Saturday, March 20, 2010

random travel destinations - Australia

I keep banging on in this blog about Australia, but I've never actually sat down and figured out what I want to see. What better place to do that than here?

U
nfortunately, the list is far too long. There's planes and trains and automobiles I'd like to ride; sun-washed beaches I need to vegetate on; deserts I need to cross (praying "there but for the grace of Burke and Wells go I"); some sparkling, dancing waterfalls I need to stand under; at least 32 towns I'd like to get drunk in; and, as long as the locals aren't looking, a few kangaroos to box here and there. And Tasmania.

M
aybe I could even get work on a regional airline down there, huh? Or as a bartender in Sydney?

Hmmmmm...


Oh yes! And there's the Blue Mountains to climb. If that's legal. If it isn't I just might have to sit in the Jamison Valley with a hangdog expression, until the locals have mercy and petition the government to change the law. It might work.

4 comments:

David J. M. Samson said...

So when you coming down under mate?

There is so much I want to see and do here, but so far been setting roots and getting acclimatized.

I also hope to finally ge a car next week, so I will be able to do some more exploring of South Australia. I might go interstate in September too.

A.T. Post said...

Don't know. With this new job it might be another year or two, now. But soon. It's high on the priorities list.

Yeah, I suppose transplanting yourself between continents takes a bit of adjustment, especially if you're in it for the long haul. You just got your driver's license, correct? And now a car and some exploring. Wicked cool. Keep us posted.

David J. M. Samson said...

I had my UK licence, and could drive on that, but just got my Aussie licence. It's a step closer to Oz being my home.

I hope you do make it over, Oz has something for everyone.

Claire Dawn said...

I went in December. I honestly didn't do much. My step grandmother and uncle live there, so I spent my time hanging out in Perht and Dunsborough, WA. It's beautiful though.

I think getting a job sounds like a great idea. There is a special exchange you can join to be able to work in AU. It's way too big to be able to see everything without livign there.