Thursday, August 26, 2010

welcome back, Beethoven

The last couple of days have been warm and muggy. The moisture in the air and the warmth of the sun have combined to produce some extreme cumulus and cumulonimbus clouds. Thunderstorms have been building up in the morning and unloading at night. It's miserable on the ground, but the view is fantastic: great white towers loom high above the desert like the hives of gigantic insects, or the airborne edifices of some futuristic civilization.

It may be hot and humid by day, but at night it (usually) cools down, and a sweet breeze blows through the house as lightning crackles over the dark mountains in the distance.

And here I sit, pajama-clad, a big glass of water by my side, fans on, listening to Beethoven's 5th Symphony, 4th movement. I actually prefer the fourth movement to the first. The first movement of Beethoven's 5th is the one everybody knows, allegro con brio—you know, duh-duh-duh-DUHHHHHH, duh-duh-duh-DUHHHHHH. It took me ages to find the fourth movement on YouTube because it's simply allegro, and search engines always assume you must be looking for the allegro con brio first movement.

The fourth movement isn't as dark or weighty as the first. It's quick, cheery, larger-than-life, full of pomp and bombast and triumph, reminiscent of Beethoven's 6th or Pastoral Symphony. I'd always been familiar with the first movement of Symphony No. 5, but I first heard the fourth movement when I was a kid, on a Beethoven tape (yes, an actual eight-track tape) that my folks had.

I was intoxicated. I saw visions, listening to it. I'd watched the original Star Wars trilogy not long before, and I saw, as I listened, Bespin and Cloud City and the sky-towers of far-flung planets. Clouds, light, air, and sun, the gleaming spires of fantastic cities...pure beauty put to music. Even at that young age I thought, "This couldn't have been written by the same man who wrote that gloomy Fifth Symphony" (this was before I knew the two works were from the same piece of music).

For years, the only place I could hear this beautiful composition was on that tape. I never forgot it. Even if it slipped my mind while I was away at school or overseas, I'd hear it again on occasion, thundering faintly at the edge of memory as I gazed over the wondrous sights of distant lands.

As the clouds built and climbed and towered and rolled over the Mojave yesterday evening, I remembered the fourth movement. I dug that old Beethoven tape out of the dresser drawer where it had lain for months, popped it into an aging tape player, and let it flow again. And man, wasn't it lovely. All those times I'd listened to it as a kid came flooding back. Just as I had all those years ago, I stared out of my window and let my mind fly. I watched the titanic cloud-castles, which hung in the skies above the desert exactly as they did above Cloud City in The Empire Strikes Back. I soared over their sun-drenched expanse, orange and pink and purple and red and gold, leaping from powder puff to powder puff, kicking up a spray of vaporous foam, dodging the skyscrapers, the lighthouses, the lofty crags, the conning towers of ethereal battleships. The sky was a landscape in itself, a glorious chaos of color and shape and endless wonder, through which I hurtled to my heart's content, buoyed on waves of sound sprung from the mind of a long-dead genius.

To this day I cannot believe that Beethoven was deaf. Nobody could weave harmonies like that and not hear them played afterward. It would be the most monstrous injustice, like erasing the very clouds themselves from the evening sky.

Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane, Ludwig.

And the leap through the clouds, too.



ADDENDUM: Thanks to Rebel, I was informed of a rather neat blogfest taking place over at Dawn Embers, the Word Paint Blogfest, where the bloggers' job is to paint a scene with words. I guess that might be what I've done here. It's worth a shot, so I've entered. Thanks a million for the encouragement, Rebel. Eat your heart out, people. 

21 comments:

Alistair said...

Nice post! Lovely bit of music too. It's finding stuff for yourself that make things special sometimes. There loads of good stuff off the mainstream in most music genres.

good work.

I'll be back for another look around soon.

Olivia J. Herrell, writing as O.J. Barré said...

OMG, he's BACK! Postman, this post made my heart sing, thank you! You should go over to Dawn Embers blog and enter it in her Word Painting Blogfest today. Please, please? Everyone needs to read this. AND listen to this wonderful fourth movement. Wow. I have tears streaming. THANK YOU!

BTW, get thee over to my blog for your award, scroll back to Thankful Thursday (yesterday's post).

Your friend, that rebel, Olivia

Olivia J. Herrell, writing as O.J. Barré said...

BTW, there's a link to Dawn's blogfest on my today's (Friday) post. :)

~that rebel, Olivia

A.T. Post said...

Alistair! Welcome! Thanks for stopping in. Yeah, a bit of Beethoven serves to remind one what real music is. I heartily approve of your profile photo, by the bye. Always liked "Calvin and Hobbes."

Olivia: HEY! I'm back, all right. I have this girl I've been hanging out with, you see. Took some time away from the blog for obvious reasons, hee hee.

I think you're the first person who's ever told me I made their heart sing. That means a lot to me, madam. It really does. Glad you liked it, ever so glad. I have entered the blogfest, and thanks for pointing it out to me. I'll write up an acceptance speech for that award soon. And THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for everything, my friend.

Olivia J. Herrell, writing as O.J. Barré said...

Oh goodie, I'm so glad you entered this, it's PERFECT! And I'm thrilled you have a lady, that's awesome. Obviously NOT the Dublin gal you mentioned. :)

I'm heading to Florida tomorrow, but I'll be checking in during the week.

BTW, you are very, very welcome.

~Olivia

Jerry said...

Ahh Ludwig. I spent so much time dissecting the works of Bach and Beethoven in school...I think I came out with a grudge against them. But you're right...the 5ths Allegro is stunning in its own right.

I've been a bit partial to 'The Great Gate of Kiev' by Mussorgsky and Mahlers finale to his Symphony of a Million (can't remember the real name) as of late.

You paint some damn fine word pictures.

Roland D. Yeomans said...

You certainly painted the cyber-canvas with vivid colors and emotive sounds. Olivia was right : this is a good paint with words entry (even though you didn't mean it for one.)

Have you ever listened to BEETHOVAN'S LAST NIGHT by Trans-Siberian Orchestra?

It's more Andrew Lloyd Webber than Beethovan, but it is interesting. One vocal track, "After the Fall" with singer Patti Russo, jumps off the record as a Tyler-esque knockout, raging with emotion and melodic luster.

http://www.amazon.com/Beethovens-Last-Night-Trans-Siberian-Orchestra/dp/B00004S7LI/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1282961831&sr=1-3-fkmr0

Used it goes for $4.00 American.

Thanks for the kinds words on my entry. Roland

RaShelle Workman said...

Hey postman - Being a huge lover of Beethoven, I was excited to read this. First I scrolled down, just to see if, by chance, you had some music to go with it. And you didn't let me down!!! Thanks you for that. =D Secondly, your word painting was beautiful. I was right there on the clouds with you. Lovely.

Summer Ross said...

I think you did a wonderful job at posting descriptions of visual images. very fluid too. Love the clouds...great photo's too.

Arlee Bird said...

Anyone posting about Beethoven gets my attention. "The Rebel" pointed me in the direction of your blog. Interest to hear this movement. I have this obsession with having to listen to a symphony from start to finish, thus I rarely hear this movement since I tend to listen to the 5th less than some of the others.

I've done a few posts on Beethoven myself including a review of the BBC film "Eroica" which totally blew me away. I was also captivated by "Immortal Beloved" or whatever it was called.

Enjoyed reading the post and listening to the fine music.

Lee
Tossing It Out

dolorah said...

I knew you'd excel at word painting. You do it so consistently in your usual postings. I'm always so drawn into your settings, and the culture that accompany them. You move me (and this fat chick don't move often :))

I had hoped, however for a glimps of your fiction writing.

But I forgive you (grudgingly) b/c you posted Beethoven. So beautiful. I'm a fan of classical - Handel and Wagner my true favorites.

The only unbelieveable portion of this: water? Seriously? You were drinking water?

...........dhole

dolorah said...

Oh man, I gotta comment again. But not on this. No, no.

I'm at the end of my blogging night - I saved your post for last and not because you were last on the link - but not quite ready for beddybye. I'm watching LOTR, Two Towers. Its early for me . .

When I cancelled out of the comment window there was a little pix marked Zombie Preparedness Plan on the "you might like" roll.

And by howdy, did I ever. I'm still giggling like a 5th grader.

Dude, please, take my advice and re-post that. I think I'm having doubts about your sanity after reading it - but hey, we all have our soapboxes to stand on. Right?

You should think seriously about recycling that one.

BTW: I think I felt that particular earthquake all the up here in the Sac'to Valley. Not as hard as you did though. But enough to have to turn on the radio and find out if a big truck rumbled past or we had an actual earthquake.

You're right, they're nothing special anymore. But hey, I just thought of something dreadful! Now, us Northers aren't too worried if SoCal falls off into the ocean - beach front property and all that - but now I'd lose something special if it did.

I'd miss your talents and unique sense of humor. Ever thought about moving further north? Susanville has some of the freakiest weather anywhere - desert heat here, snow two miles there, a gentle shower not too much further into the trees. The town is in a bowl, you know.

Just thinking for ya good buddy.

........dhole

Francine Howarth said...

Hi,

Great post!

The music - Beethoven and all grans masters of music from bygone eras drew from life all around them, in particular the greatest and easiest means of getting from one place to another: the horse!

If one listens to the movements they replicate transitions in walk to trot to canter to gallop, hence classical music is superb when competing in dressage competitions. One also gets a sense of rolling carriage wheels, people scurrying hither and thither.

Later music replicated steam locomotion!

Take music of today: much of it chaotic!

best
F

Denise Covey said...

You had me soaring through the clouds, Postman. Great description. Just another comment from the peanut gallery, but heart felt. I've also become a hanger-on. Such choice of words..:)

Unknown said...

I know Beethoven-by-adverts, does that count?
I grew up in a Mozart, Chopin and Tchaikovsky kind of household. Does Beethoven do pretty and fiddly as well? ;)

Theresa Milstein said...

Music has a way of drawing us out, moving us. I constantly have a variety of types of music playing when I write. I don't know if the music influences my manuscript, but I tend to think of certain songs when I've completed a piece.

Erin Kane Spock said...

Thank God the heat broke today. But I have loved watching the clouds and my kids were all excited by the National Weather Service interruptions about thunder and hail. I'm in the Inland Empire.

Your imagery was excellent. I could picture each detail, hear the music. I even felt a little tipsy while reading, though it is much too early in the day. :) I need to get to your blog more often.

dawn said...

Wonderful imagery! Certainly painting with words... and music.
Although the cloud-play music in my head was Brahms, but it worked for me.
I see in your bio you did a year in S Korea teaching. My daughter did too... she's been back nearly a year, living at home, searching desperately and without result, for a job. She often wishes she had stayed longer in Korea, then she remembers just how far away from family and friends it is and can't understand why she didn't!
Have a great day and keep paining with words... your pretty good at it!

A.T. Post said...

Jerry: I'm going to have to look Mussorgsky and Mahlers up. I've never heard of either, unforgivably. Thanks for the tip--and the kind words.

Roland: I can always use more music recommendations. I'll keep an eye out for those, and thanks.

RaShelle: Why thank you very much. I appreciate the kind feedback. Glad it worked.

Summer: Thanks very much indeed!

Arlee Bird: Thanks for saying so, and stopping in. I might have to look "Eroica" up again.

DH: Sorry for the lack of fictive content. This was an impromptu entry and I decided to enter it. And before the water there was whiskey and soda in plentiful amounts...

Oh, and thanks ever so for the kind words on that old zombie post! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I just might recycle it now on your recommendation. Ha, I'd be interested to hear what your ZCP is.

And, according to my geologist father, California's NOT going to slide into the ocean. It's going to slide north until it's even with San Francisco, and beyond. So we might be seeing each other in a few thousand years!

I was actually born in Auburn, California, north of Sacramento. One of only two places in Cali I'd ever consider living. Who knows...?

Francine: Hi! Thank you!

By golly, you're right. It does make you think of galloping and trotting, now you mention it (on a windy day over rolling hills). Rossi's "William Tell Overture" probably conveyed the whole galloping thing best...

Thanks for the input and the kind words!

L'Aussie: Hello and welcome! And thank you. And you're not just another face in the crowd (or a comment in the peanut gallery). I heard what you said and I'm very glad you went soaring. Look forward to seeing you around here.

Elaine: NO, that doesn't count, darn it. Tchaikovsky! I didn't get into him later, more's the pity, despite how many times I watched the original "Fantasia" Disney movie. The 1812 Overture is on my iPod, all 18 minutes of it.

Theresa: Jeez, and I thought I was the only one. Inspiration for scenes (especially fights) comes from the music I listen to, and there's nothing like kicking back after finishing one and putting on a little Strauss or Bach.

Miss Kane Spock: You said it. I thought I was going to dry up and blow away if we'd had any more of that heat. Looking forward to tomorrow (it's supposed to be 72 in the desert!).

Thanks ever so for the kind words. Hope you enjoy yourself around here.

dawn: Why thank you! And I'd better get into Brahms if he does clouds as well as Beethoven.

I'm in the EXACT same situation as your daughter. It's deplorable how few opportunities there are over here. And I too wonder if I didn't come back from Korea too soon...sometimes I wish I'd stayed an extra year. Probably better to have left early than to have stayed and let it sour on me.

Thanks for the compliment, and stopping in.

Appreciate the feedback everybody!

Raquel Byrnes said...

Loved your entry...I don't think anyone included music in theirs...very unique!

Got your comment about the adjectives...I'll have to think about that. Hmmm... =)

Edge of Your Seat Romance

Jane Jones said...

Look, I'm not going to lie, I'm not a huge fan of classical. Sure, I'll listen to it while I'm studying, when I'm melancholy, whatever, but normally it's not the sort of music to turn me on.
But Beethoven... well, there is a reason why he's famous I guess. For one, the whole being deaf issue. It blows my mind. And then the music itself, it's fascinating.

I don't cry in movies. But music can sometimes loosen those dry ducts. Lovely post.