Thursday, November 1, 2012

NaNoWriMo, go!

Let me tell you everything about myself. I'm an intensely private person.

And that's it, really.

Haha, I'm just kidding. Long story short, I got bored waiting for the requisite six weeks to go by before I could start editing my new-and-improved novel manuscript (118,500 words). Stephen King says you should stick a newly-finished manuscript in a drawer and let it stew for a few weeks before you revise it. This gives you some time to draw back from the work and approach it with fresh eyes. So that's what I'm doing. Miss H is reading it in the meantime, and I'm on tenterhooks until I hear her review.

Anyway, I was bored. So I started looking into publishing options just to kill time. First, I thought I'd check out self-publishing. I contacted a free third-party service which connects you with the nearest self-publisher. I was contacted by someone anonymous who worked for a multinational firm which shall remain nameless. They gave me the details. Basically, even though this company was renowned and reputable, I was looking at an investment which was way out of my league; anywhere between $600 and $14,000. I just can't do that right now. Therefore self-publishing has been shelved until I can check into the more traditional methods. Like Baen Books.

Now that we're past that little update, it's time for the big news...

NaNoWriMo!

National Novel Writing Month, obviously. I'm doing it for the first time in 2012. I have my idea all worked out (historical fiction), I've done some pre-planning, the idea is fresh and fun and new, and I'm anxious to test myself against it. (Don't worry, I'll give you a full synopsis in a few days.)

Who knows...this could be that crappy novel that teaches me a lot about writing, or my first success. Who can tell?

The possibilities are endless.

1 comment:

Jane Jones said...

Ah Postman, sounds like life is treating you well as usual. Full of creativity and hope, adventure and romance. Can't wait to hear about the plans for the NaNoWriMo!