgeted for finishing my pilot's license. I'll knock off new shocks, new tires, new brakes and new coolant with my mutual fund and use my next paycheck to kill off the pilot's license.

And then, ladies and gentlemen...there will be nothing holding me here. I can gallivant off to a far corner of the globe, or procure any decent radio job in the Western United States and finally move out of my parents' house.

I'll let you know what I decide. This should all be resolved within the month. As of September 1, 2010, you shall be privy to the doings of Postman, the pilot (and owner of an upgraded 1995 Jeep Cherokee).

If you want to hear some writing updates, here they are:

My good buddy Nick, whom I met in college, a student of animation and visual design, who is currently working for a private animation studio near Orlando, Florida (and, with any luck, will soon be moving to Blue Sky Animation, the folks who brought you Despicable Me)...

Well, he got in touch with me a few weeks ago. We'd been in and out of contact since graduation, but never routinely. Out of the blue he dropped me a line. Prior to this, I'd talked with him at length about my novel idea, and he was very intrigued. So intrigued, in fact, that he asked me to send him some stuff and he'd draw up some sketches and pictures.

Awesome.

I'd been stressing about finding an artist for my comic book, worrying myself sick over procuring one that I could rely on and work well with. And then BAM, an old friend whom I know and trust offers me his services, which I already know to be top-flight.

Sometimes I get so lucky I feel almost ashamed.

Anyway, not much had come of that arrangement, but Nick and I renewed the promise over the phone. That was the purpose of his call, in fact. That, and to catch up. He's a good guy. He's had some hard times out there in Florida. One of the studios he was working for got shut down for want of money, which was a pity, because Nick really enjoyed what he was doing there. He's been getting by with freelancing and semi-regular work for Campus Crusade for Christ. He's been offered a half-year contract with CRU, and he's taken 'em up on it for the time being. But he's sent out applications to a half-dozen other studios, and has his eye on the aforementioned Blue Sky.

In the meantime, he said he had time to illustrate my stuff! So I said, "Heck yes! I'll send you some character bios and outlines right away."


And so I did. Nick and I are meeting every Monday evening now on Skype to exchange ideas and material (and catch up with each other's lives). It's incredible. Feels like the dream is coming alive, seeing my characters and settings leap into vibrant existence, born of Nick's pencils and pens and agile mind. His work is more than I could have hoped for. We have slightly different visions of the world I'm creating, of course, but that's what our meetings are for: to hash out those disparities and come to mutual agreement, exchange thoughts on character and detail, and just build the series from the ground up.

We're just doing it for fun, of course; neither of us is anywhere near being ready to find an outlet for this yet. Heck, I haven't even gotten the novel published (though my novelist cousin is finished reading it, and is sending it to me next week; she wrote in her e-mail "GOOD JOB!" I think she liked it!).

But when we are ready to go public with this...well, shoot. We'll have the groundwork laid already.

One last thing. My first science fiction novelette is pretty much edited. I'm handing it over to a friend tomorrow to proof, and then I'm [gulp] sending it to Fantasy & Science Fiction magazine, double-spaced, formatted and numbered, with a self-addressed stamped envelope and my little fingers crossed.

I should have lots of news for you in two weeks...stay tuned.

P.S. You know, I worry about these posts. Sometimes I think I'm going to bore you guys to tears with all of this crap. The doubts, the obstacles, the struggles, the triumphs, the baby steps forward. Posts like this grate on my nerves sometimes. Jeez, aren't there enough people in the world who are going to make me feel insecure without me making myself feel that way? I'm not a whiner, I'm a winner! C'mon, Postman, buck up!

But remember, I'm reading about Robert F. Scott. And in Race to the Pole, I learned that for all his brilliance, tact, courage, stamina, and fortitude, Scott was about as insecure as I am. He constantly blamed himself for making stupid mistakes, not doing enough to correct his personal flaws, his inherent lack of willpower, his physical frailty (he couldn't stand the sight of blood), and failing to live up to his personal standards. He got on his own case even when others praised him. After he'd accomplished a great deal, Scott still fell into depressed moods, feeling inferior to those around him. Even the fortune-teller could see that this maudlin melancholy was part of Scott's personality.

So now all of a sudden I don't feel so bad about waxing pathetic all the time.

If one of the most famous explorers in history got away with it, what's to stop me?

If I ever buy a boat, I'm calling it Terra Nova.




3 comments:

Murr Brewster said...

If the fact that I pee a little when I sneeze isn't enough to make me realize I'm old, there's this: first thing I thought of was "if you don't start socking away a few dollars, you're really going to be stuck in ice in a few decades." Yeah, thanks, Mom.

dolorah said...

But it seems that, after a full year of stagnation, during which I have accomplished practically nothing (except for finishing a novel, becoming a travel writer, acquiring a bartender's certificate and nearly polishing off a pilot's license), things are finally about to pick up.

- hot diggity Damn is right Dude. -

Sometimes I get so lucky I feel almost ashamed.

We're just doing it for fun, of course; neither of us is anywhere near being ready to find an outlet for this yet.

You know, I worry about these posts. Sometimes I think I'm going to bore you guys to tears with all of this crap. The doubts, the obstacles, the struggles, the triumphs, the baby steps forward.

. . .and failing to live up to his personal standards.

So now all of a sudden I don't feel so bad about waxing pathetic all the time.
* * *
Do you see what I'm getting out of this Postie? You are not a man to let grass grow under your feet; unless you find a use for it. You make me believe in young people again; believe in hope for the future.

I don't mean to rain on your parade here; I'm sorry you have "slump" periods. Everyone does, you know. The fact that you recognize yours for what they are - life experiences - means you are growing up. A sad but necessary circumstance in any life. Even one as blessed as your's.

I am never bored when I come here. I am energized. I see all the things you do to make your life and career work out the way you planned, and I feel hope, and inspiration. I read your list of woes and heartaches - not sure if I commented though - and while I had loads of empathy (not sympathy) for your circumstances, I also looked forward to hearing how you resolved those issues.

Because I knew you would Andrew. I knew you would not stagnate, you would not give up. Obstacles do not impede your progress, they just detour it.

I know your parents are proud of you PM. Even when you are in a slump, even when you believe yourself a failure because you haven't met all those personal goals. Failure only makes you rethink your alternatives. And you built so many lasting relationships and steps to furthering your dreams, nothing escapes your grasp for long.

You are awesome Dude. You have high standards for yourself, and you consistently meet them; even if not in the exact scenario you anticipated. You make your own options in life.

I applaud your perserverance, and your flexibility to roll with whatever opportunities life throws at you.

Be you Andrew. Just keep going on, and reporting it, and being a light in dark times.

Now, I'll get a bit personal. You know I love planes, and air shows. Could you please let me know when this air show is? My brother lives in Fallon, and while he wanted to show me around the Top Gun base while I was visiting a few weeks ago, my sister and his wife both hated the idea. But, I'd love to come to the show, and see your aerial displays (no, I'm not a stalker, though meeting you in person would be a highlight for me) and it would give me an excuse to visit my brother again. (Really, we just met.)

So please, send me an e-mail, or post it here on your blog so I can set up the time off work. I know I'd enjoy the show, whether or not I saw you in person.

A.T. Post said...

Mum tells me the same thing sometimes. I'd better start saving or I'll wind up a pauper my whole life. I think there's something in the Mom contract that states that all mothers have to say that to their offspring at least once in their lives.

DH: Rain on my parade? This is the nicest thing anybody's ever said to me! I give you hope for the future??? That's a higher honor than I've ever dreamed of aspiring to. Thanks for the perspective, friend. It's all part of growing up; you're absolutely correct. I just need to be reminded sometimes. I guess I have a young man's impatience with circumstance.

Roger madam! I'll keep reporting. And thanks for listening. You're a true friend, an excellent shoulder to lean on and a supportive counselor. Thanks ever so much for the kind words and encouragement.

I believe the Reno Air Races are the September 15-19. Here's the link:

http://www.airrace.org/indexJS.php

If I'm going to be there, it'll probably be 17th, 18th or 19th. And yeah, you'd be right there if you were in Fallon. I say let's try to meet up if we can! When I know more I'll send you the details.

Thanks again, friend.