Wednesday, March 10, 2010

adjusting for refraction, part II

This is what I'd secretly hoped would happen all along, you know?

I'd be flying out of a quiet, run-down, pleasant sort of backwater airport filled with interesting people: savants, a few young guns like myself, wise old sages, colorful internationals, jokesters, ace pilots, acrobats, war veterans, lots of beat-up airplanes, and maybe a lethargic dog or cat.

And that's exactly what I'm doing.

Let me tell you a bit about M_____ Aviation, where my bosses rent their spare Mooney (known as 95W, or Nine-Five Whiskey). The building is a hangar, to which a couple of carpeted, fluorescently-lit rooms have been tacked on. It's just west of 18, right on the taxiway, and in the exact center of the runway; what's known as "midfield" in aviation lingo. There are about thirty or so airplanes of every description parked nearby, tied down against the omnipresent desert breeze.

Inside the hangar, three small aircraft sit in various states of dissection. The radio is always on, and the booming voices of talk show hosts carom off the metal walls and rebound through the empty space. Workbenches, carts, trolleys, and shelves, all packed with oilcans and all kinds of tools, are scattered throughout. The extra rooms comprise the office, bathrooms, and classroom of M_____ Aviation. The classroom is about the size of a dining room, and has a couple of long tables and a mismatched selection of rickety chairs. There's a whiteboard, which almost always has some basic principle of aviation demonstrated upon it in fading marker: the different kinds of airspace, accepted methods for stall recovery. The walls of the classroom are plastered with old white T-shirts and assorted bits of cloth; upon these, also in marker, have been scrawled the names of students, the dates of their first solo flights, and some encouraging remarks like "It was a piece of cake!" or "Three Perfect Landings!" Some artistic souls have also drawn pictures of their airplane coming in on Runway 18.

Light shines feebly in through the opaque glass of the windows. There's a microwave in one corner of the classroom, with an ancient Cup o' Noodles sitting on it. The tables are covered with piles of aviation magazines, textbooks, and instructional pamphlets. The computer in the opposite corner sits and whirs idly.

The main office is a long room, about thirty feet. It smells heavily of secondhand smoke. The southernmost end has a couple of soft, sagging couches, more aviation magazines, toys, mugs, headsets, and all manner of bumper stickers and license plate holders, all for sale. Aviation comics from the 1930s and photographs of F-86s and B-25s are tacked up on the stained, yellowing walls. The coffee machine next to the bathroom door is well-supplied with creamer, sugar, and Styrofoam cups—even little brown straws. On the north side of the room, toward the classroom, is the reception desk. It is impossible to discern what kind of wood it's made of, or even if it's made of wood at all. There is such an amazing pile of textbooks, documents, newspapers, paperweights, cigarette lighters and coffee cups on it that its surface is utterly obscured. The desk faces the two big glass doors and the two floor-length plate-glass windows on either side of them; but for the eucalyptus tree out in front of the office, there'd be a rather good view of Runway 18. (There are also some shrubs and a metal barbecue, filled with cigarette butts, outside.)

Just inside the glass door is another sagging couch...absurdly comfortable, conforming immediately to one's backside. To the right of the desk, as you walk in, is the classroom; to the left, there's a long, low glass counter, filled with textbooks and merchandise (and further down, bumper stickers). Payments are transacted here. Up against the east wall, where the doors are, there's a sort of shelving unit which separates the north and south sides of the room. On this shelf are tiny flight jackets (for those toddlers aspiring to be aviators) and other aviation apparel. There is also a large, smooth, two-bladed wooden propeller leaning up against this shelf, all of a piece. Pete says the propeller was carved out of a single block of wood by a local woman with a chainsaw. I don't know if that's true, but Pete has no cause to lie about it.

Ah-ha!

Now that I've finished populating this flight school with inanimate objects, I must relate to you something of its organic denizens. Enter Anna, the Dutch matron who runs the place, and Pete, the soft-spoken genius mechanic. Anna is short, thickset, and brown-haired, with twinkling brown eyes that shine out of a weather-beaten face. She smokes unashamedly and plays solitaire on the computer at light-speed. I took a liking to her almost immediately. She always has some incisive observation to make, and she knows aviation through and through. I'll bet she's forgotten more about flying than I'll ever learn.

Anna has aviation in her blood. She learned to fly in her native Holland, oh-so-many years ago, as she says. She flew in Holland, in Belgium, in Germany, and then finally came over here and started up this flight school in 1978. She's a fun person, always giving you a big hello. She pronounces her R's like W's, and her Th's like D's, but dat's all wight with me. Anna always arrives first, about ten minutes before seven, unlocking and opening the gate and starting the coffee. She makes good coffee. That's quite something, coming from me. I don't even like coffee. But hers is quite palatable.
"In Holland," she told me when I complimented her, "dey make it twice as stwong."
Oh goodie. Now I have another entry for my already monumental list of places to visit and things to do.

And then there's Pete. Pete rolls up about five minutes after Anna, in a gray Toyota stained black with tar. It looks as though a tarry monster slimed and oozed its way out of his truck bed, down the side panel and onto the ground. Anna told us it was from the work they'd done earlier re-tarring the ramp area. They'd done it themselves. It's not surprising. Pete is handy guy. He's the resident aviation mechanic, and rather proficient by all appearances.

What appearances, you ask? Well, I'll tell you.

Maybe I'm a sentimentalist, or set too much store by appearances. But regardless, there are certain visual criteria I use to determine if somebody is a quote-unquote "good" mechanic. The first thing I really noticed about Pete was his hands. For a man as short and skinny as he is, his hands are disproportionate. The fingers are large, thick, and stubby, covered with nicks and coated with the grayish vestiges of yesterday's engine oil. It's under his nails, down his cuticles, embedded in the creases of his knuckles. That spells "good mechanic" to me. I figure his fingers didn't start out thick and stubby like that. They got that way from years of poking around inside aircraft engines, nicking them on sharp metal corners, scraping them on unforgiving cylinder heads and cowlings, fumbling with nuts and rivets, tweaking, tuning and tinkering, often in freezing temperatures or other harsh conditions. The oil tells me he's not afraid to get his hands dirty, nor leave them that way for a while. Pete's all fix and no fuss, in other words. I admire men like that. I don't mind getting coated with engine oil or working on anything mechanical, but I have a set of beater clothes for that. Pete just dives right in.

The rest of him bears out that impression. The only part of Pete that ever changes is the color of his button-down shirt. The rest of him stays the same. Bespectacled, with a salt-and-pepper mustache and sideburns, flyaway brown hair poking out from beneath his cap, Pete just looks like a stereotypical aviation mechanic. He smokes as much as Anna, if not more. He's soft-spoken, and quietly whistles his consonants. He never opens his mouth wide when he's talking; and his mustache acts like a shield for his teeth and gums. But eventually I was able to determine that Pete is missing one of his front teeth. Whenever he's investigating an engine, peering under the cowling with a flashlight in his hand, Pete whistles breezily through this gap in his dentition. The knees of his jeans are eternally oil-stained. His feet fit snugly into comfortably beaten tennis shoes. He wears a plain black jacket with a pocket on the sleeve, and reaches unhesitatingly into whatever aperture or opening on an engine he can find.

That's his first and most trusted diagnostic: reach in and feel around for the trouble. As we attempted to remedy the inoperative governor yesterday, I saw Pete employ this method to great effect. He reached in and fumbled around a while, whistling airily, his arm embedded in the engine up to the shoulder. Then he pulled his hand back out. An incriminating drop of oil slid down his index finger like blood. Pete's got some funny stories to tell, too. And it's a delight to hear somebody tell him their mechanical problems. You can just see the wheels turning in Pete's head. He'll muse for a bit, and then ask a few salient questions: "What was the oil pressure doing?" or "Was it sustained at 2200 RPM?" Then he'll grab his screwdriver and head out to the hangar to do battle with the Gods of Disrepair.

Like I said, he seems to be a good mechanic.

Pete doesn't commute to the airport alone. He carpools. Zeke always comes with him. Zeke has four legs, a wet snout, amber eyes, and fur as soft and abundant as a chinchilla. He's a German shepherd cross, and Pete's constant companion. After relieving himself outside on the taxiway somewhere, Zeke comes inside and lays down in the middle of the floor, right in front of the reception desk. He barked at Mr. Mooney and me a few times, but got used to us eventually. Indeed, once he figured out I was good for free pets, I became his new best friend. Airplanes don't faze him; firing engines don't bother him in the slightest. He's a shockproof, biscuit-mad, pet-crazy old airport dog, that's all.

Scan is the name I give to M_____ Aviation's last noteworthy resident. Mr. Mooney and I were rolling 95 Whiskey back into place when I spotted a cat sitting on the asphalt just ten feet away. He was dark gray, with a black back and stripes. Pete noticed my surprise.

"Want a Cat Scan?" he asked.

"I'm sorry?" I answered shakily, not sure I'd heard him right.

"He gives Cat Scans," Pete answered, nodding at the cat, an undercut smile on his face. "He'll climb inside your engine and tell you what's wrong with it."

I, in my usual blockhead mode, still didn't understand.

"He charges 75 bucks, though," Pete went on, still smiling. "And he doesn't diagnose much apart from mice."

Finally, I caught on.

"Yeah," I grinned back. " 'Everything's good in there, man, but you've got some birds in the air intakes!' "

Both of us chuckled.

Scan doesn't really have a name so far as I'm aware. If he does, I've never heard anyone call him by it. Scan seems to suit perfectly well.

And now, before I let you go, I will tell you about refraction. As we discussed yesterday, refraction is chiefly the change in direction of a ray of light, sound, or heat, in passing obliquely from one medium to another.

I wouldn't go so far as to call myself a ray of light, but I have passed obliquely from one medium to another: unemployment to employment, stagnation to participation, earth to air. And I think I feel a change in the wind. This new job is not the paltry part-time noncommittal thing I imagined it would be. It's the real deal. There's some potential for advancement within this company. They're expanding, growing, pushing out, taking on new contracts. I'm getting some flight time in the right seat and also furthering my writing career in my off-hours. The pay is good, and there's the possibility that it may increase.

But more importantly, I'm enjoying the work. I stand to both (a) save up a lot of money, and (b) "grow as an aviator," as Mr. Mooney put it. Long story short...this might turn out to be a lengthier gig than I imagined. I think I might stick around for a year or three and see how things turn out. Who knows what'll happen? I might make great strides in obtaining my commercial pilot's license, at the very least. At most...well, I'm not given to wild speculation.

Tentatively, it's safe to say that I have been refracted. My direction has changed. I have passed from one medium to another, and ricocheted off in a new and exciting direction. I'm content to settle in for a spell and see where it takes me. If I don't to Australia or Japan this year or the next...so be it. They're not going anywhere.

But I am.


11 comments:

Smithy said...

Your best blog so far? Perhaps. If the descriptions you employ in that novel of yours are at the standard of these then you may well have a winner on your hands.
I loved it.
And congrats on the job and the 'refraction'. I too went through that process about a year ago. Feels good.

A.T. Post said...

Kamsa hamnida, Smithy. Guess I must be getting some good description practice in here. I'd better comb back through the book and make sure everything's copacetic there.

You got refracted too? Tell us about it, mate!

Smithy said...

Well, without going into too much detail...I was in a bit of a mess, emotionally fucked up, no job direction, no ambition...then something clicked towards the end of my first year in Korea and I suddenly felt like I was on the way to doing something good with my life. I still don't know what that will be...but I'm sure it will be something.

A.T. Post said...

I'm sure of that myself, mate. Glad you've found a direction.

Jane Jones said...

Ahhhhhhhh.
This just made me sigh out loud, not out of tiredness (though I am), nor sentimentality (though it could be), nor out of boredom (cause it's anything but.) but out of satisfaction.
This description of your job...of the characters populating the scene, and the scene itself was wonderful. I feel strangely connected to them, and if I passed them in the street I'm quite sure I would recognize them and say "hi, I know who you are." Way to go on bringing people to life through words.
But the part of this post I enjoyed most was the last part, about the refracting. It happens rarely, but you managed to capture this moment, this change of medium (as you said) so beautifully. It struck a chord with me, hence the satisfaction.
Also that photograph is lovely.

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

You are most certainly a ray of light, my friend.

I've been so busy lately I had to wait until I had enough time to thoroughly read your posts and savor them. It was worth the wait.

Your characterizations are amazingly good. I feel endeared to these people, even the cat.

I LOVE your refraction analogy! It resonates with me.

JennyMac said...

I love that you are greeting this new endeavor with an open mind and keen interest.

And your description of the interior of M Aviation is great. I could picture everything from the old Cup O Noodes to the rickety chairs. Well done.

And cat scan? Very humorous.

Entrepreneur Chick said...

And could you be any more amazing, Postie? Let's see... no.

A.T. Post said...

Jane: When you're satisfied, I'm satisfied. That means I'm doing my job. Thanks, as always, for the wonderfully detailed and ticklingly complimentary feedback. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh...

You sound as though you know the feeling of refraction well. It's a strange feeling, and not always overtly pleasant, but it develops and matures slowly into something grand. Or it can, if allowed.

Polly: Awww...you're too kind. I'm glad I put something savory up here. My fondest wish is that you enjoy this stuff. And perhaps take something away from it. You'd love the cat. He's big and furry and very friendly. Didn't hardly know him for two minutes before he climbed on my lap.

Refraction...yeah, that's the best analogy I could think of. It works for me, here. And in several other instances throughout my life, too.

JennyMac: Thanks for noticing that. I have to admit, I was dubious at first. But this is like the realization of a dream, and could really help me along in more ways than I realize even now. Glad you found the descriptions palatable.

Yeah, Patrick's good for puns. You should hear what he said about the, ahem, "Johnson bar"...

EC: You're going to swell my noggin, you know that, right? But thank you regardless. Right back at you.

Jerry said...

One of the General Orders of the Sentry from my old Navy days is: "To walk my post in a military manner...observing all that transpires within my site or hearing."

It is that second 'observing' part that you've developed to an astonishing level.

A.T. Post said...

Jerry: Glad to hear you say that. I appreciate it immensely. I'll keep the General Orders of the Sentry in mind. I'll bet you could tell a few stories about that, eh?