Thursday, November 19, 2009

cocktail review no. 18 - Tower Topper

Right, folks! I think it's time I got down to business and started reviewing season-themed cocktails for you. We're a bit late in the year for fruity drinks like the zombie and bebidas frescas like the martini. I gave you a Halloween sort of deal with the Dark and Spooky; now let's move on to Thanksgiving and Christmas. Actually, I have a marvelous libation in mind for Yuletide, but I'll get to that later. And so! In the midst of this season of harvesting, cooking, baking, eating, imbibing, and everything else having to do with saliva, I give you a cocktail you'll be thankful for. It's best sipped in a house smelling of pumpkin spice or apple butter, possibly even turkey grease. It's called the "tower topper."
  • 1½ ounces Canadian whisky
  • ½ ounces Grand Marnier
  • ½ ounces light cream
In a shaker half-filled with ice cubes, combine all the ingredients. Shake well and strain into a cocktail glass. I won't lie. The first time I ran across this recipe in The Bartender's Bible, my nose involuntarily wrinkled up. Yerk, I thought. Who's going to want to try that? Fortunately, a complete lack of Grand Marnier made the issue a moot point. I've been on a whiskey kick lately, as I think I've mentioned. So when I paged through the Bible last evening and encountered this drink once more (with a half-full bottle of Grand Marnier in the drinks cabinet), I was given pause. ...for about two seconds. I mixed it up (using milk instead of cream, which we didn't have) and sampled it. You'll have to decide for yourself what this drink tastes like. The flavor is highly subjective, and could potentially be the topic of much debate. I was, however, forcibly reminded of cooking as I imbibed. To me, this stuff tastes like a kitchen full of people cooking Thanksgiving dinner. The tower topper has a holiday feel to it, probably lent by the softness of the milk (cream), the spice of the liqueur, and the warmth of the whisky. Try it, it's good. Have one handy when you're basting the turkey. And make it a double, it'll last longer.

7 comments:

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

I absolutely cannot wait to try this. I love Grand Marnier. The woman who taught me to cook used to make brownie icing with it. I'm also generally a fan of combining dairy products and liquor.

Plus, I'm a slobbering fool when it comes to Thanksgiving and Christmas. I absolutely love them both, especially all the immensely satisfying food and drink. I'm a huge fan of mulled wine and eggnog with brandy. I'm excited at the prospect of expanding my holiday libations horizons via your blog.

A.T. Post said...

How splendid! Thank you for the lovely words, as always. Glad to help.

Yeah, I didn't know you could cook with the stuff until my mom bought some for a pie (which came out abso-flippin'-lutely GORGEOUS). Dairy products and liquor have not yet gone amiss with me. Raw eggs, on the other hand...

I, too, am a fan of eggnog. I actually introduced it to my British friends in Korea, who had never heard of it. Never spiked it though. It's pretty good as is. I have yet to try mulled wine; I'll get that when I go over to England for those same friends' wedding in the winter of 2011.

Good luck with the tower toppers, Pollinatrix! I hope you like it.

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

Never had spiked eggnog or mulled wine? I'm shocked!

Have you ever come across Pennsylvania Dutch eggnog? You should try it. It's unbelievably strong and good. Blew my image of the Amish.

I'm going to have a Christmas party, so I'll make the Tower Topper then, but I may have to change the name. To...hmmm...how about Tree Topper? Would that be beverage blasphemy?

Verification word: distaxi. Would that be what would happen if you failed at the airplane wheelie?

A.T. Post said...

Never heard of PDE. I think booze is the only way the Amish can get their kicks, isn't it? Poor Puritans.

Tree Topper's perfect, fits right with the season. Though to make the whole thing legit you might want to sprinkle some nutmeg over the top of the drink. Just for that festive edge.

Yes, something like that. Forget "nose-wheel shimmy" now we've got DISTAXI.

Just remember, dis taxi is better than dat taxi.

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

Ooh - nutmeg! You're brilliant. And a sprig of holly? That might be overdoing it.

Nose-wheel shimmy definitely has its charm, though.

You made me giggle. Even though I was just murdered at Monopoly by my daughter's best friend.

A.T. Post said...

I thought holly was poisonous. Or perhaps that's just the berries.

Sounds like a dance, doesn't it? Only pilots do it. "Come on everybody, let's do the NOSE-WHEEL SHIMMY!"

I'm glad I can still dispense giggles. I've played Monopoly all my life and have won perhaps two games. My brother plays for blood. Did you get any monopolies? Railroads?

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

I actually had three railroads and all the red properties, with three houses on each. But Saffron had the orange ones with hotels, and LOTS of money. We only played until my daughter went bankrupt, then decided to quit, declaring Saffron the winner.

I think you're right about holly. Nutmeg's enough, anyway.