Saturday, March 20, 2010

cocktail review no. 34 - Cherry Chocolate Swirl

TA-DA!

This one's another of my very own inventions. I make no claims as to its originality. The odds are that there's a drink out there exactly like it, which someone else invented, and called by a different name. Who cares? This is my version. And it was a hit, let me tell you. There was this cute little blond at my cocktail party the other Friday who absolutely loved it...

  • 1 ounce cherry brandy
  • 1 ounce Bailey's
  • ½ ounce crème de cacao
In a shaker half-filled with ice cubes, combine the cherry brandy and Bailey's. Shake well. Strain into a cocktail glass. Pour the crème de cacao into the center of the drink and swirl the glass around a little before serving.

I didn't get a chance to taste it myself. (I couldn't drink that night, not even a drop; I had work in the morning. That's also the reason I haven't yet had a nip of the fancy absinthe John and I bought. I might cry.) However, the drink received rave reviews—particularly from that blond.

What's not to like? It's cherry brandy, Irish cream and chocolate liqueur, the best combination of cherry, chocolate and coffee-cream overtones. It'd be like a cherry Fudgsicle, only in liquid form. And with booze. Give it a shot, ladies. It's worth your while.

12 comments:

A.T. Post said...

If anyone one would like to suggest a better name for this drink (something that doesn't sound like a flavor of ice cream) you're welcome to. Throw some suggestions at me, people.

Murr Brewster said...

Oh yah, baby. Just add four hours and you can call it Acid Reflux.

Mia Hayson said...

Gah, I got nothing. Sorry. I kind of like the fact it sound like an ice-cream, makes me more likely to drink it...:P

Also, there exist'eth an award on my blog for you cause I can :~) Enjoys

Mary Witzl said...

Sounds like this one is more worth the menfolks' while to make, given that the ladies seem to like it!

I'd be tempted to call it a chocolate smothered cherry.

A.T. Post said...

Murr: Ah...point taken. My lactose-intolerant friends probably wouldn't get along with it, either.

Mia: I'll take that under consideration! Ice cream flavor-name sounds appetizing.

Thank you so much for the award! And so soon! I'm quite honored.

Mrs. Witzl: Quite so, quite so. Seems to be a guaranteed "oh-you're-such-a-great-bartender" drink.

"Chocolate-smothered cherry."

I like it. Kind of a sultry ring to it.

Entrepreneur Chick said...

Can we add some Nyquil to that, Postie?

Remember those cookies I made? The chocolate cherry ones? Wouldn't this drink go well with that, or do you think that would be too much chocolate cherry?

Naw. You can never have too much chocolate or too much cherry.

Miss you. Seeing you today really cheered me up. Thanks. xxoo

Laura said...

I am officially drooling! Definitely going to try out this one - thank you for sharing it. I love Bailey's and all the other ingredients are among my very favorites.

I'd call it "The Big O". lol!

dolorah said...

Uhm, sounds delicious. I'll have to give it a try. What's wrong with sounding like an ice cream flavor?

.......dhole

A.T. Post said...

Nyquil might go down quite well in that, EC. Although I can suggest a few other things if you want a nightly knockout punch...

I do remember those cookies! And as you say, you can never have too much cherry chocolate (well, except in Three Musketeers bars). A glass of milk as a "water back" would work well.

I miss you a lot. Glad I cheered you up. Hugs and kisses, friend. Get well soon.

Laura: Ain't Bailey's the shizz? I can't believe I went 23 years without sampling it.

DH: An excellent point! What's wrong with an ice-cream flavor name? 'Course, that makes my naming decision a million times harder...thanks a heap. (Wink, wink.)

Jon Paul said...

Postie--sounds great! Might be something to try for my wife's birthday coming up.

As for names, the flavor sounds like a cherry cordial to me. Maybe a play off something like that?

BTW, there's something at my place for you--a thanks for all your hard work.

Lola Sharp said...

Sounds yummy. I likes me the sweet tasty cocktails. I'm girly about my libations.

I like the name. It sounds tasty.

A.T. Post said...

JP: "Cherry cordial"; sounds like a worthy suggestion. Let me know what the wife thinks of the drink, if you make it.

Thanks a billion for the award, good sir! You flatter me. I appreciate it.

Lola: Good to know. "Sounds tasty." Thanks for the feedback. Try it sometime and let me know what you think...