Wednesday, April 7, 2010

cocktail review no. 35 - Joumbaba

What do you get when you combine tequila, grapefruit juice, and tonic water? Give up? Why, a Joumbaba, of course.

  • 1½ ounces tequila
  • 2 ounces grapefruit juice
  • 3 ounces tonic water
Pour all of the ingredients into a highball glass almost filled with ice cubes. Stir well.

Don't ask me the origin of the name. I've been going batshit trying to find out something about it. I've tried everything: Google, Wikipedia, Reference.com, DrinksMixer, Chow, and the rest. No dice. Even the
Encyclopedia Britannica came up with a blank. Sure, it could tell me the year Max Planck won the Nobel Prize, and Donkey Kong's job description, but the word 'joumbaba' didn't return a single result. I can only assume it's some kind of bastardized West African word, possibly originating in Jamaica or Haiti or another island that used to belong to the Indians before the Spanish and English came along and populated it with black people who talk funny.


I've never really encountered a drink like the Joumbaba. It's not technically a tropical cocktail
no pineapple juicebut take a sip and you'll feel an overmastering urge to go sit on the back porch on a warm, sunny evening with a Hawaiian shirt on. It has a funny name and an eclectic mix of ingredientsbut only three ingredients. Based on the recipe, one might expect this drink to taste like bug juicebut it doesn't. In fact, it's dang good. You can detect the tequila, for starters. More than detect, for the agave takes the edge off the otherwise overwhelmingly sour tang of the grapefruit. If you don't care for either tequila or grapefruit juice, you must put 'em together. They balance each other out. And then, as you mull over the blend of citrus and cactus, the tonic comes from behind. With a pleasant fizz and a quinine bass riff, it polishes off the whole deal.

My best advice to you? Grab some tortilla chips and spicy salsa, put some Jimmy Buffett on the stereo, prostrate yourself in a hammock, and knock this cocktail back. And make it a double, it's an easy sip.

ADDENDUM: I would like you to take a moment to consider the accompanying image. You may be asking yourself: "Why did he include a picture of the Green Hornet on a cocktail review regarding a tequila drink?" Well, I'll tell you. I was combing through my flashcards from bartender's school the other day and I discovered something interesting. You remember cocktail review no. 32? Stingers? You remember how I said I used green crème de menthe instead of white when I mixed one up? Well, as it happens, if you use green crème de menthe in a stinger, it ain't a stinger no more. Technically, it's a Green Hornet. Oh well. I'll know better next time. The cocktail universe is filled with such idiosyncrasies. The removal, addition, or substitution of one single ingredient—even the garnish—changes the entire drink, including its moniker. Example: What's the difference between a rum-and-Coke and a Cuba Libre? Answer: The lime squeeze. A rum-and-Coke doesn't have one; a Cuba Libre does. Stingers and Green Hornets differ not a whit in flavor or ingredients; only in color. Who'd a' thunk it?



7 comments:

Claire Dawn said...

Joumbaba definitely sounds like French African. I looked it up on some french sites as "djoumbaba" and I had a couple of hits. But it seems to be dialect so it's not in the dictionnary. If I find anything more , I'll let you know.

dolorah said...

I was a cocktail waitress for 12 years (on and off) and the one thing I learned about the bar business is you can make anything up.

Some mixes just go naturally together.

That's a lot of ounces in a highball with ice. Ice? Sounds like something that should be shaken, then poured in a martini or shot glass. Joumbaba; up. But you know; every bar - or bartender - has a specialty.

Wait; I have to go proportoion this - with water, of course. Cause I don't have anything but wine in the house. But, I have the glasses . .

Ok, either I haven't fully unpacked yet (a possibility, though its been about 8 months) or my adult kids have found my stash before me. No no, don't speculate! I don't want to know.

You should perfect something that is uniquely yours; or at least has a cool name for an old favorite. When I found out what was really in a Cosmopolitan; I about died laughing. And a Cuba Libre; don't get me started. Seriously, who would put a lime in Rum?

I have a refined taste: Myers Rum and Diet Pepsi (not coke).

I'm not a tequila fan though. Luckily, we're blogging, or my oakie accent would be showing. I've never pronounced the liquor correctly. Tikilla. But spilling it on my hands was enough to make me sick at the end of the evening.

Which made me a cute coctail waitress; when I was like 12.

But Jimmy Buffet and the hammock; I can definitely see myself in with a Watermelon. (amereto, soco, cran and a splash of pineapple. In a chimney, of course.) Nobody but The Depot (in my home town) has ever heard of it; but it's the most delicious drink this juice wimp has ever had.

Yeah baby; I'm up for the Green Hornet though.

This is a Friday post, Dude. I mean; I need to go out now.

........dhole

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

I'm sorry, but this sounds awful.

I'm not a huge fan of tequila (I prefer vodka in my margeritas. I know, I know - shoot me.) And I'm DEFINITELY not a fan of grapefruit juice. Blesch!

I like the name though.

Mia Hayson said...

You are educating me sooo much. I don't like grapefruit juice but this sounds goooood.

I feel so ignorant about cocktails but gradually you're helping me change that. :~D

A.T. Post said...

Claire: I never thought of spelling it that way! That was probably its original Romanization. I'll do some more digging. I'd appreciate the help.

DH: Yeah, I need to make up a weird story about a French African slave and a reprobate Spanish-Mexican who got together one night over a bottle of Jamaican rum, and invented this drink.

I don't know - the ice makes this drink rather cool without too much bruising. Shaking bruises things a bit much unless you're careful. I might try it up next time and get back to you, though.

I PUT LIMES IN RUM, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Still need to try a Myer's and Coke, then. Heard nothing but good things about it. And I have invented a few drinks on this blog...I have yet to craft a masterpiece, however.

I've heard of a watermelon! That's a California shot, all the way. Didn't know it had pineapple in it, though. Our recipe's a bit different.

Yer right, I should've put this down for Friday. I'll make a note of that next time. I've got some GOOD reviews comin' up...stay tuned. And thanks for stopping by.

Polly? Please tell me you're joking. Vodka? In a MARGARITA?!?! That's even worse than a vodka martini! Well, no, I take it back, it isn't. Margaritas are one of those anything-goes drinks. People oughta make 'em the way they like 'em, that's the point. I'm just an uptight purist, that's all.

But still, you should at least TRY a joumbaba before you judge. It's almost as fun to say as it is to drink.

Mia: That's the idea! Eddi-cation. I don't like grapefruit juice AT ALL, and I liked this. I'm glad I have the opportunity to fill you in about a few good cocktails; there's a whole universe of 'em out there. Thanks for commenting.

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

Okay, Postie. If you come to Taos and make me one, I'll try it.

I know you don't like vodka, but it has become my favorite mixer. It's so neutral and, well, pure. (*ducks and covers*)

Verification word: suquarro - now THERE'S a cocktail that needs to be invented!

A.T. Post said...

You got it. You won't regret it. Otherwise I'd tell you not to bother with it.

Don't duck and cover! Vodka has its uses. I'm not going to bite your head off. It's probably the best mixer there is, seeing as it absorbs all the other flavors.

suquarro: Aw, that's just BEGGING to be made into a drink. Definitely something tequila-related, too. Thanks for the heads-up.