Saturday, October 17, 2009

cocktail review no. 14 - Dark and Spooky

Now, normally I'm not the kind of man who goes poking through recipe databases and plumbing the bowels of Martha Stewart's Web site for inspiration. Nuh uh, not me. No sir. But my mom is. That's how I wound up with this recipe. And I'm awfully glad she went to the trouble to hunt it up for me, because it was a hit at my Halloween party last night (more about that later). So, without further ado, here it is, courtesy of Claire Robinson for Food Network Magazine (and my mom):
  • 2 ounces dark rum
  • 2 ounces ginger beer or ginger ale
  • juice from 1 lime
  • 1 lime wedge
  • 1 black gummy spider
  • black decorating sugar
Spread out the black sugar on a small plate. Rub the lime wedge around the rim of a rocks glass and dip the glass into the sugar. Then fill the glass with ice. Combine the rum and lime juice in a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake well, and strain into the glass. Top with the ginger ale and add the gummy spider. And what have you got when you're finished doing this? If you've done it right, you should have an orange-colored drink with a black crust of sugar on the rim of the glass and a black spider hovering at the bottom. I didn't quite obtain that nifty result. The only gummy spiders I found (at Wal-Mart) were small, and multicolored. But the rest of it came off without a hitch, and the guests at the party who sampled the drink (yours truly included), thought it a tastefully sour, mellow sort of cocktail.

5 comments:

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

Yum! I'm going to have to try that.

Thanks for making me think of Martha Stewart's bowels. You don't get that every day.

I myself drank White Russians last night - my favorite drink.

Well, next to Jack & Coke, which I can't drink anymore because of its truly evil effects on me. Incidentally, the last time I drank it was when I camped in the San Bernardino hills, er, mountains.

A.T. Post said...

White Russians! Good choice. I wasn't fond of those until a friend mixed one up for me without looking in a book. Then it tasted good.

Jack & Coke...wow, you're tough. I like that. At least you're not going for the fru-fru drinks like cosmopolitans or vodka martinis.

Tell me about this camping trip you took to my backyard. Where and when did you go?

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

A case could be made for calling a White Russian a fru-fru drink, I think. But I don't care.

The trip was summer before last. I don't even remember the name of the campground we stayed at. It was above San Bernardino somewhere. I just remember that as you wind up this very rural road, you pass, of all things, a sushi bar.

I was with my boyfriend and our 8-month old, and we met up with a guy friend of mine who I'd briefly been more than friends with for a few months. That in itself was probably not a great idea, but he was living in Huntington Beach at the time and I really wanted to see him.

He and I are both big Jack fans, so we all proceeded to get ridiculously trashed. Let's just say it didn't end well.

A.T. Post said...

Just as long as you didn't hear about it from "The Big Lebowski" then you're OK.

Ah...I believe you must've approached the mountains from San Bernardino itself, then...from the southern side. I live on the north face. I might do some checking...it'd be a real kick if I could actually find what road you used (and the sushi bar).

Ah. I read you. Jack Daniels is not my best friend either.

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

Ok, so I looked, and I'm pretty sure it was on the same road as this other campground we thought about going to but didn't, for some reason: http://www.co.san-bernardino.ca.us/parks/glen.htm