Wednesday, April 21, 2010

an F-bomb in K-Land

So, says the storyteller, sitting in a chair by the fireside, a whiskey sour in his hand, did I ever tell you about the time I accidentally dropped the F-bomb in front of my students?

It was 2008. I was 22 years old, and teaching English under contract in South Korea.

Now, as much as I try to deny it, I'm rather sensitive about my image. Not in regards to my appearance or personality, oh no. Knock on my door any given day and I'm liable to greet you in a pair of stained cargo pants and a ratty old T-shirt with a stretched collar. The hand I'll extend for you to shake will likely be the one I was picking my nose with five minutes earlier. Spending time with me is a crash-course in sexual innuendo, judgmental commentary, godawful puns and (consequently) social tolerance.

I'm sensitive about my image as an American, though. One of the things I dread about traveling is being perceived as the "ugly American." You know, one of those strident, bulbous, glassy-eyed jingoists who came to Paris because they wanted to see "the LOOV-ruh," and spent the whole time complaining about how unfriendly the natives were and how weird and different everything was. These folks put up a stink if they can't find somebody who speaks English (fancy not finding an English speaker in a foreign country!). They never bother to read up on their destination's cultural and social mores, and therefore unknowingly and repeatedly commit crimes of etiquette. They mispronounce names so egregiously that passers-by are physically sickened. And they try to touch or carry away a piece of every monument or museum piece they see. These are the people who poke fun at the Queen's Guard standing outside the gates of Buckingham Palace; send sushi back and ask for it to be cooked longer; and spend their entire Mexican vacation in a deluxe resort and come away twittering about what a nice country it was. Loud, arrogant, demeaning, thoughtless and ethnocentric, as Wikipedia puts it.

Every red-blooded American is allowed to jones for a double cheeseburger with fries while they're overseas, but jeez, people, don't harp on it. Just because the United States is the greatest country in the world doesn't mean you have to remind everybody within earshot about it. I don't want to be one of those ugly Americans. I am sometimes, but I try not to be. Americans have acquired such a stigma that I fancy I can see a little twinge of displeasure come into foreigners' eyes when I tell them where I'm from. The old "Oh-God-he's-an-American-this-is-going-to-be-just-great" kind of twinge. Not that I care, of course. I'm busy thinking I'll bet you've never fired a gun in your life, sucker. Bet you wish your country had the balls to enact a Second Amendment, don't you? This didn't happen much in Korea, I'm glad to say. When I said, "Miguk saram imnida" ("I'm an American"), people's eyes usually lit up...as long as they were under 40.

I'm not apologizing for anybody. I'm proud of the country I was born in. It's a swell place. There are a lot of intelligent, worldly, culturally-aware people here. But as usual, a tiny contingent of dimwits is mucking things up for the rest of us. Not every American tourist is ugly. And that's what I've set out to prove, no matter where I go. It's my unofficial mission, when I'm wandering the globe, to show people that Americans aren't evil, stupid, obtuse or ethnocentric. Whatever foreigners I meet are going to scratch their heads afterward and say, "Hmmm...that bloke wasn't all bad."

Well, except for Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. If I meet that guy on the street, I'm going to give him the wedgie of his life.

With this promise in mind, I set out to learn the Korean language almost immediately upon arriving there. No, before. I was familiarizing myself with the alphabet and basic grammar before I'd even left Wyoming. I was only a few months into my tenure at my hagwon (academy) on Geoje Island, but I was already starting to get comfortable in the lingo. I had the alphabet down, the number system was beginning to coalesce, and I even had some rudimentary sentences under my belt.

I was so proud of what I'd accomplished that I thought I'd trot out some of my skills before my students. Impress 'em, you know. Let them see that I was getting comfortable in their language, even as I was acclimatizing them to mine. Fair trade, you see. It would make 'em feel like I was making an effort, and that I wasn't some overbearing, self-centered xenophobe.

So I started calling out the page numbers of our textbook in Korean. You know, instead of "twenty" I'd say "i-ship." "O-ship-gu" for "59," etc. "Sam-baek-chil" in place of "307," and so on. Then I'd stand up there in front of the whiteboard and bask in the smiles, widened eyes, and delighted gasps of the little ebon-haired tykes.

Then it happened. The time came to turn to page eighteen.

There's a rather interesting quirk of the Korean language involving the number eighteen. It's spelled like this
: 십팔. However, the pronunciation, ship-pal, is EXTRAORDINARILY similar to the Korean F-word, shi-pal (시팔). It's almost exactly the same, in fact. 십팔 is pronounced SHEEP-pal, but you don't aspirate the "p" at the end of "sheep." You can't hardly hear it. The Korean F-bomb is pronounced SHEE-pal, without any "p" at the end of "shee." Unless you're a lifelong Korean speaker, it's very, very difficult to hear—let alone pronounce—the difference between the two.

Just my rotten luck, huh?

Wondering why my entire class burst into peals of raucous laughter whenever I said "eighteen," I went to my Korean colleagues and asked them what the deal was.

Charles asked me, "How are you pronouncing it? Say it for us."

I did.

Eyes bulged. Jaws dropped. Hands clamped over mouths. A universal gasp of horror went up
. Charles, who had perhaps been expecting it, was laughing. He put a friendly hand on my shoulder and said, bracingly, "You are saying the F-word."

A frayed little piece of paper went spinning through the whorls and eddies of my mind and burst into flames, disappearing forever. I suppose it was the last forlorn shred of my dignity, self-assurance, and pride. For the rest of the day, I slunk around campus with my head between my shoelaces, while Korean kids and teachers alike snickered into their sleeves.
It took me ages to live this down. Charles was a lot gentler than I deserved; he only ragged me once or twice a month for the remainder of my sojourn. The kids, however, wouldn't let it rest. Any time I paused in my lecture for more than two seconds, Arthur and Edwin would pipe up: "Teacher! Say eighteen! Eighteen!"

There were no consequences; no parents were called, no disciplinary action taken. No fire-breathing ajuma showed up at my apartment door, out for scalps. I don't even know if word got back to the school director. But me pulling the rug out from under my own attempt at cultural awareness was punishment enough.
My worst nightmare had come true. Not only had I been guilty of the most grievous linguistic impropriety, but I'd also negated the pains I'd taken to disprove the theory of widespread American unworldliness. I'd done the exact opposite of my intention. My vaunted assiduousness had been thwarted by ignorance.

Oh well. It made for a good story.

17 comments:

Joan Crawford said...

Ah! That must have been awful - but is a good story. I had a friend who taught English overseas and apparently he kept pronouncing an innocent word incorrectly and kept saying "whore". Oh, the kids laughed a that one too.

dolorah said...

Too funny. Losing face is worse than any discipline you could have faced.

I can relate. I've been to most of the European capitals, and tried not to be too much of a tourist.

When we got off the bus in Paris I had a headache, as per usual because I get motion sick. Instead of following the rest of the tour around for a while, my hubby and I checked into our rooms and found a pharmacy. It had a poison sign on the flag outfront is how we identified it.

The pharmacist spoke barely any English. After a bit of exaggerated sign language (a bubmling attempt at communication) and unhelpful grunts, we got the point across that we were looking for aspirin. He hands me a tube with about eight giant horse pills.

These suckers were huge, and I thought - and said out loud - "No way, I'd rather be sick." Finally they found someone to with fluent in english to explain how they should be taken (plop plop fizz fizz was her exact words.

Then she astounds us by saying we must be from Norther California, because our sing-songy accent. We tried to explain that Californians, of all the states, don't have accents. She laughed, and said all Americans have accents. News to us.

But it was a great experience.

......dhole

Shrinky said...

I think you are beating yourself up a little too hard here, it was an honest innocent mistake, only made out of a geniune effort to respectfully absorb the language and the culture of your host country.

Plus, it was bloody funny (haaaaaaaaaaaa)!

Oops, sorry (teehee)..

Lydia Sharp said...

Sorry, but that was effing hilarious. ;)

Claire Dawn said...

While I wouldn't mind living in America, I travel entirely too much to actually be an American. For all the reasons you mentioned. Plus, it's so much cooler to come from a tiny Caribbean island :)

My two Japanese mess-ups were Damn- yabe- (yah-bay) instead of wall-kabe (kah-bay), and I'm going to the yakuza (Japanese mafia) instead of yakuba (town hall office).

The word pants means underwear and chin means penis, so clothes and body parts lessons are always oodles of fun.

Sou said...

Shit me, Postie. I loved this post!

It was funny, made me chuckle a fair bit, but it was also quite honest, and kind of serious. It was like a lil onion. Had a few layers to it.

Keep at it, Pman :)

A.T. Post said...

Joan: Hey there! Long time no see! Good to see you again.

I guess every expat commits a faux pas every now and then, no matter how hard they try. That's a good one - do you know what country your friend was in?

DH: COOL! Have you been to Prague? I always wanted to see that one. Maybe Madrid and Lisbon, too.

Thank goodness for advertising; somebody knew the phrase "plop, plop, fizz, fizz" (now THAT is hilarious). Did your headache go away?

I experienced something similar right here in the States. Moved to Tennessee and everybody kept asking me why I had a Californian accent. Affronted, I replied that Californians didn't HAVE an accent. Then I moved back to California and everybody asked me why I had a Tennessean accent...

propinquity: You did make me feel better. I wasn't feeling too bad (I like to self-deprecate a lot when I write, for humorous effect) but whatever feelings of inadequacy or foolishness that still lingered on in my brain were promptly dispelled by your wondrous perspective and wise counsel. Hmmm....and I do hope some of the kids ARE telling funny stories about me in a fond context. You just made my day, propinquity. Thanks...I'll carry that image around with me today.

Shrinky: No worries. Even I was chuckling as I read this, and I was the one it happened to. Heh heh...thanks for stopping in.


LYDIA! Hey, you took some of your precious time to stop in HERE?!?! Why, golly. Thank you. Glad you liked it.

Claire: Indeed. Oh, how I wish I could go up to people and say "I'm from Barbados." THEN I'll bet they'd get a different look in their eyes, like "Wow!" or "Cool!" or "I should totally know where that is, what an idiot I am." And you're in Japan, too, which sends the awesome meter ever higher.

HA! You said you were going to the Yakuza? What did people say???

I did know about pants; I didn't know about chin. I'm going to have to watch where I punch people if I go over there, huh? "I punched him right on the...face."

Mashlip: Hey! There she is! Mashlip lives! Good to see you again. Glad you chuckled. Thanks for stopping by. I'll see if I can get some more lil' onion type stories going in the future.

Jerry said...

Actually, my friend, I think you endeared yourself to your students and others around the school. You were trying, trying hard -- and everyone knew it. You were expected to make mistakes and you made a grand mistake. Sure they were stunned, but they loved it.

"This American guy is great. He tries so hard and he accidentally blurted out f*ck instead of 18. You should have heard it. He was so embarrassed. We have to kid him about it. It was wonderful and we love him for it." That's what I figured they were really saying.

When I visited Cancun, I had to get out of the resort as quick as possible. I hated it...beaches, drinks, bikinis...just like home. I spent most of my time in the Old City and at the Mayan ruins.

I'm with you -- the people and the culture is where it's at.

Bretthead said...

Funny story! I am on constant self censoring alert since I have been known to swear like a drunken sailor. I have to watch it around the fucking kids. :)

Sharon said...

Aww, you were just trying!!! Oh, and thanks for the heads up not to shake your hand in the future :)

A.T. Post said...

Jerry: I suppose you're right. Everybody was pretty sorry to see me go. And they did think it was pretty funny, but not in a mean-spirited sort of way. The Koreans are a congenial bunch, take 'em all around.

Ohhhhhh, man...if I were the kind of man to judge my life by other people's, I be rather jealous of your climbing around the Old City and the Mayan Ruins. Well, okay, I am jealous, I admit it. I've seen some of the pictures you put up and the place looks better than I'd dared to hope. Thanks for popping in and sharing some perspective.

WTWA: Oh, jeez. I do that at least twice in front of all of my friends' kids. Fortunately I've either gotten away with it or the parents already curse up a storm around 'em. Thanks for stopping by!

Chloe: Hey there! Good to see you again, friend! How's things shakin' at your end? Yeah, I tried, I guess. No worries, I like it when girls hug me in greeting instead of shaking my hand.

Jane Jones said...

I have to admit, Postman, that I am one of the guilty ones who judge all American tourists to be fat, brass, crass, and loud. Of course for every stereotypical American traveller abroad I have met, there are 25 who are respectful, interested, and lovely. It is true for all tourists abroad, for everyone is human and there are always those who are dense, uncouth, and speak at a level akin to shouting, but it just seems that America has a higher proportion of people like this. I have heard rumours that Americans are told to put Canadian flags on their backpacks so they won't get hassled as much, but I think that is just Canadian propoganda. I could actually get quite passionate on this point and tell a myriad of stories, but I'll just say this: I am so glad to hear that you are one of the 25.
But the point of this is that your story made me giggle uncontrollably. Making social faux pas like that can be terribly embarrassing, and I think that you've discovered that the only way to live them down (when they inevitably occur)is to laugh at yourself. And let us laugh along with you. ;)

Mary Witzl said...

Great story!

I aspire to be that American too -- culturally aware, not belligerent about my own country's material advantages. But sometimes, making this sort of mistake is a gift.

I did this when I was a waitress at a Japanese restaurant in New York. I asked about 40 businessmen if they would like 'oshikko' (pee) instead of 'oshinko' (pickles). When one of my fellow waitresses pointed out my mistake, I considered quitting on the spot.

notesfromnadir said...

That story made me laugh out loud.

Think about how you injected humor into their lives. Most of them will remember you in a very positive way -- and with fondness. :)

Olivia J. Herrell, writing as O.J. Barré said...

Postman, I agree with Jerry and the others who said your faux pas was a good thing, it made you more human, the one thing we all have in common. Thanks for sharing. As always, you make me smile.

P.S. What did you decide to do about England? Don't know if you saw my (very late) comment, but I, personally, hope that you go.

dolorah said...

PM: No, I don't think we were in Prauge. Maybe driving through. Advertising is wonderful, and it did cure my head in no time. We bought extra to take back to Germany with us.

Love your accent quip. I'll comment on your book review post later. I'm to tired tonight.

........dhole

A.T. Post said...

Jane: I'm glad of two things, Jane. Number one, I'm glad you have met a few of the good Yankees. Number two, I'm glad you giggled. I think I'm secretly trying to make you giggle with every post. Thanks for stopping in and sharing your perspective on the matter. Good to hear the input of a foreigner on the subject.

Mrs. Witzl: I know just how you felt! But hey, you're right. Sometimes making mistakes like that can be good. Learning experiences, funny stories, the works. I'm going to have to comb back through your blog and see if I can dig up more about your working in a Japanese restaurant...that sounds neat. You had to speak Japanese all the time, correct?

Notesfromnadir: Well, hello there! I'm glad I made you laugh; I was trying. Thanks for stopping in! I must pop over and check out your blog sometime.

Rebel: Awww...well, thanks, Rebel. You always say such kind things. Glad I could make you life and that I seem a little more human now. Guess that was my intention.

I did see your comment. I'm sorry, I just didn't reply to it yet. I still intend to go, ash cloud or no ash cloud. Come on, the thing can't keep erupting until June [gulp] can it?

DH: No problem! And thanks for clearing that up. Good to see you there, friend.

DH: