Tuesday, October 13, 2009

bulletized quickies...I mean, quick bulletins


  • I am now 20 pages into the first edit of my recently completed novel. I made the description of the opening setting more detailed, such as giving the name of the bar where my two protagonists like to hang out after work. (Shelly's Back Room, Washington, D.C. It's a nifty little cigar parlor.)
  • My new California driver's license came in the mail. Or rather, my old California driver's license came in the mail. I have the same number, the same shaky signature, even the same terrible photograph, taken when I was 16 years old, right after I got a buzz-cut. It expires in one year, too. Instead of making me a completely new license, California merely dredged up my old one from the archives instead. Gosh darn those mother-fudging son-of-a-witch dastards. Anyway, this finally closes the book on my frustrating quest to get my car registered in Southern California.
  • I'm going to discontinue that column I have going on here, random travel destinations. It's silly. I think, if I am going to do it, I'll wait until I've actually been to these places before I decide to showcase them on my blog. Stay tuned for a grand reinstatement in 50 years.
  • As I write this, I am sucking on a blueberry-flavored lollipop...which has a dead scorpion in the center of it. I've just managed to get his little stinger uncovered.
  • I'm going to watch The Matrix Reloaded tonight.
  • I went into town at 11:00 today for my FAA flight physical. The Federal Aviation Administration demands that anybody who is, or is training to be, a pilot must hold a medical certificate issued by an approved physician. To get this medical certificate, a pilot must submit to a medical examination on a regular basis. I went in to get my Class 3 (lowest) medical certificate today with a Dr. Krider, the doctor that my soon-to-be flight school Apple Valley Aviation endorses. The nurse weighed me (I'm 20 pounds lighter than I was the last time I got a medical examination), tested my eyes, took my pulse and blood pressure, and had me pee in a cup. Then Dr. Krider came in, listened to my breathing, prodded my chest and torso, had me (ahem) turn my head and cough, and then pronounced me fit to fly. I was issued my medical certificate and went on my merry way. But get this: my colorblindness has mysteriously disappeared. The last Class 3 certificate I was issued had to have restrictions put on it (no night flying and no navigating by colored light signals) because I had failed the color test. They had me stare at those dang bits of paper with bunches of colored dots on them and asked me to tell them what numbers I saw. And of course I said, "I don't see any numbers," because I couldn't, dammit. This time, though, I buckled down, squinted, cocked my head to the side, reached out with extrasensory force, and passed the test. This time, I saw not only the 12 but also the 15, the 4, the 7...not all of the little buggers, but enough to pass the test. Now my certificate has no restrictions on it, which means I'm free to complete any and all training for a private pilot's license, including night flying. Yippee! Let's get to it! Bring on the Cessna 172 and let's saddle up! Aviation-related blog posts are finally on their way!
  • The National Geographic Channel can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned. They've got two shows currently running that are the proverbial bee's knees: Mega Beasts and Prehistoric Predators. Both are overflowing with gorgeous computer-generated images of ferocious monsters and fabulous creatures that seem to leap right off the screen at you, plus little-known facts that even I, a lifelong paleobiology lover, never suspected. Did you know Hyaenodon had incredibly long nasal tubes so it could still breathe even when it had a mouthful of meat?




5 comments:

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

Ah, so it's paleobiology, is it? Nice.

I don't think I've heard of a miraculous color-blindness healing before. That's pretty cool. You could probably get on Oprah or something with that.

Are you serious about the lollipop scorpion? That seems like bordering on the miraculous too.

I kinda like the random travel destinations, but do what you feel is best.

Matrix and Matrix Reloaded are both awesome movies, but the third one was the biggest movie disappointment of my life. I left the movie theater severely irritated, and it didn't wear off all night.

A.T. Post said...

Yes. I'm always serious about the bugs I eat. Or in this case, arachnids (they're not pollinators by any chance too, are they?). My mom bought it for me when she was driving through Arizona. I've had similar suckers with crickets in them, but didn't enjoy them as much, because they were creme-de-menthe flavor.

Really??? You liked RTD? Well...I might just keep going then. As long as one reader likes it...

Yeah, it took me a while to see it, but they kinda went in the wrong direction with that trilogy. Same with "Pirates." The first ones were the best.

I hope you mean you left the theater severely irritated AFTER the movie finished...

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

Yes I do like the list - it was one of the things that attracted me to your blog.

Incidentally, I once went out with a guy known as Demon, who was 27th in line for the throne of Norway.

I did make it all the way through Matrix 3 (it doesn't even deserve a name beyond that), but only because some part of me was still attached to the idea that I had to like this movie because the others were so great.

Trilogies are funny. Empire Strikes Back is the best of the three, but the second Back to the Future sucked. You just never know. Can you think of a trilogy where they just keep getting better all the way through the third? Hmmm. Even LOTR 3 wasn't as good as the first and second.

I don't like any of the Pirates movies. Is that "absolutely unforgivable" too?

Ok. I cheated. At my son's suggestion, I went and searched "best movie trilogy" and realized that for me, it is probably Indiana Jones, at least in the sense of the best being the last.

But the best overall trilogy, as far as consistency of quality, would have to be Star Wars (the originals, not that crap that passes for Star Wars these days).

I still like Matrix 1 and 2 far better than any of these other movies though.

Sorry, but once I get started on movies it's very hard to stop.

A.T. Post said...

"Demon"? 27th in line for the Norwegian throne? I believe you. That's too good to be imaginary. Never let anybody tell you you've never done anything cool.

I'll be the first to admit that I like bad movies. I have a tendency to accept a movie if there's a decent amount of action in it, even if the plot is horrid (or nonexistent). Which isn't to say I don't like movies with plots...but I have found that the third movie in a trilogy is almost never as good as the fourth. I find that the second is almost uniformly the worst (Star Wars is a happy exception to that rule). Not liking "Pirates" is not only forgivable...it's a plus.

Why, Indiana Jones??? How did you know what my favorite movie trilogy of all time was (in which all three movies are pure gold)?

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

I didn't know that - I even feared that you would scorn that choice of trilogies. It did make me sad about this new Indiana Jones movie though. They should have just left it alone. But I guess they'll probably be making a bunch of movies involving the son now. Ah, Hollywood.

My movie confession is that there are certain "fluff" movies that I really enjoy and return to again and again. Comfort movies, if you will. They usually involve Reese Witherspoon.

Demon (Mark Johannssen) got his name because he arrived at a party where just moments before they had decided that the next person to walk in would be Demon One. And it just stuck. He was actually a really nice guy. And had the hugest collection of LPs I've ever seen, a whole room of them, all alphabetized.