Sunday, April 4, 2010

zombie preparedness

There's a certain group of paranoid loonies out there who are promulgating the notion of "zombie contingency plans."

That there may be no speculation, I am one of them.

Beginning to gain credence outside of Max Brooks fan clubs, the ZCP is a set of protocols to be followed in the event of a zombie apocalypse. Simply put, it is a blueprint for personal survival. One has to have a plan if the worst should happen. If a top-secret mutative virus was released into the atmosphere, and 95% of the world's population was turned into slavering, mindless cannibals...
  • What would you do?
  • What supplies would you gather?
  • Who would you team up with, or include in your survival group?
  • Where would you go to take shelter?
  • What would your long-term plans for the stabilization of the tattered remains of the human race (if any) be?

These blueprints are rather comprehensive. Most commence at the very first sign of trouble, within minutes of an undead outbreak, and continue in excruciating detail through the course of many years, incorporating any number of apocalyptic scenarios.


My personal plan, I'm told, is rather high-flown (literally, as you'll see) but still maintains some viable elements. Needless to say, it involves flying. What better place to escape when Earth is overrun by hordes of flesh-eating undead than the empty sky?

I'd like to be able to share the details of my ZCP with you, but some things are better left classified. Suffice it to say that the fulfillment of my plan goes something like this: there's me, and a hand-picked crew of hardy, trustworthy souls—fully equipped with firearms and bladed weapons, pillaged or otherwise. We're flying an Osprey, a Bell UH-1 or some other military-type craft (preferably capable of hovering or STOL). We spend our days moving between hidden weapon and supply caches, and hiring ourselves out as couriers or zombie-killers to conclaves of terrified landlubbers.

I don't know about you, but that blows every other zombie contingency plan I've ever heard out of the water. Most of my buddies all have land-based plans, which, in my opinion, have one fatal flaw: they're land-based. Zombies walk on land. To me, land doesn't sound like the best place to be when the scourge of the living dead arises. Zombies don't swim, either, but seeing as how they're undead, they can still infest shallow water. Only thing scarier than a zombie shambling toward you on a dark street is one reaching up from the bottom of a murky pond and grabbing the oars of your rowboator one of your appendages. Therefore, I would argue that life as an "aerial nomad," rotating through a series of secured caches, armed to the teeth, keeping mobile, is a more feasible idea.

This plan depends on well-maintained equipment and absolute readiness. To that end, I check on my equipment frequently, and update it or refurbish it as needs be.
Last week I gave the multifarious components of my anti-zombie kit a going-over.

First I grabbed my machete and my single-bit axe out of the Jeep. Each of these implements was chosen with the utmost care. The machete is carbon steel, rather than stainless, which, though more susceptible to rust, does not flash brightly in the sunlight and alert potential enemies to my presence. I would've preferred a double-bit axe, but Pops has one in the tool shed, so as long as the house isn't completely overrun following the outbreak (which is unlikely; we're far removed from town, and zombies shamble at 1-2 miles per hour) I can run out there and grab it. The Jeep, though neither heavy nor as thick-skinned as a Ford F-350 or an Excursion, still has plentiful cargo space, and suitable 4WD capabilities to get me over most obstacles. It'll do for a start. Later on I can see about getting my hands on a Bradley Fighting Vehicle or an armored F-650.

Once inside the house, I opened my closet and took out my Louisville Slugger and my aluminum Easton. Both baseball bats would do some damage to a half-rotted skull at close quarters. Both have their plus sides and drawbacks. The Slugger is made of wood, but its reach is longer. The Easton is shorter but inestimably stronger. Wouldn't hurt to have both along. This being the United States, where guns are not irrationally viewed as being scary, violent or barbaric death-devices which wantonly kill people for no reason, I have several firearms in my arsenal as well. I would detail them here, but again, such things are better left unsaid. I will say that I am equipped for almost every conceivable scenario—and have more than enough ammunition to outlast the initial outbreak.


My machete and axe were in bad shape. Somehow, moisture had seeped into the back of my Jeep. (Yes, moisture. In the desert. Didn't have that in my contingency plan, oh no.) The blades of both tools were encrusted with rust. It took a fair amount of spit, polish, and steel wool to get it off, but I managed it. Dad helped a lot. He's good for stuff like that. I think I'll keep those (ahem) tools inside from now on, unless I really need to have them in my car.


If you must know, I didn't buy an axe and a machete expressly for zombie-fighting purposes. I actually wanted them for that inconceivable moment when I finally move to Alaska, and might need to clear fallen trees off the roads. Zombie-killing is an added bonus. A special feature, if you will.
And so my anti-zombie kit has been revitalized for the nonce, and I am once again prepared to face the zombie plague, the end-all disaster. Hee hee.


Speaking of disasters, there was a slight earthquake as I was typing this post. I am not making this up. I live less than 50 miles from the San Andreas fault, so earthquakes are nothing new around here. I was just sitting on my bed, typing, when all of a sudden I felt the mattress begin to sway ever so slightly beneath me. There was some relative motion being achieved between the elbows on my knees, and the hands on my keyboard.


I jumped up and yelled "HEY GUYS! I THINK WE'RE HAVING AN EARTHQUAKE!"


No sooner did I reach the living room when Mom hollered "YEAH WE ARE!"

I felt the carpet sway to and fro under my feet. I was like riding the most gentle surfboard in the world. The light bulbs in the ceiling fan began to rattle, and I could see the clock on the mantelpiece (suspended by a thin wire) wobble back and forth. Dad
the geologist in the familysat at the computer, grinning.

"Hey," he said, "This is a good one!"


It continued for perhaps 15 more seconds. We looked out the front window to try and see the ground wave moving down the hill, but the quake was too gentle for that. Finally, it died away.
"Somebody got really hammered somewhere," Pop mused, a little while later. "That was a good one."

The weights on the cuckoo clock still swung back and forth.


Dad was right. The earthquake turned out to be a 7.2 on the Richter scale that struck Baja California about 29 miles south of Mexicali. It took place six miles beneath the surface. Haven't heard too much about the damage it caused.
But we felt it all the way up here. Yowzer.

This is perhaps the eighth or ninth earthquake I've experienced here in the Mojave. Three of them I've driven through, and haven't noticed. One of them rattled a few tools in the garage, but I couldn't feel it. Another woke me up in the middle of the night, making me think my box-spring mattress had mutated into a water bed. The rest were so gentle that I didn't detect them. Normally, earthquakes don't last as long as this one today; they just roll through, like a wave.

That could change in the near future, though. Southern California is about ten years overdue for a truly massive quake, the proverbial Big One, a 2012-style monster that'll level every overpass in the Los Angeles Basin and (hopefully) put Malibu and Santa Barbara underwater for the rest of eternity.
I think I might go buy a crash helmet tomorrow. And a video camera.

Wouldn't that make an interesting vlog entry?





12 comments:

Jane Jones said...

First thing: Zombies. I am SO prepared for when the first wave hits my city... I refuse to be one of the ones who die.
2nd thing: earthquakes. They are kind of scary, kind of cool. Where I used to live in Vancouver we would get small ones sometimes, and I still remember the surreal feeling of sitting in class and thinking: why are my legs shaking? Is something wrong with me? Why are the backpacks in the coatroom jingling? I think they are overdue for a Big One too. Here we don't get earthquakes, but sometimes when a major train goes rattling past my childhood training kicks in and I instinctively either duck under a table, or run to a doorway. I've embarrassed myself once or twice with this.
3rd: Sorry about the bartender's exam. Next time I'm sure you will pass! Want to know something? It took me 3 times to pass my driver's test; I kept getting the small things all wrong... like stopping at stop signs, etc. People are so picky.
4th: ENGLAND??! SO COOOL! When you make it you definitely have to tell us everything!

Rachel said...

I've thought about my zombie preparedness play and so far what I've got is:

I would immediately try to gather a big group of survivors...family, neighbors, etc. Safety in numbers. Next, we would organize a team to head out to the nearest Walmart/Target/etc and gather supplies. We would need to take several vehicles and fill them up. Most importantly other than the obvious food, water, ammo, guns...I feel that it would be an asset to gather pharmaceuticals. Prescription drugs. Even if we don't use them ourselves (like diabetic supplies). And of course, narcotic pain killers and antibiotics. Because these things will be very valuable for trading amongst other survivors that are not "with us". Also, lots of alcohol.

I would grab books, toys, and games for the kids since TV won't exist anymore and we will be spending most of our time in our compound (which would be built quickly with liberated supplies from the Home Depot). Except for when we make supply runs. We would also need lots of seeds, soil, etc to plant a garden within the compound for an ongoing food supply.

That's about all I've got, but it's a good start...I think.

Earthquakes: my mom lives in Yuma, AZ. Not too far from the epicenter of the quakes and she had it pretty bad over there. She manages a hotel and so far a quick damage assessment has found 17 TVs that have fallen off of the stands and smashed. They're still having aftershocks, and say that pets are still on edge...which I don't believe is a good sign. Animals can sense things that we can't.

Sorry to hear about the bartending exam brah, I have confidence that you'll do much better next time though.

Bretthead said...

I'm a live in the moment kind of guy so I'm not going to prepare. I'm going to wing it. Plus, I watched Zombieland and figure I can revert to some of those tactics if necessary. But glad you are ready and trying to ready your readers. Cuz this is bound to happen soon.

Jerry said...

I was eating pizza in a little Sicilian place in San Diego a whole bunch of years ago when I saw my iced tea start walking across the table. Suddenly the whole place just lifted and rolled. I had just moved to California and didn't know what was happening -- I just knew that it was weird and I felt pretty helpless. When the shop owner ran through the room and out the front door -- I figured I better follow him. That was the worse one I experienced.

Zombies? I embrace 'em -- always looking for that new experience.

Smithy said...

I imagine I'd be one of those irrational gun-haters you'd be referring to. And I'd usually agree. But when it comes to zombies...

Get me the biggest, fattest, loudest pump-action shotgun you can find and put me at the front of your group. I'd want to make shit splatter.

Problem is though, in the case of an outbreak, we'd be SOL due to our island-bearing status. I'm sure you yanks'd leave us to finish ourselves off before coming over and using our island to breed zombie farm workers on. Touche.

To be fair though, we worked out what to do with a load of life-sucking half-dead creatures many, many years ago.

We put them up in Buck House and called them the Royal Family.

A.T. Post said...

Jane: Oh? What's the best escape route out of...whatever city in Alberta you're from? Good on you for refusing to die. We need people with that attitude in the New World.
Second, wow. They have earthquakes in Vancouver? I mean, I knew there was a fault zone near there: Ring of Fire and all that. Didn't know it got hit, though. Ha, an earthquake in school must've been a weird experience. I do the same thing when trains go by. I always thing a jetliner's going to crash through the roof of my house.
Third, thank you. I'm taking another "shot" at it tomorrow morning. I appreciate the well-wishes, especially from you, friend. Yeah, who remembers to stop for stop signs anyway these days?
Fourth, YES!! I can't wait. I'll be sure to send out a couple of dispatches from the U.K.

Rachel: Good to see you! I apologize if I've been neglecting you lately. It's not intentional, believe me. You've got an excellent plan. Would you believe I left pharmaceuticals (and BOOZE) completely out of my calculations? I originally had a plan similar to yours, involving an armed run to the store; but I figured everybody and their mother would be doing the same thing, and it'd be best to make a run for the airport right off and be sure of the pickings. Seeds and topsoil I always figure I can scavenge from someplace with the aid of an airplane. I might need a contingency plan for my contingency plan, here...

SEVENTEEN TVS? May Allah rest their cathode-ray souls. Good to hear the news before anyone else gets it; I'm sorry your mom's having such trouble. Yeah, I've heard that animals can sense earthquakes coming. Spooky. Hope the aftershocks aren't bad. And thanks for the well-wishes.

WTWA: I. Loved. Zombieland. Funniest movie I've been to in a while, and a wealth of useful rules. 'Course, we can't always count on finding a Hummer filled with guns...

"I'm not good at goodbyes, so...that'll do, pig."

Jerry: Zowie, now that was a GOOD one. I've never had a beverage try to walk away from me before. That must've been something to have been in an earthquake like THAT for the first time...man, you've done some living. But the shop owner should've gone down with the ship.

Yeah, I keep hoping the zombie apocalypse is going to hit soon so I don't have to worry about repaying my student loans...

Smithy: You know, some of them gun-haters are right in my own backyard...but I wasn't specifically referring to you, chum. Besides, I still have hope that you can be converted once I get to you to the gun range...like I did Adam and Elaine.

I'll see what I can do about the shotgun situation when the apocalypse hits, too, friend. I second your sentiments.

Now let's see...according to World War Z, I think the U.S. DID come to the aid of the U.K. It was Japan that we left hanging. Fortunately they have katanas over there in plenitude, and those are rather good anti-zombie weapons.

You had me in stitches with the Royal Family comment, mate...ha! And I thought you were talking about vampires originally!

Claire Dawn said...

So Mr. Escape-to-Air, what are you doing for fuel?

I think I'm immune to earthquakes. Been in 7, felt none. (Live in Japan: one of the earthquake magnets in the world.)

Murr Brewster said...

Well. I have a plan too. I'm not that bad at math, and inasmuch as I don't feel exceptional, I'm figgering I'll be in the 95% slavering cannibal masses. So I am packing a ditty bag with salt packets and Tabasco.

25BAR said...

Good thing I got off Facebook!

Carrie said...

My zombie survival plan?

Hunt down your plane when it lands to pick up more supplies and offer to be your official cake baker in turn for safety.

I'm not above bribery.

A.T. Post said...

Cake-baker, eh? Hmmm...[scratches chin]

Well, in light of the fact that every bakery in the world has likely gone up in smoke, welcome aboard.

A little bribe never hurt anybody.

JordanDorkin said...

You detailed your post in very interesting way. Nice post.
I love to do something crazy as I went to haunted circus last week, people should try haunted fun at least once -
zombie hunt