Wednesday, October 7, 2009

novel, finished

That is correct. The work of four years, 107 pages, and approximately 50,666 words is finally completed. I'll have to edit the bejesus out of it, and the convoluted publication process still looms, but my novel is finished. I've been working on this story—or some version of it—since I was 19 years old. (Intriguingly, that's how old Stephen King was when he began writing his Dark Tower series.) It's gone through so many permutations that I scarcely remember how it began. Something about some time-traveling crime-fighting organization, or something. In retrospect, it's easy to understand why it got modified so much. Hard to think of anything more hackneyed or puerile, isn't it? I began working on this latest version nine or ten months ago, when I was still in Korea. My classes didn't start until two, and I had mornings completely to myself; I'd rise at nine or so, have a lazy breakfast in bed, snap on the computer, do some writing...and still have time for a nice constitutional down by the Gohyeon River and some push-ups. Work progressed slowly, but surely—different from the past, when I'd get about 40 pages into a particular version of the story and suddenly, savagely delete it in a fit of insecure self-disgust. I felt better about this version, more mature, more competent as a writer...but was still dogged by fear. Fear of screwing up. Fear of not doing it right. Fear of being hackneyed and puerile. But I was now old and wise enough to say, "Screw it. I'll write it and fix whatever's not right in the editing." And so it went...a paragraph here, half a chapter there. I completed my contract, gallivanted around Korea for a couple of weeks, then shipped out for home. The novel sat on my computer's motherboard (and on my USB drive), still incomplete. I took a lot of introspective walks, sat in darkened rooms in drunken desperation, read books of history, geography, and philosophy, endured a great many debilitating fugues...and finally resumed work. Last night, and the night before, I sat on my bed, a sick-tray on my lap, my laptop perched on top of it, cell phone, novels, comics, CD player and headphones on the comforter beside me, a glass of water and some reference books on the nightstand, and finished the goddamn thing. The climax flowed off my fingers with surprising ease, as did the denouement the night after. My Muse, whoever she may be, hadn't just descended this time; she'd fallen on me like a ton of bricks. She hadn't whispered in my ear; she'd used a bullhorn. As the last word appeared on the screen, I sat back, blinked, heaved a sigh, and collapsed onto the bedspread. Finished. Really and truly finished. About bloody time, too. It's not that it hadn't been fun. It had been a treat. People say that power corrupts, right? Novelists have absolute power. They create a world, fill it with protagonists and antagonists and supporting characters, and shape the action to their whim. If it suits them, they can hoist whatever character they want into prominence, or kill off whomever they choose. The only power higher than the novelist is the premise. (That's what James N. Frey, author of How to Write a Damn Good Novel, says.) Premise is the overlord. As long as the novelist stays true to the premise, and the characters, plot, action, paragraphs, sentences and words follow suit, the sky's the limit. Several times during the writing of this book, I felt acutely conscious of that fact. I was a god, a benevolent god, mind you, creating this world from the sun-dappled and shadow-haunted recesses of my imagination, creating characters from dust and smoke, setting them against one another, directing, shaping, sculpting, guiding. It was both a gigantic responsibility and the most overarching power trip I've ever experienced. But I have a problem. Responsibility is scary for me. It was fun, yes. It was a power trip, sure. But it was scary as hell, for reasons I mentioned before. I was mortally afraid of screwing up. Nothing terrified me more than not being able to transmit the pure, perfect concept I had in my head onto the paper. If I couldn't do that, I was certain that the result would be something flawed, laughable, mundane, amateur, even sickening. Even if it got published somehow, it would be a letdown for intelligent readers. It'd be more of a letdown for me, for being unable to bring myself to that cathartic state which writers who put down what's in their heart live for (a literary orgasm, if you will). I was worried it wouldn't come out the way I wanted it to. That made it scary. Fun and scary, like skydiving or whitewater rafting. While it's going along smoothly, you're on top of the world. If you make a mistake, the whole thing—and everything aftermight be ruined. Those were the thoughts that ran briefly through my head as I lay on my bed after typing that final word. Gradually, I cast those thoughts aside. The thing was done, for better or for worse. I'd do my best with the editing; my friends would read it and give me their feedback, as would whatever editor I lighted on in the unforeseeable future. No sense in fretting now. I sat up. Pausing only to save the file in four different locations on two different drives, I immediately trumpeted my accomplishment on Facebook. Then I closed out Microsoft Word and put on a little One Piece (and some Cat Stevens) to relax. I've done a little editing between last night and right now (it's about 5:40 p.m. Pacific Standard Time), and having given the completed work a superficial glance, I think it's holding up. I'll have to tweak it plenty: there's already things about the climax, which I wrote just the night before last, that I'm noticing need to be changed. There's some minor character issues that likely need adjusting. I'll have to double-check my research, too. But once the editing's done, I reckon I just might have a damn good novel.

12 comments:

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

Well, congratulations!

That thing about just writing it and worrying about the editing later - this is exactly what I teach my writing students. In fact, I make them write every day and don't grade it or correct it because I want them to just feel free when they write - and worry about editing later.

I'm very happy for you that your Muse came through for you that way. One time mine handed me a sestina while I was in the shower.

I've been reading Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott. (It's a book about writing in case you're not familiar.) She keeps a 1-inch picture frame on her desk to remind her to only try to write what would fit into it. She also quotes Doctorow, who apparently compared writing a novel to driving a car at night - you can only see a few feet ahead of you, but you can make the whole trip that way.

As far as transmitting the "pure, perfect concept" in your head - I always think of that line in The Hours, where Ed Harris' character says about writing, "No matter what you start out with, you always end up with so much less."

And finally, your post, with its frequent mention of fear is serendipitously linked to what's been on my mind tonight and will be the subject of my next blog: the relationship between fear and freedom, safety and freedom.

A.T. Post said...

Thank you!

Oh, good. I try to write every day, anything that I feel like doing, just to keep my hand in, but also lose the apprehension.

Wow. I probably would've left a trail of drippings all the way to the kitchen counter for a pad of paper and a pencil...not that anything apart from childishly ribald quaterns and the occasional haiku has ever occurred to me.

Bird by Bird! One of my English professors recommended that one to me. I'd forgotten it; I must add that to my list. The night-driving analogy is a good one...and comforting.

Stephen King likens the process to digging a fossil out of the ground. It's fully buried, whole and undamaged. How much of it you're able to unearth (slowly, carefully, painstakingly) is another matter. Like paleontology, there's ways of going about writing that can help you uncover as much of that fossil as possible...even though it's generally impossible to get it all out; a small percentage is still usually lost somewhere between your inarticulate imagination and your vocabulary.

Our posts seemed to be serendipitously linked fairly often. I'll keep an eye out for your next one.

How do you go about getting published, anyway?

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

You start a blog! Just kidding. No, I'm not. I've given up on the publishing game for now. I just don't have the time and energy (and money) to put into it. Anne Lamott says get an agent. That seems like a good way to go to me.

I did a Master's degree in Creative Writing, and I still haven't recovered from the pressure I felt to get published and the icky feeling it left me with.

I did write that sestina down; maybe I'll blog it one day. It's called Domestic Cosmology.

I think the thing I like about writing the best is when it takes you somewhere you didn't think to go, but you become more yourself in it, and the fossil is perfectly unearthed, almost by accident. Like you thought you were digging for something else. I guess what I mean is that sometimes you end up with so much MORE than what you started out with.

I think that's where Lamott was going with the 1-inch frame - don't plan it too much, or it can't take you where it wants you to go.

I'm very curious about your novel. Could you at least give a synopsis? Telling me it's about cowboys and samurais really only makes me more curious.

A.T. Post said...

Wow, a Master's. Creative writing, too, which was always my favorite English-related subject. Well done, that's highly intriguing. What kind of master's thesis did you do?

Domestic Cosmology, eh? Speaking of intriguing...

Yeah, I hear you there. Guess I never thought about it that way. I don't like to think of myself as a pessimist, but when it comes to what I write, I can't fathom coming out with more than I started with. Or thought I started with. Don't plan too much...okay. Difficult, as I'm hoping to turn this novel series into a concordant comic book.

Hmmm...the premise is easy to explain (the most total disasters can still lead people to second chances). The plot isn't. As simply as I can put it, two political idealists (and office drones, who are actually a reincarnated cowboy and samurai, respectively) get sucked into a worldwide time storm and spewed elsewhere on the resultant Earth, composed of a bizarre hodgepodge of the planet's past and future history. I'd tell you more, but I'm afraid of some third party coming along and stealing the idea.

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

That sounds like loads of fun, and a great comic book! Do you draw, or would someone else do the artwork?

My thesis was a book-length poem called Chamber Music For A Dive. It consisted of narrative poetry interspersed with poems about the human circulatory system, and dream sequences in italics. It follows the narrator's journey through debauchery and recklessness into marriage, motherhood, and ultimately, spiritual rebirth (yes, very autobiographical).

The poems about the circulatory system serve as symbolic representation of what's happening to the narrator. In case you were wondering.

A.T. Post said...

Yeah, it sounded fun to me to. I adore anachronisms, and pitting a gunslinger and a samurai against whatever Earth's past or future history could dish up (along with the whole host of awesome supporting characters that the two will accrue) seemed like an absolute blast. Thanks for saying so. I used to be good at drawing, but no more. Fortunately, I have a college buddy who was majored in art (wants to be an animator) who has said that he would love to try putting the visual imagery in my prose down on paper. I have to see if I can get him interested.

Chamber Music For A Dive sounds unlike anything I've ever run across before, and refreshingly new and intriguing. If it's autobiographical, that's fine: they say to write what you know, y'know. Is it published?

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

No, not published. Not even all together in one place. I had a somewhat traumatic experience finishing and defending my thesis because of an asshole committee member - long story. But it left a very sour taste in my mouth and I haven't really looked at my thesis since.

I'm sure one day I'll come back to it, and maybe even try to get it published. But I'm so much more interested in non-fiction, personal essay-type writing than poetry anyway (as far as publishing). Poetry comes to me when it wants to. I don't pursue it - it pursues me.

Mary Witzl said...

What a great post. I've just finished writing a novel too, and went through much of what you describe here. What bothers me when I write is that the plot could so easily go in so many directions. I feel as though I'm Robert Frost, but with a couple dozen roads in front of me instead of two, and if I pick the wrong one, I'll never get out of the maze. The possibilities for screwing up and picking the wrong road seem endless.

You sound like you really have written a damn good novel. I want to believe I have too. Good luck with the tweaking!

A.T. Post said...

Why, thank you for the kind words, concerning both this post and the PDGN (potentially damn-good novel). I know what you mean. Pick the wrong road and you might get lost or bogged down. It's daunting, and I never realized how daunting it was until I tried it.

Caleb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Caleb said...

You don't have to second guess yourself if you are omnipotent, right?

A.T. Post said...

Well said! There's a good chance I'll be the only one who knows if it comes out badly in the end anyway.