Saturday, October 31, 2009

a hodgepodge of cool stuff

I think the secret to happiness is being happy. It's just that simple. To be contented inside, you need to actually be contented. One of the ways to do that is to surround yourself, as much as possible, with things that make you happy. I'm not talking about being a materialist and buying yourself a bunch of plasma TVs and expensive tequila. I'm talking about appreciating the little stuff. When the little things make you happy, you'll never be unhappy for long. And you'll live a longer life because you'll enjoy more of what's in it. Now, not to brag or anything, but I'm one of the people who does that. I appreciate the small stuff, I mean. I mean, take Friday, for example. Got up in the morning and had a beautiful flight to Barstow-Daggett. Got informed by my instructor after landing back in Apple Valley that I'd be soloing the next time out. Went home and had my favorite sandwich ever for lunch. Got invited to a party that evening and had a marvelous time. Came back and listened to my new favorite Led Zeppelin song. (Just when I think those guys couldn't possibly get any better, I go and find another tune of theirs that I've never heard before that breaks all previous records for awesomeness.) On Halloween I got up and went shooting, played 36 holes of mini-golf with a couple of good friends, then went to my best buddy's house, sat around the fire, sipped some 14-year-old Clynelish, and got to try smoking a pipe for the first time. Now, some people might frown on this kind of lifestyle. Some people might not see anything exceptional in it. But I see happiness, the simple happiness that comes from taking time to enjoy the little things, to be with friends, to have some clean fun, to surround yourself with what you like, making your life a hodgepodge of cool stuff. The scrapbook of your life should be full of images that, viewed side-by-side, make you (not anyone else) pause and think, "Yeah, cool." I look back over the past few days and see pipe tobacco, Scotch, mini-golf, philosophical talk, bad jokes, friends, Led Zeppelin, costume parties, delicious sandwiches, flying, and good news. Have I got a good life or what?

7 comments:

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

Awesome post.

So what are your favorite sandwich and Led Zeppelin song? Inquiring minds want to know. Mine are: Reuben and Ramble On. (Sounds kinda like a band name.)

I also love mini-golf and fires.

A.T. Post said...

Thanks! I was worried...no, really.

My favorite sandwich? It's a long story, which is why I didn't attempt it above. It's called "fleisch salad." "Fleisch" is German for "meat" I believe. This is an old family recipe that's been around since...well, since my family was in Prussia (and was known as "Von Post"). In a nutshell, you take bologna and pickles (bread-and-butter pickles work best), grind 'em up in a meat grinder, mix into a paste with some mayonnaise (I prefer Miracle Whip) and slap that between two pieces of bread. It's got enough cholesterol to prostrate a monkey but it's dang delicious. I can't even describe it, and that's rare coming from me.

My new favorite Led Zeppelin song is "Hey Hey What Can I Do," which is apparently their only non-album single like, ever.

I'd forgotten the allure, the intimacy, the comfort of a good fire. It's a highly underrated pleasure.

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

I'm flabbergasted. That was very brave of you to admit that you eat such a thing. It sounds disgustingly delicious.

By the way, I think it enriches this post tremendously including this very vivid detail.

A.T. Post said...

Why, thanks. I didn't realize...although every time I describe this dish to non-members of my family, I always get the same uniform look of disgust. Hmmm. Philistines.

I must remember that to better my writings. Vivid details. It's a weakness of mine, leaving them out.

P.S. Ramble On is undoubtedly one of the best Led Zeppelin tunes of all time. Never did much go for Reuben sandwiches, though. Which is odd, considering the kind of sandwiches I DO go for.

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

What?! You, who would eat a whole can of sauerkraut, don't like Reubens??? I would venture to guess you just haven't had one made right.

My other favorite sandwich is the Muffaletta, a New Orleans original, with ham, Genoa salami, and provolone cheese all melted on special round sesame bread. The best part is the dressing - an olive mix with onions and olive oil.

Using vivid detail is something I've had to learn, too. I think we more sententious types tend to leave it out. But it's the detail that really puts a reader into the story. That whole "show, don't tell" thing.

Carrie said...

This sounds like a damn fine day to me. :) It's great to see more and more people on blogger talking about "the little things." It's refreshing, and the small, simple joys of life are so often overlooked. Kudos for another great post.

A.T. Post said...

Pollinatrix: Yeah, probably. My Dad's particular about how he makes his Reubens and they're probably too strong or something. Muffaletta sounds GORGEOUS. Yet another reason for me to go to New Orleans.

Carrie: Thanks for stopping by, and the kind words. You're right, some people don't appreciate the small stuff anymore, do they?