Tuesday, April 27, 2010

singing in a house with plaster walls

When I was a kid I had a big book full of Aesop's immortal fables. Forget everything you know about sour grapes and golden eggs. This book had every fable the man ever wrote in it. Fables that never would've made it into a fifth-grade classroom or a kid's television program: fables which dealt with nasty things like grave robbery, diarrhea, big scary lions, crucifixion, shipwrecks, exploding frogs, and the like.

I loved that book. I sure wish I knew where it was. I'd probably get an even bigger kick out of it now than I did back then. It was unabridged, you see. It wasn't really a kid's book. Some dry wit had translated it right out of Greek in a clipped, academic fashion. Many's the time I had to stop and look up a word, or puzzle my way through a rather sinuous turn of phrase. But I understood most of it. Each page had the full text of a fable printed on it, and, italicized underneath, the moral. There were some fables which didn't pass muster, of course. Aesop believed that people's personalities could be judged from their physical appearance, and as we all know, that just ain't true (except in Disney movies). But most of them taught good common sense, and demonstrated it in a rather captivating way, which is why I was so hooked.

The very first fable in that little book was one I didn't heed at the time, because I hadn't yet realized its relevance. Later on, though, it came back to me, and it's recurred to me again and again over the years. Particularly now, as I shall tell you. But first, the fable. I'm afraid I don't remember what it was called. But it went something like this:

There was once a talentless singer who used to practice in a house with heavily plastered walls, which amplified the sound so much that the fellow imagined that he had a first-rate voice. But when he went up on stage to perform, he sang so badly that the audience chased him off the stage with catcalls and vegetables.

And so we see that the disparity between how good we think we are and how good we actually are is often greater than we care to admit.
That wasn't the moral. The moral in the book was shorter and more profound. But you get the gist, right? Seems like every time I read something new, my eyes get opened to a new aspect of writing—and invariably, I hope to incorporate it into my own scribbles. William Faulkner has drawn my attention to the most debilitating defect of my current novel (and my new WIP, second in the series): Voice. The voice in my writing bothers me. It's so...remote. Third-person omniscient the P.O.V. may be, but as everyone from Jules Verne to J.K. Rowling to Douglas Adams to Mark Twain has proven, you can write in third person and still have a personal, lively, engaging voice. My novel manuscripts are anything but. The writing is sterile. Formal. Distant. Puerile, too. It's as intimate as a chastity belt, as approachable as a porcupine.

I suspect this is the chief reason why I'm having such difficulty writing this second book, and why I had such tremendous difficulty with the first, which, as I've mentioned, went through something like 27 versions and took four years to complete. I'm not having fun when I'm writing this crap.

Say, this reminds me of a song. Namely, Frank Sinatra on "I Get a Kick Out of You":


My story is much too sad to be told,
But practically everything leaves me totally cold.

The only exception I know is the case,

When I'm out on a quiet spree,

Fighting vainly the old ennui...


The story is good; the premise is there; heck, the dialogue could be worse. Even the tone is starting to shape up. But the voice is awful. There's nothing there, no spark, no flash, no touch, no soul-to-soul resuscitation. Everything's leaving me totally cold, and I find myself, once again, "fighting vainly the old ennui."

I've got to fix this. I'm not getting a kick out of my writing. I need to relax and write the way I feel like, and worry about how it sounds later. I've got to settle back, get down to basics again, just have fun with the process of creating. Faulkner reminded me of that. Granted, The Reivers is told in first person, but still
the way it's written literally sucks me into the story. It gets me engaged, makes me a part of the world I'm reading about.

A little while ago, I read a quote on The Sharp Angle from an author who figures his (or her) writing is good because he (or she) becomes immersed in the tale he's (or she's) telling. It feels like the characters are real, and that sincerity comes across to the audience. Maybe that was that ancient Greek singer's problem. He wasn't sincere enough. He thought he sounded good bouncing off the plaster walls, but up on stage, it was a whole different ballgame.

I need to muster up some sincerity. You should, too, if you're writing. If you like what you're doing and (even more importantly) know what you're talking about, it'll come through in the writing, and you'll have a decent work on your hands. That's my other problem: ignorance. I've got some research I really have to do, quite a bit for both novels
historical research. I need to know a little bit more about what Wild Bill Hickok did with himself before he became a sheriff in Abilenenamely, his days of scouting and trailblazing. I need to know a little bit more about Nitenryu, the two-blade style of swordsmanship which the great Japanese duelist Miyamoto Musashi practiced. I've got a lot I need to find out about the ancient Akkadians. What they wore, the weapons they used in battle, just exactly how their subjugation of Sumer went, that kind of thing. The Epic of Gilgamesh was good, but it wasn't much on historical detail. Once I get some hard facts (and some other, more nebulous ones) confirmed, I'll feel a lot more confident about the quality of the work. Thus it'll be much easier to get personally invested and calm again.

And somewhere in between, I've got to remember to go outside and play fetch with my dog Harriet every now and then. A doughty challenge, but as I'm starting to learn, challenges look a lot smaller after you've passed 'em. I chronicle these thoughts not to complain, or hedge, or equivocate. I'm not fishing for compliments, or hoping to garner the sympathy of an electronic support group. You can take away whatever you want from it. This is for me, you might say. Years from now, when I'm an accomplished novelist, I want to remember these years of youthful insecurity, those long hours I devoted to a labor of the heart whose success was anything but certain. I suspect I'll laugh. Hard.

Now, if you want a
real piece of poetic justice, the word "music" (which is central to the fable I related earlier) is a derivative of the word "muse," originating with the Nine Muses, the daughters of Zeus and the patronesses of intellectual and artistic pursuits. ...like writing, for example.

So tell me, why should it be true that I get a kick out of you.

11 comments:

Claire Dawn said...

Chastity belts are intimate. Just sayin'.

I understand how you feel. Recently I read my first Neil Gaiman. (I know, right?) Honestly it took a really, really, really long time to get into, but in the end it showed me something about my writing.

I write like my novel is a screenplay. Lots of action and dialogue. Very little description. Now I have to decide if I want ot leave it that way.

Before that I watched How she move, and screenwriter Anne-marie Morais taught me that while my main characters were well developed, my supporting cast was paper thin. YOu can't have characters in books existing, just because. So I had to go back and fix that.

As for voice, I found my blog has been really helpful. I have an informal chatty voice on there, and I transformed my story from kinda distant to informal and chatty the same way. So you could try experimenting with your blog. Write your posts in different styles and see what works for you and for us. :)

Good luck.

Olivia J. Herrell, writing as O.J. Barré said...

Ugh, I feel ya. Maybe it's not such a great idea to compare? Do other people say your voice is sterile or puerile? Self-attacking? :) Tell me about your novel/s again, I can't seem to keep stuff in my head long these days; fiction or non? Make stuff up or report accurately?

Olivia J. Herrell, writing as O.J. Barré said...

Maybe Shakespeare would say, "Screw the details and have fun with it, Sir Postman." Right?!? (And, no, you didn't correct me, you're too much of a gentleman. I like that about you, oh great teacher in the blogosphere.)

A.T. Post said...

Claire: Well, maybe chastity belts are intimate in the sense that they hold a highly delicate place in the wardrobe, but their whole function is to prevent intimacy of another sort. [cough] There you go. As far as sexiness goes, my writing is Grade A Number One Nerd.

Don't worry. I've never read Neil Gaiman either.

Ah, see, now you and I are opposites. I'm like Jules Verne. I put the brakes on dialog and plot to stick in a bunch of description. Now I have to decide if I want to leave it that way.

How exactly did Anne-marie Morais show you that your supporting characters were paper thin? I'm curious. This series of mine is going to have a BOATLOAD of supporting characters.

Yeah...maybe there's an idea! I could experiment with different voices on this here blog...this gives me an idea...

Thanks for stopping in and shedding your light. I appreciate it, Claire. How's things in Japan?

Rebel: Nobody's said it yet...but it's a gut feeling I have committed that sin of sterile voice. I sure as heck know when OTHER people's voices are sterile, and it's something I hate most in writing. Makes the whole thing boring as all get-out.

My work is fiction. And for the most part I'm making stuff up, but the people and events are based off real historical people and events, so there's a heavier-than-usual research element.

Author, author Shakespeare! Screw the details! Thanks for the reminder, Rebel.

Carrie said...

"And somewhere in between, I've got to remember to go outside and play fetch with my dog Harriet every now and then."

This reminded me of something my high school chemistry teacher used to tell us before every exam: "Remember, it's just a test. Your momma's still gonna love you, and your doggie's still gonna need to be fed when you get home."

I think the sentiment is true here too. Don't stress. Just push ahead, do your best, and if it flops, go at it again. You'll get it eventually. ;)

Also:

"I need to know a little bit more about what Wild Bill Hickok did with himself before he became a sheriff in Abilene—namely, his days of scouting and trailblazing.

I need to know a little bit more about Nitenryu, the two-blade style of swordsmanship which the great Japanese duelist Miyamoto Musashi practiced."

I know these two statements probably don't go together like this, but I just pictured an epic Japanese sword fight happening in the wild west. Just so you know. It was a rather amazing thing.

Luck!

A.T. Post said...

"I think the sentiment is true here too. Don't stress. Just push ahead, do your best, and if it flops, go at it again. You'll get it eventually."

Sage words, Carrie, thanks. I think maybe I'm stressin' too much about getting it perfect the first time. Time to chill out.

Funny you should say that, Carrie. A sword fight in the Old West...that's the tone of my whole novel. My protagonists are an Old West gunfighter and a Japanese samurai. And they're best buddies. This book's full of anachronisms and weird combos like that. And the amazingness of it all is why I started writing it in the first place.

I think you might like to read this series when I'm done with it. Thanks for pointing that out, and stopping by, and perking me up.

Jane Jones said...

Postman, I feel for you. I really do. It's hard to pursue an art-form that depends on such a wicked combination of sweat/blood/hard work, and the creative muses that lurk in your brain. There's nothing else quite like it.

I like that you write this blog for you. I think it should be that way sometimes; that sometimes when you write it should be for you and you alone, and I agree that that's often when the best, most connective, most heart-felt stuff comes out.

I know you said you aren't looking for compliments. And I don't know what your novelistic voice sounds like. But as for your blogging "voice"... well, this is the only blog I check on an almost daily basis, no matter how busy I am. Your blogging voice is very enjoyable, personable, witty, pretty, wise, etc. It sucks you in and keeps you coming back for me.
Just thought you should know, friend. :)

A.T. Post said...

Jane, how is it that your observations are always so dead-on, your responses so perfectly timed, your compliments so kind? Whatever your secret is, you should patent it.

Thanks, friend, for letting me know. I appreciate what you've said, more than you realize.

Now I just gotta figure out how to transpose the tone from this here blog into my novel, and I guess I'm set! Right-o! It helps to have somebody believing in me, too. So here goes nothing.

Olivia J. Herrell, writing as O.J. Barré said...

Your post made me wonder about the voice in my new novel. I'm such a novice. I think I need a reader. At least for the first few chapters. You give great feedback and are gentle about it, wanna give it a read for me?? I promise to still love you if you hate it...

BTW, Lilah Pierce is having a Last Line Blogfest on 5/1. I don't have her link handy, but you can get it at my blog if you guys don't have it.

Jerry said...

Well, I'm certainly not going to attempt to give advice. All I can say is what unlocks my chastity belt. Okay, that was stupid. Anyway, I gotta' really, really like what I am writing. If I like it I have to make the reader like it as much as I do. I want the reader to feel my feelings. I guess it is a sincerity thing that I need to convey.

A.T. Post said...

Rebel: Why sure, I'd be glad to -- oh wait, I let such a span of time elapse before letting this comment get replied to that I've already taken a look at your stuff. Well, uh, thanks for stopping in.

Jerry: I'll remember that. I gotta really, really like this. Maybe that's a sign I need to abandon plots I'm pursuing hopelessly, or spin the story into something I can get into more easily.

Thanks for the advice. Makes perfect sense to me.