Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Bradbury's revenge

Miss H gave me a newspaper clipping a couple of days ago. It contained an Associated Press feature on Ray Bradbury, the famed science fiction author (now a nonagenarian), and his seminal work, Fahrenheit 451. Bradbury, an outspoken foe of e-books, e-readers and the like, has finally consented to allow his magnum opus to be made available to readers in electronic form. It went on sale last week for $9.99, and has sold a great many copies.

The sweet irony of the situation is that Bradbury predicted the existence of the e-reader, or at least the technological trends which gave birth to it. In Fahrenheit 451, humans have become so distracted with newfangled mass media that books have declined sharply in popularity, to the point of being outlawed. The first part of his prediction, at least, has come true. Thanks to the Internet, music sharing, live-streaming video, and all the other myriad forms of media, humans are subject to a constant stream of information and entertainment every waking hour.

Some might consider Bradbury's surrender to the technological tidal wave a form of betrayal. There was a time when I would have reviled the man for his decision. I once loathed technology. I staunchly disavowed Facebook, iTunes, YouTube, Wikipedia, Skype, and cellular phones. Now, I use all of these digital creations on a regular or semi-regular basis. (E-readers are still right out, however.)

I resisted the urge to call myself a traitor—at first. I needed a cell phone. I got my first cellular device in college, when I had to drive for three days to get to school. What if I broke down in the middle of Nowhere, North Dakota?

Then the computer came, and that was good: with it, I could satisfy my epistemological quests on Wikipedia, get my schoolwork done, and pen short stories on the side.

Facebook was next. Bah, humbug, I snorted. I have a cell phone. Why should I get a Facebook account? Just call me, peeps. No such luck. After some persuasive rhetoric from my friends and a 30-day free trial, I was a die-hard Facebooker.

Then came iTunes. It was insidious. It sidled into my life as though it had been invited...which, in a way, it had. I was sick of trying to stuff a Walkman and two or three CDs into my coat pockets. My folks got me an iPod Nano for Christmas one year, and I downloaded iTunes the very same day...never once looked back. Me, an iTunes user! And me, the inveterate Beatles fan, the Led Zeppelin lover, Pink Floyd's top admirer! Do you know that Flo Rida is on my iTunes  playlist? FLO RIDA!

I upgraded from a regular run-of-the-mill cell phone to a smart phone earlier this fall (a 'Droid 3), and it promptly ate my life. Between texting, Facebook, Words With Friends, Fruit Ninja, and Angry Birds (damn you to Hell, Angry Birds!), hardly five minutes go by when I don't pull my phone out of my pocket on some pretense and start fiddling with it.

So it goes. Matters have worsened exponentially over the years, but at such a gradual pace that I hardly realized what was happening. Perhaps I didn't want to realize it. I was entranced by the Digital Seductress, her guile, her temptations, her tender charms. I failed to see the Electronic Dragon chained by her side, whose icy breath froze my ambitions, hobbies, and habits. I hardly ever find time for those long, introspective walks anymore (and when I do, the iPod comes with me). I used to check Facebook once every day or two; now I log on at least twice an hour. That huge stack of books in the corner hasn't gotten much shorter in the last few months; but around 300 Wikipedia pages have mysteriously shown up in my browsing history. My novel, going on three years old, still hasn't been edited fully. And here I sit, a twenty-something with the world at his fingertips, flat broke, living in his parents' house, all ambition and no salt.

Man, thank goodness for last-minute revelations.

I finally caught myself. I've realized what a hole I've sunk into. The digital age...what a honeypot! And I fell for it, hook, line and sinker. Well, no more. Tomorrow begins the new era. You are my witness. As I live and breathe, I am taking an e-hiatus. Thirty days, no more, no less. My Android is going on the nightstand; I shall not answer a text, play a game, check Facebook or read the news on it for thirty days. I shall answer phone calls and plug it into the charger, but otherwise I shall not touch it. The television (also neglected now that I have Mr. Internet) is getting switched off. I shall indulge myself in one hour's pleasure every Monday night when Terra Nova comes on. The computer shall be used for researching factual information for my novel, editing said novel, job-hunting and checking e-mail, nothing more. Facebook is officially forsaken. Video and computer games are verboten. Music shall be severely restricted; I've been overdosing on it lately and can feel a full-scale burnout coming on. I won't sit there for hours on my laptop, with my ears beneath my headphones and my glazed eyes on the screen. Those days are over. The ship has sailed. It's time to get back to basics.

I shall use this blissful respite from the e-demons to get some constructive work done: namely, finding a job, revising my manuscript (and other works-in-progress), devoting time to my relationship with Miss H, and ultimately figuring out what I want to do with my life. I hope that the perspective I gain during this hiatus will lend clarity and illumination to my next steps in life, and break the destructive cycle of stagnation and wastefulness which my headlong absorption in electronic media has begotten me.

One important exception to the rule will be, obviously, this blog.

I'm going to tell you, day-by-day, how this e-hiatus (as I shall hereafter refer to it) is going. It's been a long time coming, and I sense the chains will be hard to break. Hell, I know they will be. Earlier this evening I caught myself compulsively taking my phone out of my pocket for no reason at all, even after I'd promised to give up Angry Birds. I have it bad, folks. This upcoming interlude will likely resemble withdrawal rather than vacation time. Nonetheless, as always, I will bring you the unvarnished truth, as ugly as it may be. Stay tight, be true, and hang in there.

And for Pete's sake, wish me luck.

Day One begins tomorrow.

9 comments:

Smithy said...

I have to be honest, the irony of you using a BLOG to keep us up-to-date with your hiatus from modern technology is quite extraordinary.

An iTunes is not to blame for you having Flo Rida on your iPod. Only you can take blame for that one, Sir.

Shoup said...

You realize that e-texts and digital copies and kindles and all that nonsense actually makes the danger of Fahrenheit 451 impossible, right? You can never burn all the E-copies and my little kindle can be hidden quite easily.

A.T. Post said...

The blogging serves a twofold purpose, Smithy: (a) it ensures that I don't have to quit technology cold turkey, and therefore wind up in a corner tearing paper into strips; and (b) it actually enforces the technology ban, as I'll feel quite guilty about admitting to 77 people that I have no willpower.

Point taken; I wasn't trying to blame iTunes for my [hard swallow] dalliance in Flo Rida. The example merely demonstrates how far I've fallen...

Shoup: Hush, you. The parallels are there. And regardless of whether or not the CONTENTS of a book may be preserved electronically, the books THEMSELVES can still be burned, and that is the tragedy.

You'd best hide that Kindle well. I'll sledgehammer it if I find it.

Unknown said...

You're missing the entire point of the conclusion of Farenheit 451 (regardless of the author's fucked up ideas). The medium of the story told isn't relevant. The first time I read Farentheit 451, it was on a CRT monitor in my parent's basement. I had illegally procured it.

Anyways.... while I applaud your effort, you aren't going about this the right way. When Michael Jackson died, I found out a week later, since I had gone on a fucking awesome adventure. No Internet, no phones, no TV, no newspaper. I didn't bring any books with me either. I brought a canoe, a partner to man the bow, and enough gear to last us the week. That is a fucking e-hiatus. Do this properly dude. Get the fuck out there and properly tune out. This is coming from a guy whose career is dependent on such technology.

A wise old man once told me, take a weekend sabbatical at least quarterly. This means no Internet and certainly not blogging about it. Get out into nowhere, clear your mind, and come back refreshed and with a renewed relationship with communication media. You'll soon realize it's not the technology itself you loathe, but rather your lack of self-diversity when exposed to it.

Bottom line: Technology is awesome. I fucking love it and so should you, but there's more to life than Angry Birds.

Shoup said...

What English Said...

I still think, after Christmas we should take a three day camping trip out in the middle of nowhere that I showed you on google maps, (Where it's really dark), do a bit of hiking, a bit of drinking and a bit of astronomy

Shoup said...

Also, you totally missed my point, and hell, even Bradbury's point about books. In the end it wasn't important that the physical books survived it was important that the IDEAS survived. The idea is going to more easily survive through e-books than through hard copies.

A.T. Post said...

And you guys are still missing MY point. I LIKE BOOKS, dammit. I don't care about the ideas contained within them, I want them couched in print, not cyberspace.

English: Fucking-A, man. That canoe trip sounds awesome. And believe me, if I had the means and the time to take such a proper e-hiatus, I'd do it. But I don't. I have zero funds. Zilch. Nada. More to the point, you've missed the fundamental purpose of this particular e-hiatus. The point is not to completely divest myself of all technology. The point is to refocus my attentions on more important activities, such as writing (which I need my computer to do), research (ditto), reading (for which I need books) and exercise (not germane from any technological standpoint, but still relevant). I am not trying to eliminate technology from my life for 30 days, I'm merely trying to excise all the extraneous and frivolous things which I use technology for, and which distract me from bigger and better things, like writing novels or losing my beer gut. QED.

Once I have the means, I intend to take a full and complete e-hiatus quarterly, as that wise old man you know so aptly suggested. I hope you'll join me on a few excursions.

"Bottom line: Technology is awesome. I fucking love it and so should you, but there's more to life than Angry Birds."

I hope to inscribe this upon your mausoleum one day. It's awesome. As usual, you've cut to the heart of the matter.

Shoup: I shall be glad to join you on that trip. Name the date and time.

You make a fair point about Bradbury's premise in "Fahrenheit 451," but if the man didn't have at least a modicum of sentimental attachment to print media he wouldn't have resisted putting his magnum opus upon on Kindle for so long. I don't care about ideas; I care about books. I dislike technology. I remain old-fashioned to the point of being antediluvian. THAT is my point, sir.

Shoup said...

Or he thought it would hurt is potential royalty dollars...

A.T. Post said...

Quiet, you.