Saturday, March 6, 2010

how to name a fish

[SPECIAL NOTE: For best results, read this post while listening to "Karn Evil 9: 1st Impression, Part 2" by Emerson, Lake, and Palmer. Preferably quite loud.]

We can't all be exceptional. The word "exceptional" means "rare, unusual, or extraordinary." You can't be extraordinary without the ordinary, rare without the common, unusual without the usual.
The point is to attempt to be exceptional.
It's tricky to do in this day and age, I grant you. We've become a civilization that sympathizes with mediocrity rather than scorning it. We're content with the ordinary rather than the extraordinary. We accept banality if it'll make a little money, entertain us for a while, or both.
But you have to keep up the fight. You mustn't quit. Don't give up. Don't accept mediocrity. Expunge trendiness. Eschew popularity. Be extraordinary. Be unusual. Be weird. Get out on the fringes and dance. It doesn't take much. All it takes is the ability to think outside the box, the self-assurance to step over the ridicule, and a little imagination. That's the root cause of all this mediocrity anyway: lack of imagination. Nobody puts any thought or effort into anything anymore. That's why we have stuff like reality TV.
So put some effort into what you create. Think about it. Imagine first. Dream a little. And whatever you do, dream big. Perform those minute actions which defy conformity, banality. Undermine 'em. Knock 'em back into next week.
How, you ask? Simple.

The first step would be to NOT name your dog "Buddy."


Have you any notion of how many dogs in the history of the Universe have been named "Buddy"? Probably enough to fill up Qualcomm Stadium. Five dogs deep.
To demonstrate, my father has owned about seven English Springer Spaniels in his adult lifetime. All of them were regulation liver-and-white. And all of them were named "Buddy." I'll admit that Pop was mighty fond of that first "Buddy." But even among working men, nostalgia has its limits. I look around. I watch dog-training shows. I visit friends' houses. And I invariably encounter a pack of dogs with trite monikers. Too many Buddies. Too many Spikes. Too many Princesses, Dukes, Butches, Wolves (Wolfs?), Astros, Rovers and Zekes. It's only the blue-ribbon competitions where unique dog names really get to shine. Unfortunately, hardly any of us can name our mutts "McBryde's Big Bottle of Irish Sunshine" or "Her Ladyship's Southern Tuscany Escapade." My opinion of people would be greatly heightened, however, if they'd get out there and dream up some new and better dog names. And when I say "new and better" I'm not talking about inventing new ones, like "Kronor" or "Thaksoonf" or "Margagchstha." I'm sure that you think you're being creative way down deep inside, but the rest of us think you're a flake of granola. Or worse, a Trekkie.

I merely mean to suggest that you employ "unusual" appellations to your pets. Names that are familiar and pronounceable, but uncommonly seen. Names found in a neglected corner of the Name Universe, if you will.


Me, I'm gonna name my dog "Remington."
"Remy" for short. (That's so he doesn't break the ironclad Two-Syllable-Maximum Rule of Canine Appellations.) Yeah, Remington. That's if he's a German shepherd or some other large working breed. A border collie might sustain the name "Winchester" better (Winch for short). If he's a basset hound—which is a distinct possibility—I reckon "Browning" would be fitting.

Now, if I have two dogs, my choices become somewhat more limited, but not completely. "Smith" and "Wesson" would be good names for a couple of beagles (Ruger if there's just the one). Be they a pair of elkhounds, perhaps "Heckler" and "Koch" would suit. Any set of otterhounds or collies could merit the labels of "Parker" and "Hale."
"Mossberg" would do for a Alaskan malamute. A husky, though, would have to be "Colt." Martin, Grumman, Curtiss, Lockheed, Boeing, Northrop, Vultee, Vought, Gloster, Blackburn, Hawker, and Bristol might be pretty good dog names too.

Concerning the cats.
.. I'm not a cat guy. At least, I never used to be. That was before Mom went and picked up the cutest darn little gray tabby kitten from the pound a few years ago. Now he's the cutest darn gray tabby cat you'll ever see. I mean, everything: nice and sleek, soft fur, big green eyes, black lips, white paws, and what's more, he's useful. Archie actually works for his keep, too. Any kangaroo rat or finch that strays inside the garage—or within eight inches of the garage door—is destined for a hideous death. By the next morning they've been reduced to severed tails, a few forlorn feathers, and one distasteful internal organ, piled neatly on the garage door rug in humble sacrifice. But even beyond that, Archie's nice. Always runs up to you, meows gently, rubs up against your leg. The only payment he demands is a good scratchin'.
So maybe two dogs and two or three cats would do the trick. But what to name the cats? What's original anymore? "Muffin" has been used way, way too much. And it's a stereotypical cat-lady name anyhow. Paws, Mitsy, Fluffy, Boots (first name Puss-in), and Pooty-pie are all cliché.
I shall dub the first cat Igor, after Igor Sikorsky, the inventor of the practical helicopter. I shall label the second J.R., after J.R. Oppenheimer, the inventor of the practical atomic bomb. I shall christen the third Maurice, after Maurice Vermersch, the inventor of the practical Belgian waffle. Or maybe I'll call him the Lorax. He speaks for the trees. Oh wait, that's taken. Shazbot.

What does that leave? Birds? Nah, I'll pass. My brother had a cockatiel in high school named Oliver. I taught him to speak. I always used to greet him when I came in the door: "Hey, bird!" Soon, Oliver had copied my inflection and even some of my enunciation, almost perfectly. There was just one problem. He doubled the volume. Tripled it sometimes.
"Hey, bird!" I'd say. "HEY, BIRD!" Oliver would scream. That got old REAL fast. So did Oliver's habit of shrieking whenever his beloved master was out of sight. And humping my socks.

Snakes? Nah. Snakes have no love. They can't look into your eyes with that simple, unconditional adulation that dogs have mastered. They can't shake your hand, either.
Rats? Maybe. Trouble is, the name "Templeton" is already taken, too. Tarantulas? Hmmm. Cute? Check. Fuzzy? Check. Interesting? Indeed. Vivifying to be around? Not really. This being California, I'm not allowed to have hedgehogs or ferrets. More's the pity.
So that pretty much leaves fish. The tradition in my family has always been to give the fish a name that's longer than the fish itself. My first was named "Wakefield." There followed a kingly line, a royal succession of icthyoid sovereignty. All were assassinated by my brother's fish. (He gave them the plague.) I can't remember any of their names, except for Mergatroid. I miss Mergatroid. He was cool.

I reckon there's only one way I can go as far as fish names are concerned.
If I have one fish, I'll call him Jethro Tull. If I have two fish, I'll call 'em Simon and Garfunkel. If I have three fish, I'll call them— (Oh, surely you know what's coming, don't you?) —Emerson, Lake, and Palmer.

Joke's on you, pal.

29 comments:

Rachel said...

I've never been one for ordinary pet names either. My current cat was named Krazee Eyez Killa, but lately I've been calling him Yoshi.

We also have two goldfish that my daughter named...one is called Mr. Candy and the other is Smiles.

Bretthead said...

Lots of gun references there in the dog names. I had a beta fish named Sake. I had to get a cleaning fish to keep the tank neater and named her Alice (after the maid). But one day Sake took a bite out of Alice. She survived, but lost an eye. So I changed her name to Left Eye Lisa.

Murr Brewster said...

I once had a dog named Action. When my newt (Rockne) disappeared from his terrarium, we figured he was missing in Action.

I can't remember who it was, but someone famous once named his three kittens Shirley, Goodness and Mercy because they followed him all the days of his life.

Anonymous said...

I'm laughing so hard I can barely type! I LOVE Shirley, Goodness and Mercy. Oh how I wish I had thought of that.

Our pets have always had unusual names. We had a cat named Fiona, one named Jolie, and currently we have a cat named Korinth and one named Tegan Rayne (my daughter's idea). Our dog is named Camille. We once had a dog we named Tucker but he made me so mad I was always tempted to call him something that sounded just like it. My parents had a dog they named Snert. I guess he was named after a dog in some comic strip (Hagar the Horrible?). And they had a dog name PITA (PAIN IN THE A$$). Yup, it takes all kinds to make the world go round.

Smithy said...

We've just rescued a dog and called it King Charles III

Olivia J. Herrell, writing as O.J. Barré said...

I have a cat named Bugsy. I have to admit that was his third or fourth name, none of the previous were quite fitting and never stuck. The pound named him Linus, which changed to Adonis, then there was some other name I forget. The night he began attacking our feet in bed he became Bugsy. He's a little bugger, so it stuck.

He also looks very much like a rabbit so the Bugs moniker fits. Depending on the day, his behavior and/or my mood, he goes by Bughead, BugaDug, Bug Monster, Bugnacious, Sir Bugsalot, the Bugazoid, Bugs-eenee, Bo, Boo, the Bugmeister, Knucklehead, Bugs, and sometimes little sh*thead. Oops.

BTW, P, school was no more awful for me than the next kid...and doesn't it all get us to where we're going?

Sou said...

I don't do pets. Sorry for being such a complete fun-sponge, but I have an irrational fear of all animals...

I DID however -L O V E- the way you started this post.

"We can't all be exceptional. The word "exceptional" means "rare, unusual, or extraordinary." You can't be extraordinary without the ordinary, rare without the common, unusual without the usual.

The point is to attempt to be exceptional. "

Postman, as I read that, the sun was shining, the birds were singing and the clouds were parting. It's a lovely day, and this post has made it that much better.

Tess Kincaid said...

We once had a cockatiel named "Bird".

Mary Witzl said...

A friend in Scotland has a cat called Tiddles and another called Muffy. She couldn't get over that we didn't call our white cat 'Snowball'.

We've named our cats and dogs all sort of things. For cats, Dagmar, Marcus, Zingo, Zonker, Stella, etc. Our dogs had rodent-like faces; we named them Mighty Mouse and Minnie Mouse. Not very creative, but they really looked the part. Kronor would be a great name for a dog, though!

The kitten we've got now has a bad habit of peeing in people's shoes. My daughter calls her Piss in Boots.

A.T. Post said...

Rachel: "Krazee Eyez Killa"? Love it, love it, love it. Yoshi is even better, though. Gets that Mario reference in there.

Was Mr. Candy saved from a frat house initiation or something? What a name! Smiles...now there's a highly underrated name. Don't see it too much anymore. Well done, madam, you get 10/10.

A.T. Post said...

Wow, that was awkward: Good man. I was hoping somebody would get something out of the gun references. My dad's a gunsmith, so by association I've become rather familiar with the major manufacturers. I wouldn't say no to naming one of my cats "Benelli" either.

"Alice" becomes "Left Eye Lisa." Man, you are too much. Well done, sir. That's the stuff. If you get another fish and Alice is still around, name it Marsha.

A.T. Post said...

Murr: Missing in Action?! HA! Brilliant! Action and Rockne are perfect. They're pronounceable, familiar, but rare. And as good as those are, they don't even come CLOSE to Shirley, Goodness and Mercy. Reminds me of the movie "Airplane!" for some reason...

A.T. Post said...

propinquity: Splendid work! Those names are all gold. Your "PITA" and "Tucker" (or, um, whatever you called him) remind me of "That Darn Cat"...an old movie with Hayley Mills. The Siamese cat who stars in it is named "That D&@# Cat" but they call him "D.C." for short.

Snert's Hagar the Horrible's sidekick, and an awesome fellow. What great names! Classic comics, rare surnames, melodious female names ("Fiona, Jolie, Camille")...you folks need fear no triteness. Way to go.

A.T. Post said...

Smithy: GENIUS. Now that's a perfect name, in my opinion. Humorously lengthy; historically significant; and can be easily shortened if need be. Hell, you could call him "King" for short. Or "Chuck." Or "Number Three," even.

Does he ACT like Charles the Third? How did you arrive at that moniker?

A.T. Post said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
A.T. Post said...

Ms. Herrell: "Sir Bugsalot" and "Knucklehead" are my favorites. (Every one of our dogs has been labeled "Knucklehead" by Dad at some point.) "Bugsy" is splendid. Evokes images of good old-time gangster movies and (as you've demonstrated) is endlessly modifiable.

I suppose school does get us where we're going...albeit more or less painfully...glad to hear you weren't dragged down into the abyss.

A.T. Post said...

Mashlip: "Fun-sponge"...you make me smile. You'd have to do a lot worse than THAT.

Have I mentioned how grateful I am that you tell me such complimentary things, Mashlip? Thanks a million. I'm very glad you enjoy what I write.

"...the sun was shining, the birds were singing and the clouds were parting. It's a lovely day..."

You and I like a lot of the same things. I'm glad I made your good day better. And thanks ever so for letting me know. Enjoy the sunshine and the birds, friend.

A.T. Post said...

willow: Nice. Simple, straightforward. Reminds me of John Wayne's dog (named "Dog") in "True Grit."

A.T. Post said...

Mrs. Witzl: Hmmm...your friend is one of my prime suspects. No offense to her ("Tiddles" is a harmonic and fun name). They're her pets, after all. But she might step back and break the mold once in a while.

Like "Dagmar," "Zingo," and "Zonker." Absolutely fabulous. Not to mention Piss in Boots. I've got a mile-wide grin on my face now after reading that. Your family is so full of character and intelligence and humor. My compliments to you and them for that, and your spotless record of animal names.

"Mighty Mouse" and "Minnie Mouse," indeed!

A.T. Post said...

Everybody: I suppose it would behoove me to tell you here and now about OUR animal names, which I didn't do above for reasons of modesty and humility. (Yeah, right; I forgot.)

My dog (a German shepherd/Chow Chow mix) I named "Harriet." No, no, not from the lady in "So I Married an Axe Murderer." She's just a very hairy dog. Seriously, the undercoat she sheds every summer is enough to stuff a mattress. I only wish I could've taken her to Alaska before she got to be eleven years old; she would've made the Iditarod, easy. I was going to call her "Cleo" after Cleopatra, because she has these linear markings around her eyes that look like Egyptian makeup, but I didn't.

Mom's eight-month-old German Shepherd/Malinois cross is named "Dash" after Dashiell Hammett, author of "The Maltese Falcon."

Our two cats (an enormously fat orange tabby and an affectionate, skinny gray tabby) are named Sandy and Archie, respectively. But we don't call 'em that. Do to their body shapes we tend to call them "Fat Man" and "Little Boy" after the two atomic bombs dropped on Japan at the end of World War II.

We don't have fish or birds anymore, but I used to have rabbits. I named the first "Butterscotch" (after the color of his fur) and the second "Jane Doe." (Get it? She's a female rabbit, right? A doe! Jane Doe? Get it? Haw haw!
Well, I thought it was funny.)

We had horses for the longest time, Mustangs we'd purchased from the Bureau of Land Management at Ridgecrest. Mom's was "Lady," short for "Shady Lady" (she was very dark brown, almost black). My brother's neurotic stallion was named "Ace." After we sold Ace for being too crazy and euthanized Lady for being too old, we got another brown horse with a white stripe on his nose, which Dad named Butch. When we picked up a yearling a short time later (a grulla, a gray roan with a beautiful black mane and tail) we just had to name him "Sundance." Butch and Sundance, you see?

Jane Jones said...

Oh, I love animals. We have a dog (Molly) and a cat (Minou) which aren't terribly original, but we call them "Pig Dog" and "pig Cat" because they eat anything, from Kleenex and library books, to tulips and lemons. Nothing is safe. But it's still terribly hilarious sometimes.
If I didn't live in the city, I would definitely love to have a horse.It's so...wild.
And I laughed hard at this naming business post.
(excuse me if I'm not making too much sense. I have a very full brain at the moment.)

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

I currently have a cat named Sergeant Pepper. We really should have called him Robert DeNiro though, because he's got DeNiro's nose.

I once had two red-eared sliders named Fagan and Hedril. I asked them what their names were, and that's what they told me.

I must respectfully disagree with you on one point: I think we ARE all exceptional, in our own unique ways, and that it's when we TRY to be that things go amuck. It's recognizing and nurturing how we already are exceptional that works. This may just be a semantic misunderstanding of what you're saying, but I felt compelled to address this.

Joan Crawford said...

Ha! Entertaining post...Post...man. We were actually going to name our dog Remy. Oooweeeoooo, spooky!

A.T. Post said...

Jane: What's so unoriginal about those names? My mom's old Belgian sheepdog was named Molly, too.

YOUR PETS EAT KLEENEX AND LEMONS?!?! What the--?

Horses are a lot of work, but there is that ineffable touch of the wild in their demeanor. I think you should get one later on if you have the space. Looks like the beginning of a beeea-utiful friendship.

Thank you for laughing. And thank you for not making sense. I hate it when people make sense. Makes me feel left out.

Polly: Finally! Someone disagrees with me! I was beginning to think that would never happen. How refreshing. I like "Sergeant Pepper" a lot more than "Robert DeNiro."

"Fagan" and "Hendril." Heroic, that's what those names are. Those two (lizards, right?) must have been Viking berserkers in their past lives.

I don't know...I've met some pretty dull people in my lifetime. Chronically unexceptional. Chronically mundane. Chronically unintelligent. They need to get out there, try some different things, learn some new stuff, expand and contract a few times.

You're right in the sense that TRYING to be exceptional can be done wrongly, or overdone. But when it comes to naming pets, it's a conscious choice between something trite (like "Rex") and putting the extra thought into it and coming up with something unique. See what I mean?

Excellent point, thank you. Let that be a lesson to the rest of you. You need to disagree with me more. We could have some excellent debates.

Joan: SPOOKY!

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

Not lizards, turtles. The coolest creatures on earth, as far as I'm concerned. I could watch them all day.

Yes, I get what you're saying about pet names, definitely. I forgot to mention that Sergeant Pepper actually had a second name - Captain Morgan.

Emma named him Sgt. Pepper, and for some reason, I kept accidentally calling him Captain Morgan. Then we moved to Taos and met the REAL Captain Morgan: his evil twin-cat that kept lurking around our house trying to get inside.

A.T. Post said...

Turtles! Ah, my mistake. They ARE highly underrated, and eminently watchable.

Captain Morgan! What a great name for a cat! Especially an evil lurking twin-cat! He kept trying to get in, huh?

Speaking of Taos, there was an article in the latest Travel & Leisure section of my newspaper concerning "little-known vacation getaways" and guess what was on the list?

Taos. Some of the best scenery and ice cream anywhere, they say. And the Taos Hum.

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

You know, I've never actually had the ice cream here? Now it'll be on my list of things to do this summer. If it ever warms up.

I've known people who can't stand Taos because the hum gives them a headache. I've never noticed it, personally.

Taos isn't "little known" to Texans - there are more of them than New Mexicans here during ski season!

A.T. Post said...

What's your poison? I mean, uh, which flavor of ice cream do you prefer?

If I didn't want to go to Taos before (and I most assuredly did, even after reading the very first post of yours about the place), I sure do now. I wanna see if I can hear the hum!

Is that so? Texans, eh? No good ski slopes in Texas, I guess.

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

I'm actually (cough) not that fond of ice cream. Don't shoot me. It's too cold. Give me a good mousse any day. But if I had a gun to my head and had to choose, I'd go with praline pecan. Especially with a warm piece of homemade pumpkin pie (made with fresh pumpkin, of course.)

I'd be making myself hungry right now if I wasn't already eating a piece of fresh-out-of-the-oven home-baked bread with oodles of butter right now.