Friday, January 3, 2014

30 Days to a Better Man, Day 4: increase your testosterone


The article on The Art of Manliness website has two lists: the first tells you why low T is bad for us dudes, and the benefits of having good loose testosterone floating through our systems. The second list is what we can do to increase it. The challenge is to pick three of those things and do them today. 


Not smoking was kind of a cop-out. I don't smoke anything but pipes and cigars anyway, and then only on a biweekly or semi-monthly basis. Therefore, the three things I decided to do today were: 

  • get at least 8 hours of sleep tonight (easy)
  • eat a serving of good fat (as if I needed an excuse to eat olives and nuts)
  • meditate for 10 minutes

I started going back to the gym recently, and I happen to be going today. I'll probably do some resistance training while I'm there. I took the liberty of looking ahead at the upcoming challenges and I noticed that Day 26 is "Take the Marine Corps Fitness Test." Part of that test is doing pull-ups, so I'm going to try to get in shape for those. (Maybe I'll finally be able to do more than one stinking pull-up by the time this is over.) So I'll do some resistance training at the gym, including pull-ups (or attempted pull-ups).

So there you go! Five things I'm doing today to increase my testosterone. I expect that, by the end of the day, I'll be ready to go deep-sea fishing or run with the bulls. More likely I'll have the energy and pep and pickup to add five thousand more words to Novel #3 (which I'm trying to finish before Miss H gets home on Sunday, so she can read it). At the very least, more T should help me grow this dang beard out before I head to Hokkaido in February.

Wish me luck...  

No comments: