Monday, October 21, 2013

my first V.D.Q.

Have you ever been in the position of not knowing, or not being able to decide, where to go on vacation?

That's what the title stands for: Vacation Destination Quandary. It's never happened to me before. This is all new to me. And not entirely unpleasant, let me assure you.

A dilemma has leapt from the bushes of circumstance and rent me in the gobberwarts. I can't make up my mind where I want to go for my two-month winter break in January and February. I have so many items on my bucket list and my master to-do list (see the bottom right of this page, or the link above). Now that I actually have a stable source of income and money to blow on frivolities like globe-trotting, I can't make a decision to save my soul. Where should I go?

Australia? Japan? Mongolia? Malaysia? Each has its allure.


I've never been to Australia, and I yearn to tread its rugged interior—and sample a few beach cocktails in Brisbane or the Gold Coast. It'll be summer down there when it's butt-cold up in Seoul, you see. That's definitely a mark in the country's favor. And then there's the numerous long-haul railway lines that run around the country's edges and occasionally shoot through its interior. My butt's itching to plant itself on the Ghan or the Indian Pacific and while away three days in style.


Yeah, I know. I've already been to Japan. But I didn't see half of what I wanted to. Or rather, I saw exactly half: the southern half of the country 'twixt Tokyo and Kumamoto. Winter would be the perfect time to get up to the third Japanese home island, Hokkaido, and peruse the wintry scenes there. They have a killer snow-sculpting festival up in Sapporo, I hear. And I wouldn't mind seeing the birthplace of Sapporo beer, either. Or catching a glimpse of Russia from Hokkaido's northernmost city. Or trying my hand at snowboarding for the first time.



Mongolia! Heck yeah, Mongolia! How many people do you know who've been to Mongolia? That's what I thought. Well, buster, you could sure stand to know someone. I'll get that taken care of for ya. I wanna get a load of the Khangai and Altai mountain ranges, see the Genghis Khan Equestrian Statue, and breathe in some of that fresh steppe air. (My secret ambition is to see/climb some of the world's little-known mountain ranges, remember?) I wouldn't mind having tea in a yurt with a yak-herder, either. 'Course, winter might not be the best time of year to head to Mongolia, but that's probably why I should do it: it won't be crowded. Wouldn't hurt to know my way around the Ulaanbaatar railway station, either, for when I go through there on the Trans-Mongolian Express.


Malaysia? Come on. The beaches, man. The beaches. (I hear the grub's to die for, too...I want to try some nasi lemak.) I promised myself that if I ever lived anywhere near Asia I'd find myself in a shack somewhere on a beach with a sweating beer in my hand and fresh seafood boiling on the stove and a wannabe Rastafarian playing acoustic guitar within earshot.

So...you've seen the pictures and heard my spiel for each country.

See why I'm having such a hard time deciding?

8 comments:

Shoup said...

Ulaanbaatar is the coldest, or second coldest (Bryan will correct me) capitol in the world, so winter isn't the best time to go... also, I've been on that statue.

A.T. Post said...

I don't give half a hump what English thinks. You know how much I like the cold. It's either that or Harbin, China, and they're a bit too smoggy right now, I reckon.

Yes. I know you've been on that statue. You don't have to keep reminding me like some ostentatious prig.

Have you checked flight fares? Going to South America or Africa is upwards of $2,000. I found a flight to Sydney from Seoul for half that much.

I wouldn't be caught dead in Tehran. Nor trying to impress you.

A.T. Post said...

And speaking of correcting you, Ulaanbaatar is the "capital" of Mongolia. "Capitol" is only used with a capital "C" and only in reference to our nation's capital, Washington D.C.

Shoup said...

Yeah, sure. All of that.

It's not about what Bryan "Thinks" it's that he was the one who kept reminding us of the cold capitals.

My suggestion, then, if money means no SA or Africa, go south of the Equator.

Why wouldn't you be caught dead in Tehran?

A.T. Post said...

An excellent suggestion! Just the thought I had in mind. I haven't crossed the Equator yet and I've half a mind to. It's down between Australia or New Zealand, I reckon.

'Cause it's Tehran, dude. Iran. Quite apart from the fact that I haven't a grain of interest in the region, what they did to those three idiotic American hikers a couple years back doesn't sit well with me.

Shoup said...

Once you get all the permits and guides and such taken care of, you're fine. The hikers got in trouble because they were in the country illegally. Big no-no.

Anyway, Virginia has been to both, and from what she's said, I was more impressed with New Zealand.

A.T. Post said...

I think I'll content myself with going to Tehran Street in Gangnam.

Unknown said...

I think Mongolian winter is real deal. When i arrive here in winter it was damn cold. I was about to freeze. temprature just down to -40C. But those people i mean Mongolians really kind and warm people. I am glad that i living here. And i able to see more nature and big sky here. Maybe everyone should visit here :)