Monday, November 23, 2009

boy, 5, dunks self in pond

XENIA, OH - An area boy nearly gave himself hypothermia following an accidental dip in a near-frozen pond in Shawnee Park. Andrew, 5, stated that he was running from his father during a friendly game of tag when, as he looked back over his shoulder, he suddenly found himself bobbing up and down in murky green water. Andrew's mother arrived on the scene to find her sopping son wrapped securely in his father's sweater, and Dad freezing his heinie off in the chilly autumn weather. I was originally going to steer clear of old personal anecdotes, partly because of my innate modesty, and partly because of my journalism training (all that stuff's "old news"). However, I have noticed these stories being employed to great effect elsewhere in the blogsphere. So I have amended my previous stance, as they say in Politicspeke, and am now going to start includin' 'em. I was born in Auburn, California. My folks moved around NoCal a bit before making the hop down to the Mojave Desert when I was 19 months old. That's where my brother Harlan was born. We moved east to Ohio shortly thereafter. One of the first places we lived in Ohio was this marvelous little town called Xenia. I wish I remembered more of it, but my memory does not serve me well. I basically remember only one thing from our time in Xenia, and that's the park. Magical sort of place, it was. Seemed to be all rolling hills, green fields, quiet streams, small ponds, stone bridges, and Canada geese. The geese were everywhere. They (literally) flocked to the place during their seasonal migrations. I can remember many lovely autumn afternoons spent watching these geese with my brother and my parents as we strolled through the park. One cold and sunny fall day in 1990, Dad took my brother and me to the park while Mom did the grocery shopping. She dropped us off and left us to our own devices. Soon enough, a game of tag broke out. Harlan and Dad and I were running all over the place, laughing, yelling, leaping about, and breathing the frigid air into our heaving lungs. This is what I remember. Dad had zeroed in on me, and I was doing my darnedest to outdistance him. At five years old, I didn't have much of a chance. I was looking back over my shoulder to determine how rapidly my lead was shrinking, when suddenly... I don't remember actually hitting the water. The last thing I remember is my foot coming down on empty air. The next memory I have is being submerged in one the park's numerous ponds, bobbing up and down on my back, staring at the concrete wall of the pond two feet beneath the surface. There was a metal pipe bolted to the wall; both were smeared with goose droppings. I don't remember being disgusted by this, even though I now knew why the ponds were always so green. I was in the water only a few seconds. Dad must've fished me out in a hurry. The next thing I remember is standing on a park bench as Dad wrapped his voluminous sweater around me. Again, I don't remember being cold. My memory is so poor that only the visual imagery remains. Dad, Harlan and I began to walk to the entrance to the park. Mom pulled up to see Dad, sweater-less and quite chilled, and her eldest son waddling along behind him, wrapped from chin to toes in a huge wool sweater. I must've looked like a tiny priest in a misshapen, oversize cassock. I don't remember anything after that. I didn't get hypothermia; Dad's sweater was huge (and pre-warmed) and thankfully there was no wind. My body temperature was likely already elevated by the spirited game of tag we'd been engaged upon, too. But Dad probably caught hell from Mom anyway, bless her. I know I took a lot of good-natured ragging from Dad and Harlan in the years that followed. Fancy being silly enough to accidentally run into a pond! I'm writing about this for a reason. While we're on the subject of false impressions, it might seem to some of you that I'm a competent person. I lived alone in Korea for a year, I'm learning to fly, I graduated college in 3.5 years (despite switching majors twice), and I've never fallen for any kind of scam or fraud. But nonetheless, these are the kinds of things that happen to me. Unintentionally dunking myself in ponds, I mean. On Saturday I misread the schedule and wound up at bartender's school on the wrong day for the wrong class. After an hour-and-a-half commute, too. I fired an arrow into the wall of my bedroom when I was thirteen, because, for some reason, I'd put it onto the string and was drawing the bow. In the house. Reminds me of a song.
In the days of my youth I was told what it means to be a man Now I've reached that age I've tried to do all those things the best I can No matter how I try I find my way to the same old jam — Led Zeppelin

11 comments:

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

Wait! What? You have a brother???

What all majors did you try? It took me thirteen years and changing my major three times to get a bachelor's degree.

Don't feel bad - I REGULARLY back into my partner's car when he's parked in my driveway. And last week I totally forgot about a very important meeting that I had confirmed THAT MORNING that I'd be present for.

A.T. Post said...

Had a brother for as long as I can remember. And five male cousins. No sisters or girl cousins at all. Sometimes that bums me out. Most of the time (such as when all of us get together and play touch football or war games) it doesn't.

I started out in zoology. Thought I was going to be the next Steve Irwin (minus the stingray bit). Then I changed to mass communication when I discovered that I didn't get along very well with advanced chemistry. A year after I'd switched, the communication college at North Dakota State introduced five new communication majors. Journalism was one of them. So I switched into that. Now I reckon I'll be the next Ernest Hemingway (minus the shotgun bit).

Good, now we've cleared up each other's mental states. Each of us knows the other forgets stuff sometimes. Now we can read each other's blogs without illusions.

Say, I meant to ask you, how did you change the "comments" label? How'd you get it to say "cross-pollinations" instead of "comments"?

A.T. Post said...

Sorry, I meant "cross-pollinators."

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

No, you were right the first time: It says "cross-pollinations." My followers are "cross-pollinators."

Go to "Layout", and then choose to edit Blog Posts. It's under "Post Page Options."

I only have two first cousins - one male and one female, brother and sister. I always wished I had more, especially since they're way younger than me. That doesn't bother me now, but when I was a kid they were too little to play with.

A.T. Post said...

Ah! THAT'S where it was hidden. I'd been there before to set up my "reactions." I just couldn't find that particular option again to save my life. Thanks a lot for pointing the way.

Yeah, I'm sure my oldest cousin (who's five years older than me, the second cousin) must've gotten a bit tired of us babies sometimes.

My brother is 19 months younger than me, attending the University of Wyoming, is majoring in theater, and...we don't talk much. I realized I'd better add this information in, because I didn't really give you a decent reply before.

Kim Ayres said...

I have a sister one year younger than me. Now as adults, we get on very well, but as kids we fought constantly, and the only real surprise is that I didn't actually deliberately drown her in a pond...

Mary Witzl said...

I've never fallen in a pond, but both my kids have managed this, one right after I said, "Be careful on that rock or you could fall in." (I froze my tail off walking her home -- it was November, in Scotland) My husband once fell into a frozen duck pond he was following a friend across. The friend weighed about 50 lbs less than he did...

So you are in good company. And the cool thing about falling into a pond is that you end up with an entertaining story. I'm going to wait until it's summer to try this myself, though.

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

So have you gotten to the part where Amy falls through the ice?

Entrepreneur Chick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Entrepreneur Chick said...

Well, until you're fishing and think it's oh so clever to wipe with a leaf (poison oak), get back to me.

A.T. Post said...

Mr. Ayres: What brought about the closure? How did you and your sister bind things back up? And do you have any tips for sibling-drowning?

Mrs. Witzl: You jinxed the kid! The minute you tell 'em to be careful, that's the second they'll fall in. But yowzer, November in Scotland...that's no joking matter, I hear. And as for falling through ice...yeah, that beats my story by a country mile. Goose poo can't compare to sub-freezing temperatures.

Here's a tip: for maximum effect, get a small group together to witness your self-dunking. That way you'll have witnesses to corroborate the story, yet there won't be too many other people telling it.

Pollinatrix: DON'T SPOIL IT! I had no clue that ANYBODY falls through the ice in that book! Thanks a lot! Although you have now given me something exciting to look forward to...

EC: HA! Did you really? So did Stephen King, only it was poison ivy. His clinical description of the results is spine-curdling. I hope you didn't have too hard a time...this sounds like a good blog post, actually! Leads me right back to what I was saying before about "personal anecdotes being blogged to great effect."