Saturday, October 24, 2009

cocktail review no. 15 - Vodka and Tonic

Now, I realize this is a pretty pedestrian drink by contemporary standards. It's just a classic highball: a liquor, a mixer, and possibly a garnish, stirred together in a glass with ice and served up fast. But I'm trying to use up the enormous bottles of tonic water and club soda I purchased for the Halloween party, and this was a simple way to do it.

Plus, inexplicably, I'd had a curious hankering for vodka all day. It hit me first when my father and I were in the middle of painting the west wall of the garage. Maybe the paint fumes went to my head or something. Maybe it's because my friends loaded me down with Smirnoff, Grey Goose and Stolichnaya a few cocktail parties back. But all of the sudden, I said aloud, "You know, I think I'd like a vodka cocktail tonight." Anyway, here goes:

  • 2 ounces vodka
  • 5 ounces tonic 
  • lemon twist
Combine the vodka and the tonic in a highball glass half-filled with ice cubes. Garnish with the lemon twist.

There are as many other vodka-to-tonic ratios as there are stars in the heavens, but this one most closely approximates my drink's proportions. I think this drink bears mentioning because it's refreshing and easy to make. The tonic just barely covers up the vodka, while the vodka takes some of the edge off the quinine. The lemon twist adds a nice tart overtone to the whole thing. This drink is also pretty healthy—the vodka is the most caloric item in it. The tonic water and the lemon twist are nothing at all. And it is refreshing, with an ice-cold, tart, pleasantly bitter sort of flavor. Good for a quickie.





10 comments:

Mary Witzl said...

Everything sounds great -- except for the vodka. I can't drink without getting drunk right away.

I want something with ice and a lemon twist in it, though -- maybe sparkling water would do it?

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

A healthy vodka drink - what a great idea!

I'm not a fan of tonic water, but I'd give this drink a shot anyway.

The second sentence of this post made me want to make up a joke that starts, "A liquor, a mixer, and a garnish walked into a bar..."

Maybe you could make up the rest of it - that's as far as I got.

I don't know if paint fumes and vodka are a very good combo.

A.T. Post said...

Yeah! Club soda and a lemon twist (or a shot of lemon juice. You could substitute some lime juice and a lime twist instead, that's even better. That's a nice little nonalcoholic cordial.

Yeah, tonic water takes some doing. But I've come around to it.

A liquor, a mixer, and a garnish walk into a bar. The barman looks them up and down and says "Get out. We don't serve your kind here."

Carrie said...

*sigh*

Oh the experiences I'll miss, having decided never to drink. :/ There are upsides to the decision, obviously, and I reserve the right to revoke it at any given moment, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Glad you enjoyed your drink though. Have another for the excuse of drinking it for me. ;)

Smithy said...

A very simple drink which, as with most things that are easy to do, is exceptionally easy to do badly. Same with the humble G&T. So easy to make a bad one.
My personal favourite has to be with crushed ice in a tall, thick glass with a stirrer and a piece of fresh lime for me to squeeze myself. That's for the G&T by the way - vodka makes me mental.

A.T. Post said...

Carrie: I once made the same resolution. I used to think alcohol tasted horrible.

Can do: another vodka and tonic sounds grand now, especially since it's a windy, dusty day out here in the desert and I can't go flying. Nuts...

Smithy: apt as always. Gin & tonics are horrid if done badly or even disproportionately. But I have to say, the G&Ts they served up at the Alibabar in Okpo weren't bad.

Man, you've got the sophisticated gin & tonic recipe there! In what manner does vodka make you mental?

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

Not bad!

Smithy said...

Vodka has, in the past, been my excuse for falling down in public, attempting to moonwalk, singing in the street and sleeping with idiots.
So, in that manner, I suppose.

Smithy said...

Oh, and Postman, your joke would have been better had it started, "A liquor, a mixer, and a garnish walk into a pub in Newcastle...

A.T. Post said...

Ah. I see. Understandable. Except that there's nothing wrong with falling down in public, singing in the street and attempting to moonwalk. I do that when I'm sober.

Jeez! Of course! A pub in Newcastle! How could I have let that opportunity slide by? I'll know better next time. Gracias.