Tuesday, January 26, 2010

this damn novel

I don't know if I've mentioned this properly, but I'm an aspiring novelist. I've been writing ever since I was a pre-teen, mostly tongue-in-cheek poems and short stories about animals. Then, after I got to college, I realized two things: (a) I really couldn't stand advanced chemistry, and therefore probably couldn't be a zoologist; and (b) I actually really enjoyed writing. I began to wonder if I could do it for a living, in fact. I liked to write, and I liked animals, and science, and people, and culture...and I loved to travel, see new places and describe them floridly. Why not?

So I switched my major to journalism, got my degree, and set out on the road to become a travel writer.
But even before that, the writer's madness began to take hold. My imagination has always been overactive. I read ravenously as a child and was instilled not only with the capacity to create fantasy-worlds from the whirling darkness of my mind, but also to put them on paper in an intriguing way. And so the short stories took shape. They were awful, undoubtedly. The writing may have been above average, but the plots were thin and the premises ludicrous. I wrote an entire novelette in high school about a family of nurse sharks who migrated across the perilous ocean floor to a new home in a secure reef. (Needless to say, it was inspired by Watership Down.)

When I was 19, something finally resembling an original idea began to coalesce in my head.
An idealist. Yeah, there's this dissatisfied idealist. Unhappy with his lot, see? Working a dead-end job. Going nowhere, slowly. Him and his best buddy, both. And then what do they find out? They're reincarnated from history's heroes. The souls of humanity's most famous warriors, leaders and tricksters are bound up inside them. These two guys are privy to these famous men's powers, fighting prowess, intelligence, cleverness, and charisma.

The story underwent several permutations. At first, my two protagonists discovered a time-machine and became sort of like time-traveling private investigators. That didn't last too long. It's a rip-off, for one thing. There's half a dozen original Star Trek episodes just like that, not to mention that Sci-Fi Channel series TimeCop. I also wasn't happy with the realistic side of things, either. My idealist (let's call him Protagonist Number One, and his buddy Protagonist Number Two) was working in an antique clock shop in Los Angeles, inherited from his deceased parents. That coincidence seemed a little too corny. So I scrapped it.

I'm paranoid about plagiarism, so I won't say much about the plot of the story as it stands now. I will say that the theme is now post-apocalyptic. A global time disaster sucks these two guys in and spews them onto a new world, where (armed with their new-found metaphysical powers), they pursue their fortunes. The plot roughly parallels human history (beginning with ancient Sumer, hence all the stuff I've been reading about old Mesopotamia). I've got some rather weighty things to say about human civilization and social behavior along the way, too. Protagonists 1 and 2 will acquire a motley bunch of supporting characters over time, all of whom have something to contribute to the story (literally and allegorically). It's going to be a great adventure, a little bit preachy, grandiose, captivating, lucid, funny, rip-roaring, swashbuckling, touching, and all those other things that my favorite adventure novels and fantasy epics are.

Now, I've actually finished writing the damn thing. It's been sitting in my top desk drawer for months. Why could that be? I love writing. I love this story I've created with all my heart. I think other people are going to love it, too. So why am I hesitating yet again?

I'm scared.
I'm scared of that manuscript. I know exactly how Victor felt when he looked down upon the monster he'd sewed together from corpses, and it opened its watery yellow eyes and grinned at him. I've created a monster. It's grown into something much larger than I thought it would. I think it could be great. But there's the terrifying thought that, after my editing is done, it might not be great. I want this to come out perfect, or as near to perfect as possible. And I'm not sure I can do it. And even if it gets to the point where I think it's good, and have grown as fond of it as a proud father of his child, and send it out into the world to seek its fortunes...where's the guarantee that other people will like it? What if they hate it? Or sweet mother of sassafras, what if they love it? What if it becomes the biggest thing since Harry Potter? What if this thing transcends genres, age groups, sexes, borders? What if the entire planet likes it? What if it becomes so popular that ravening fan groups on the Internet begin breathing down my neck for endless sequels?

All of these fears and apprehensions torment me daily—whenever I open that top drawer and see that manuscript sitting there, grinning at me with water yellow eyes. I'm afraid of imperfection, I'm afraid of failure, and I'm afraid of success.

But you know what? I've decided not to care anymore. I've waited long enough. I want to see people's eyes light up when they read this story, the way mine do. I want to get this thing revised, accepted, printed, published.

So I finally unleashed it from the desk drawer two weeks ago. It sat on my nightstand for two weeks, just sort of "airing out," as I told myself. But today, after a long bout of late-night soul searching the previous evening (during which tears were shed, Coldplay was listened to, mournful pamphlets written, and morose epigrams dispensed on Facebook)...

Today, after four years of daydreaming, writing, ripping, tearing, destroying, rewriting, rethinking, and reworking...

Today, after four months of equivocating, stalling, hiding, cowering, rationalizing, hemming and hawing...

Today I picked that manuscript up, sat down on my bed, and had a look at Chapter One.

And you know what? I reworked it. I rewrote some bits that other people had said weren't working. I switched some stuff around. I changed some information. I refined, expanded, revised, expounded, redid. My heart swelled with every word. And I got it done. The long-awaited second edit of the Postman's very first novel has commenced. It's not the last edit, certainly not. But it's a start. It's the first step down the long, leery, hardscrabble, soul-scouring road of revision. At the end lies the publication process, itself a trial, but the next link in the chain to everlasting glory.

I'm sitting here, typing this, that exhilarated feeling pounding through my torso, feeling like I've just run a marathon or survived the final round of a trivia contest. I'm on cloud nine. This feels good. I don't know why I waited this long. I ought to be ashamed of myself. Since when have I ever cared what other people think? Life's scary. So what? Overcoming uncertainties isn't easy. Who cares? That's how you're supposed to live life: conquering insecurity, dealing with uncertainty, and learning from your mistakes.
I don't care if I get critiqued. I'll take whatever harsh edits my friends and editors throw at me, and use them to better the final product. The criticisms of the audience I'll use as ammunition against error in ensuing works.

I don't mean to be a name-dropper, but there are a few people who said what I want to say before I did, and I want to give them their due. It was Winston Churchill who gave us what is now my new favorite quote:

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things."
Henry Ford had something else pithy to contribute:
"Whether you think you can or think you can't—you are right."
And it was Eleanor Roosevelt, bless her, who stated:
"Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent."
I don't care if people say this is the single greatest flop in the history of literature. I'm going to fix it. I'm going to finish it. And I'm going to do my best with it. Then I'll sleep easy.

At least I'll have tried.

19 comments:

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

This is so wonderful and honest. And I'm so proud of you for taking this leap.

You need an agent. Do you follow any agent blogs?

A.T. Post said...

Thanks a million. Means a lot to me to hear you say that. I read over this after I'd published it and thought "There I go being whiny and insecure again."

Agent! Yes. I was wondering whether I needed one of those or not. I didn't even know there WERE any agent blogs. Do you know of one? I'd be in your debt if you could point me to it.

Jerry said...

I admire you. I have the attention span of a gnat and quickly get bored with anything I am writing beyond page 3.

The worse that can happen is that you get a rejection slip from some fool -- but then you can frame it. After all, how many people do you know that has a rejection slip on their wall. Sort of a Badge of Honor.

But the worse is a long way from the probable.

Keep plugging.

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

Try this one out: http://blog.nathanbransford.com/

It's a lively, fun place, with lots and lots of helpful links.

This post does not come across as whiny at all. It comes across as brave and strong to me.

Entrepreneur Chick said...

I was JUST reading at-

http://affordableaccoutrements.blogspot.com/2010/01/melancholy-table.html

today that Emily Dickinson, who I adore, had quite the trouble...

"While in her early 30's, Dickinson made tentative attempts at having her work published, but it was far ahead of its time and she did not meet with success."

And also:

"Only seven poems were published in her lifetime, each changed by editors to suit the day's standards of rhyme, punctuation, and meter."

Now, can you even believe that, Postie?

The reason why you're so nervous is that you are, at the end of the day, really an artist.

No artist ever thinks his work is any good.

Let's call your inner critic Alfred.

You tell Alfred to shut his pie hole.

WAY TO GO!

A.T. Post said...

Jerry: That's how it used to be! I'd get to page 20 or so, stare at blank page 21, then delete the whole thing off my computer in a fit of pique. I heard both Sylvia Plath (author of "The Glass Menagerie") and Stephen King acquired stacks of rejection slips early in their careers. Badges of Honor indeed! Thanks for the perspective. You got it, I'll keep plugging.

Polly: Muchas gracias, amiga! I mean it. I'm heading over to check that blog out right now.

And thanks for the kind words. You sure know how to cheer a person up. Maybe somebody will take some lessons from my insecure depressions and inspirational recoveries, eh? Won't be a total loss.

EC: That sounds interesting...I had no idea. Poor Emily! A wittier or truer writer there never was. And she had to go through all that monstrous mangling of her work? Heinous! I don't believe it! You could PROVE it to me and I wouldn't believe it.

Thanks for the pick-me-up, friend. I needed it. Alfred can shove it. I'm movin' on.

Now if I could just get him to shut up about eating those cookies...

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

I have a horrible confession to make: I don't like Emily Dickinson.

I know, I know - how can I have a graduate degree in English and dislike Emily Dickinson? You should have seen the look on my thesis director's face when I told him that. I thought he was going to slap me.

Sharon said...

I admire you...you know what you want, it makes you happy, and YOU DID IT!!!! Do you know how ahead of the game you are, on the path to success, freedom and happiness????

Keep doing your thing, cheers to you!!!

A.T. Post said...

No worries, Polly. While we're confessing cardinal language-related sins, I'll step up to the plate. I'm not a writer. I've never read any Kurt Vonnegut. Apparently you can't call yourself a writer unless you've read Kurt Vonnegut. Particularly that stuff about the Tralfamadorians, that's required reading.

Let's just say I have no reason to DISLIKE Emily Dickinson. I haven't read enough of her stuff to judge either way. You're perfectly entitled not to like her. Probably overrated anyway...

Chloe: Well, I'm glad to hear you say that! As one who enjoys an enormous amount of freedom, success and happiness, you're qualified to judge. Thanks ever so for stopping by and saying as much!

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

Well, I haven't read Vonnegut either. Were you looking at the post about Tralfamadore on Nathan Bransford's blog?

Entrepreneur Chick said...

Hey, Chloe!

You know who I'd really like to slap around?
Walt Freakin' Whitman. AND that arrogant Emerson and kick in David Thoreau for good measure- Walden Pond, blah, blah, blah.

The most compelling thing to me about Dickinson is not so much her writing, but the fact that she liked her room.

I like my room. I'm honestly not that social though everyone things I am.

A.T. Post said...

Polly: I was indeed. But even before that, I'd been advised to read Vonnegut, even by some people my own age. "Slaughterhouse Five" in particular. Maybe we could do Vonnegut after we get through with Faulkner. Speaking of which, when are we officially going to start reading?

EC: YOU TAKE THAT BACK. I was the only guy in my class who actually liked "Walden." Okay, yeah, sure, Thoreau's so sententious he makes me look like Winnie the Pooh. Sure, even I can't figure out what the f*** he's talking about with the fish in the sky and all that. But seriously, building a cabin by a pond in the woods? Living there for a year? Playing tag with the loons? There's a man after my own heart.

I like my room. Can't be much wrong with a person who likes her room, right? Maybe I should read Dickinson.

Yeah.

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

You DO kind of look like Winnie-the-Pooh :)

OOh, let's read Vonnegut instead of Faulkner. Seriously. I'm good with Slaughterhouse Five.

If you like Thoreau, you should try Annie Dillard - Pilgrim at Tinker Creek.

I like my room too. Unfortunately, so does my son's crazy cat.

Entrepreneur Chick said...

Gosh. Okay, I'll take it back.

Polly, my Boxer, Emerson, (ironic now, huh?) will pee on my bed if I leave my room with the door open.

What's up with that?

BTW, I saw a loon once when I was camping. It was way out in the lake and I thought it was some sort of a monster. I'm impressionable like that.

But I'm not shallow because Polly can't stand me saying I am shallow. (Shallow people are scared of monsters. It's true.)

I'll trade you Emerson for your son's cat.

What's the cat's name?

Entrepreneur Chick said...

Postie,

I forgot! We are up to 64 events a month now. We picked up three more clients last week. YAY.

A.T. Post said...

I'm just kidding, dearie. Feel free to dislike whatever you want to dislike. I've long given up defending my antiquarian taste in books/film.

Sixty-four events a month! Congratulations! Those three new clients of yours have good taste...way to go. I suspect after so many events per month you'd cherish your "me" time. Can't blame you at all.

Anonymous said...

Your post felt like something I might have written. Talk about resonating! I think as writers we do run the spectrum of emotions when it comes to our work.

Have you ever strolled over to Critique Circle? (www.critiquecircle.com) That's where I hang my work out to air. Lots of great critiques, helpful advice, and some silliness tossed in too. I highly recommend the site to help you revise your work and get all the kinks out. They've got some great advice concerning finding an agent, pitfalls on the road to publishing, well, just about anything you need to know about writing and publishing.

Thanks for opening a window and letting us peer into your heart. Good stuff.

Kim Ayres said...

Miss Snark no longer writes her blog, but it is still there full of vat amounts of useful insight into the mind and practices of a literary agent.

Well worth spending some time looking through

http://misssnark.blogspot.com/

A.T. Post said...

Why thank you, propinquity. I'm glad to hear your feedback.

Critique Circle? No, I hadn't heard of it. Thank you for the link! This sounds like just what I'm looking for. I need all the advice and critiques I can get. And I know zilch about the publication process, too. Thank you ever so much.

Mr. Ayres: Thank you as well. I'll head over there directly. Gracias for stopping by, too.