Thursday, March 18, 2010

hello, spring...nice to smell you

When people start honking about spring, they usually honk about the same things: how nice and green everything gets, or how blue the sky is, or how prettily the birds are twittering, or how warm the air's getting, or how lovely the flowers smell. Come on, people. Those are obvious. They're nothing that every other human being on Starship Earth hasn't honked about every spring for the last five thousand years. I think these folks are taking a bit for granted. How about a little appreciation for being able to smell again, period?

I love winter, make no mistake. I like snow. It's great for hiding from one's enemies. I like ice. Nothing like a little Cha-Cha Slide down the sidewalk. But more than all that, I like cold. I've never been able to stand hot weather. Dry heat's bad enough, but moist heat? Gag me. Better yet, drown me. At least I'll die quickly from total immersion rather than being slowly suffocated. With cold (or even cool) weather, I can do whatever the heck I like and not break a sweat. Nothing beats a bad mood, a hangover, or writer's block like stepping outside and receiving an icy blast of air in your face.

I'm serious. Try it sometime if you don't believe me.

There's just one thing I dislike about winter, though. It's the sterility of the air. The lack of smells bothers me. I hate stepping outside, taking a sniff, and having my boogers freeze. No, no, I don't mind that, on second thought. Frozen boogers I can handle. What I mind is not being able to smell anything. No flowers, no grass, no trees, not even the dirt. It gets to me after a while. Oh, coming in out of the cold and wet and getting a hit of roast turkey or pumpkin pie is great. But there's just no substitute the smell of grass on a spring day.

I walked out of the airport with Spud last week right after the landscaper got done mowing the median in the parking lot. A big ol' whiff of cut grass smacked me right in the kisser. And man, it was glorious. Fairly shouted that springtime was here. Nothing beats going out on a walk in March and smelling the dirt. Winter didn't hit us too hard down on Geoje Island in South Korea, but things still froze up pretty well. But when springtime rolled around, and the sun came out, and the ground thawed, and you could smell the dirt again... It's hard to beat that wet-dirt smell. It's just as much a part of spring as daffodils and cherry blossoms, if not more. A nice noseful of that will brighten anybody's day.

I live in the desert, as you know. Grass is scanty around here. Greenery of any kind is. The appearance of spring isn't so much a literal "appearance"; it's a gradual lengthening of the days, a warming of the atmosphere, and a marginal revamping of the local smells and scents. So perhaps I'm more sensitive to smells than most. I knew it was spring when I stepped outside yesterday in the predawn twilight and smelled the desert (without it having rained first). I smelled sand. I smelled rock. I smelled plants. I smelled houses and people. It wasn't quite as divine as, say, someplace more fertile like Tennessee or South Korea. But it smelled pretty dang good, after the sterility of winter. I took a deep breath and said to myself, "Okay, I guess I'm ready for spring after all."

Welcome back, spring. My nose missed you.

9 comments:

David J. M. Samson said...

I know what you mean about things smelling differently in winter.

I am from the UK and live in Oz. Everything smells different here.

Seasons here are the opposite of the rest of the world, so we are heading for winter.

I like the smells of winter. I like that the smells aren't cluttered, or "dirty".

I guess I miss the smells of Scotland. But that means I will just have to go visit soon. Which will be lovely.

Anonymous said...

The smell of spring is definitely the best part of spring.

I love how you write. Have I mentioned that lately?

Olivia J. Herrell, writing as O.J. Barré said...

Ah, the smell of spring. Yes, definitely. Another one I love is the smell of damp leaves after a spring rain...

A.T. Post said...

Star Child: That must've been a switch, huh? Hemispheres, climate zones, the works. I keep forgetting Oz is on a different seasonal spin than we are up here. I know what you mean about cluttered and "dirty" smells in summer; that's Los Angeles all over. Even up here it can get like that, too much car exhaust and garbage and sweat. Scotland, I'll bet you, NEVER has smells like that. Probably a clean, fresh place, especially after a good rain...?

When do you plan on going back to visit?

propinquity: I'm turning red, honest. Thank you. I won't object to you mentioning that again...[grin]

Rebel: There's not a whole lot that doesn't smell better after a rain (well, except horse apples). Wet desert is very nice too. There's nothing else quite like it.

Jane Jones said...

I love smells. I can completely understand about the "winter sterility", as you say...when it hits -40 here, even -10, you don't smell anything.
We had an early start to the spring melt this year, and the fast dissolving 3 feet of snow is leaving behind "snow mold", a fungus that covers the grass and looks like cob-webs. It will disappear once it gets warmer, but right now it smells like must and mold and makes people sneeze.
But the first time someone brought in tulips to my cafe a few weeks ago, I buried my nose in them. They didn't smell like much, but they did smell green and alive and absolutely wonderful. I miss using my nose during the winter. So I can relate. Great post, by the way. I love reading your stuff.

A.T. Post said...

Jane: "Snow mold"? Holy cow. I've never lived anywhere that got anything like that. Sounds dismal.

Do you own a cafe? And who brought in tulips?

That's it exactly. "Green and alive and absolutely wonderful." You've described it perfectly.

Thank you. I love that you love reading my stuff. I love reading your stuff, too. Have I told you that?

Lola Sharp said...

Frozen boogers...is that a cocktail?

I actually like all the seasons, but once Feb. hits I am SO over winter, but naturally, that is the worst month here. I never feel that way at the end of the other seasons.

Happy Weekend!

David J. M. Samson said...

Hey Postman,

Yeah, in the cities in Scotland it can get like that, all fumes and sweat. But most of Scotland is still rural and semi-rural, and the air is sooo clean!

I might visit next year, once we are more settled.

A.T. Post said...

So help me, Lola, I am going to INVENT a cocktail named "Frozen Boogers."

Blurgh. February is just kind of blah all around. Not as magical as December nor as snowy and fresh as January. Good point.

Star Child: You'll have to tell us all about that visit. Whereabouts did you live?