Saturday, September 12, 2009

cocktail review no. 11 - Black Stripe Cold

This was a wacky one.
  • 2 ounces dark rum
  • ½ ounces molasses
  • 1 teaspoon honey
  • 1 ounce boiling water
  • crushed ice
Pour the ingredients into a mixing glass and stir to dissolve the molasses and honey. Then pour that into an old-fashioned glass filled with crushed ice. Stir well. I seem to be on a losing streak. I'll see a cocktail recipe with oddball ingredients like this one, and invariably think to myself, "Hey, that looks interesting." Then I'll make it, and it'll turn out to be a dud. It's happened to me many times. This one didn't taste bad, per se; it just didn't taste good. First of all, as my father was quick to point out, putting rum and molasses into the same drink is redundant. This drink's flavor was somewhere between the two. The honey just made it sweet without really adding anything else. Furthermore, I suspect this drink would be best served hot, not cold. Rummy molasses-flavored ice water is not the best idea for a cocktail.

2 comments:

Tongue Trip said...

ok, so it didnt taste good, but you made it sound amusing. how did it smell BTW?

A.T. Post said...

It smelled much like molasses, with a whiff of liquor that made my nose-hairs crinkle.

Thank you for your kind words and interest.