Thursday, September 17, 2009

who needs Twitter?

Jeez, I can do everything that site can and more. Just watch: Postman I'm sitting in my easy chair writing on my blog. 1 minute ago Postman I'm beginning to think the U.S. would be greatly improved if we excised both Hollywood and the District of Columbia and shoved them out to sea. 3 minutes ago Postman Just wandered past where my dad is watching baseball, wishing I knew a little more about professional sports. 10 minutes ago Postman Wandering around outside when it's pitch-dark out with no moon, nothing but the stars and the faint streak of the Milky Way above your head, and the occasional outburst of barking dogs way off in the darkness, is a surreal experience. 23 minutes ago Postman Sipping a martini with the folks while watching Deadly Women. 51 minutes ago Postman Well, I suppose I'd better get off this thing (and quit taking such fatuous Facebook quizzes as What Super Smash Bros. character are you?). 1 hour ago Postman Hmmm, Henry David Thoreau had some interesting things to say about fish in the sky, didn't he? 5 years ago Postman Doo doo ga ga boo boo? 22 years ago P'shaw. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Twitter's for twits. Micro-blogging strikes me as the stupidest thing to come out since...since...well, macro-blogging, actually. Who the hell cares what everybody else is doing or thinking on a minute-by-minute basis? For a long time now I've suspected that nobody on Blogger actually reads anybody else's blogs. Not really. They just sort of pop in from time to time, skim the first article that catches their eye, leave a superficial comment and scram. On the other hand, they pour hour after agonizing hour into crafting their own blog, in the vain hope that somebody's going to look at it. (That's what I do, anyway.) I'll bet that problem is only accentuated on Twitter. I'll just bet you everybody on there pours insane amounts of energy into posting updates (known as "Tweeting," as if the name "Twitter" wasn't damning enough) and none into actually reading anybody else's. I should bloody well hope that's what people do, anyway. What kind of craven, suppressed, inanimate sort of person would actively follow somebody's Tweets? What kind of nut are you to actually care what complete strangers are doing (unless, like me, they're reading good books, drinking strange cocktails, traveling to far-flung places and flying high-performance airplanes)? I think I should point out that I'm not bitter about the age I was born into. Okay, maybe a little. I really couldn't give a crap whether everybody in the world was texting on their cell phones, gaming on their Nintendo DS's, or Tweeting on their computers. I just wish that, for once, the telecommunications industry would stop innovating (if that's what it's called). Progress for the sake of progress is not progress. Just because everybody is doing something does not make it cool (ask the nearest lemming). All this electronic whiz-bang might make our lives a little more convenient, but not if we become slaves to it. Where's the mystery of life gone to? If we sat through every concert, every awards ceremony, every fireworks show, every lovemaking session and constantly Tweeted it all, there'd be no surprises left for anybody. And what more is there to life than surprises? Mystery? New things? Or at the very least, good old-fashioned mano a mano face-to-face person-to-person communication? Twitter is a bad idea. Blogging itself might potentially be as well (although it does allow me to say this). E-mail is abhorrent: I'll bet you in another twenty years nobody will even know what the phrase "snail mail" even means. The Internet is great at connecting people; nobody stopped to consider the people who didn't want to be connected. You know, let's just cut right to the chase. I don't even think we should've come down out of the trees. Our feet were on the ground, but our heads shot straight into the clouds...the thunderheads instead of those nice feathery cirrus formations at the edge of the stratosphere. Call me old-fashioned if you want. All I have to do is switch off this computer and you can't touch me. At least this world still has that much going for it.

4 comments:

Smithy said...

Very interesting...and I agree as well. I have a Twitter account though I rarely tweet. I use to satisfy my intense cravings for celebrity gossip that I attempt to keep hidden from everybody like a meth habit. I think the positives of the internet outweigh the negatives...you have just have to have the trust in mankind that the morons won't win. Used in the right way, the internet is a gift.
Anyway, there's my superficial comment. Must scram. Must go and craft my own blog.

A.T. Post said...

Fear not, Smithy. You're exempt from the stupidity allegations I set forth. I myself have an addiction to anime that I'm trying desperately to keep under control and under wraps. So in that respect I guess I'm abusing the Internet. Apart from that, I don't trust it. Your faith in the inherent intelligence of humanity is refreshing to see (I wish I could muster up as much). And thank you for beautifying my blog with your presence.

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

Wow. So much to comment on in that very provocative blog. Blogocative? Can that be a word?

Sorry - I digress. All the time.

I don't get Twitter either; it actually makes me feel sort of nauseous when I've made the mistake of looking at it, thinking maybe there really is something to it. And then I'm always confirmed in the suspicion that No. No there isn't.

I've only been blogging for less than two weeks, but as a lifelong writer, I'm VERY glad to have finally embraced this medium. I think it can be a bad idea, can cross a variety of lines it maybe shouldn't, but like everything else in life - it's what you do with it.

I've browsed a lot of blogs in the past couple of weeks, and have only signed to follow ones that I do want to read all the way through. I definitely wouldn't comment on one just to kiss ass, although, obviously, there is always at least a partial motive to generate traffic to your own blog. I'm way more interested in developing relationships though, which is primarily why I write in the first place, and why blogging is a great format.

Sorry for the long-windedness of that.

A.T. Post said...

If you didn't like digressions, I get the feeling you wouldn't have stuck around this blog very long.

I feel the same way you do. "What's the bloody point?" I ask (scream).

Oooh, you've been writing all your life? Any tips you can give an aspiring scrivener? How'd you get into it?

No problem-o. I appreciate your input, as always. I'm flattered that you want to read this all the way through (I think you'll find some good stuff).