Sunday, November 8, 2009

"Tom Petty needs to learn to drive a stick"

I came slowly to myself on the morning of Thursday, November 5. I remembered immediately where I was—Room 245 in the Motel 6 in Yuma, Arizona—but it just didn't seem like a good time to wake up yet. Thirty minutes later I gave up the ghost and creaked out of bed. The motel mattress was firm enough, but sometimes sleeping in strange places stiffens me up. I shuffled to my suitcase, retrieved my kit bag, lurched into the bathroom, and showered, emerging to find John already awake and watching one of the Final Fantasy movies on TV. I'm not sure which one it was. The premise involved asteroids, and aliens, and ray guns, and an insane amount of jumpsuits. By and by we got road-ready. We hoped to hit the Grand Canyon with enough daylight left to set up a tent, and possibly an entire working campsite. At this time of year, that involved getting there well before 5:00 p.m. We needed about seven hours or so to drive to GCNP from Yuma. That meant departing no later than 9:30 a.m., if possible. At 9:48 a.m. we were pulling out of the parking lot, threading our way through copious amounts of road construction, and weaseling back onto Interstate 8. A few miles out of town we stopped for gas. As we were filling up, we're reasonably certain we saw Tom Petty pull into the parking lot, blasting his own music out of the speakers of a bright yellow late-model Ford Mustang. He parked, ran inside, came back out, got back in, pulled jerkily out of the parking lot (working the clutch inexpertly) and drove away. Finished staring, John turned back to me. "Tom Petty needs to learn to drive a stick." The Yuma-Phoenix run wasn't quite as scenic as I'd hoped. Extreme Southern Arizona turned out to be little better than Extreme Southern California. It was flat as a pancake, and whatever hadn't been bleached bone-white by the sun had been turned into mangy farmland with copious amounts of water. After a few hours, we came into the environs of Phoenix. Oh boy, I thought. I've never seen Phoenix, really. All I've seen are a few tantalizing glimpses outside the big plate-glass windows of Sky Harbor. Now I'll finally get a good look at the place! Yeah, right. This is what my "look" at Phoenix consisted of: Interstate highway interchanges can go take a running jump. That's all I've got to say about that. Fortunately for my mood, the scenery improved greatly once we emerged on I-17 north of the city. Not bad, eh? The first thing I noticed were the saguaro cacti. I'd seen them before, but not for about, oh, ten years. They were far more impressive in person than I recalled. So of course I badgered John until he pulled onto an off-ramp and we could have ourselves a photo-op. As we continued on, the scenery rolled by like prickly waves on a greenish ocean. We traversed the Prescott area (where we saw the smoke of an enormous brush fire, which stayed in sight for more than an hour), and moved onward, ever upward, growing nearer to Flagstaff. Flagstaff was actually nothing like I remembered. I'd been there once before, at the tender age of 13, during my family's epic move from Oak Ridge, Tennessee, to Apple Valley, California in 1999. All I remembered were a lot of rocks and pine trees, and a few bright yellow WATCH FOR ELK roadsigns. There were rocks, yes. There were pine trees, yes. There were plenty of elk-related notices. But the layout of the town of Flagstaff was completely different than I remembered. The place seemed bigger, too. Either my memory was truly atrocious, or the place had undergone some changes in the last ten years. Either way, it was still pretty: the most beautiful stony hills surrounded the town, arching surprisingly high into the ethereal blue, coated with trees and reddish rocks. We made a brief stop in Flagstaff to—you guessed it—drop by the Best Buy. John claims to have some kind of morbid, work-related compulsion. He says he has to go inside any Best Buy he sees, just to compare it to the others he's worked at. I think he might be jerking my chain. He did have some rather excoriating things to say about the level of customer service represented (or rather, not represented) by the Geek Squad at the Flagstaff branch, however. Apart from that, our purpose in Best Buy was clear: John had to buy another kind of cable. I contented myself with poking through the store's R&B music section, which is my morbid Best Buy compulsion. I was, for the nth time, unable to locate the Black Keys album I've been questing for, The Big Come Up. (It stands to reason; that's probably their most popular album to date.) I struck gold in the next aisle over, however: Led Zeppelin III. Laden with yet another mysterious cable and some succulent classic rock, we paid our money and made our egress. At John's suggestion, we gassed up on our way out of Flagstaff. Then we got down to the business of being confused about which route to take. John had been showcasing his lovely Garmin GPS system all day. It worked well, and had a multitude of useful user-friendly features. Unfortunately, like MapQuest, it occasionally had a debilitating tendency to send us on nastily circuitous routes. The only difference was that John's GPS sent us on these nastily circuitous routes in an irritatingly calm, feminine voice. After realizing that we were not on I-40 (which connected up with Arizona State Highway 64, leading to the south rim of our destination), we turned around and returned to that interstate. We turned onto the 64 at about 3:30 in the afternoon. Now it was a straight shot to the Grand Canyon. After all the stops we'd made and electronics stores we'd criticized, I never thought we'd make the national park with any sort of light left. But we did. Following a deliciously scenic drive down the two-lane AZ-64, during which I almost broke my neck craning to look at a Lockheed C-121 Constellation parked outside the Planes of Fame Air Museum in Valle (more about that in the next installment), we pulled up to the park entrance sometime after four. John stumped up the $25 entrance fee, and we made a beeline for the nearest campsite: the Mather Campground near Market Plaza. Fortuitously near Market Plaza, as it happened. We turned down Juniper Loop and began scanning either side of the lane for a suitable campsite-cum-parking spot. We chose one a ways in, a little too near an elderly couple's RV, but suitably close to the Dumpsters and lavatories. It had a flat expanse of ground for a tent, a wooden picnic table, and a fire pit. After clambering out of the car and donning an extra layer against the cool Northern Arizona evening, we promptly busted the tent out of the trunk and set it up. Our practice run on Tuesday night paid off. We managed to erect the thing with little trouble. While pounding the tent stakes in, we encountered a frustratingly wide patch of bedrock at the southwest corner; but with the aid of my military-surplus entrenching tool, I discovered its boundaries and was able to find a decent spot to embed the stake. We threw the pads and sleeping bags unceremoniously into the tent as the dusk gathered and then turned to the more interesting idea of dinner. We had a stove to cook on, but both of us realized that it really wouldn't be camping without a campfire. And we had no wood. And there were signs all around saying NO WOOD GATHERING. Well, shoot. John got back in the car and manfully found his way to Market Plaza to get us some flammable materials. I bustled about the camp, installing batteries in the lantern, setting out the cooking utensils, and generally organizing the campsite. I called John on my cell phone (there was barely enough signal to be heard) and requested that he bring back some more water. He agreed. I also hunted around for the triple-A batteries. I couldn't find the darn things anywhere. We'd picked up a few in Lucerne Valley along with the groceries, intending to use them in the fancy LED headlamp my mother had loaned me, but they'd disappeared in the meantime. Oh well, the heck with it. I had my Doomsday flashlight, anyway (one of the ones you charge by shaking). The darkness quietly completed itself as I worked (and searched fruitlessly). After a time, there was little to do but sit at the picnic table in the small white patch of illumination thrown by the lantern and hum a little tune as I waited for John to return. I didn't look up during this waiting period. It's a shame I didn't. I was missing out on quite a show. In due time, John returned with fire-starters, lighter fluid, bottled water, a six-pack of Stone Brewery's Levitation Ale, and three bundles of split cedar logs. He set the water on the table and the rest alight. The cedar wasn't well seasoned, and was more fond of smoldering and smoking than actually burning; but after moving the logs closer to one another and throwing a few more fire-starters on (and a few liberal squirts of lighter fluid), we soon had a cheery blaze going. Then we got down to brass tacks. John set up our new camp stove, pulled out a saucepan, opened a couple cans of Dennison's Chili, and set them to warm. Soon, we were chowing down on hot chili, crusty French bread and beer, with the quiet night all about us and the fire crackling away, sending fragrant cedar smoke over us as the breeze swung to and fro. "Marvelous" isn't quite the word for that meal. John and I chatted away as if we hadn't recently been separated for three years, joking and chuckling. The smoke curled away, up into the night. Our feast concluded, we cleaned up the dishes with the aid of icy water from an old-fashioned water pump near the lavatories. (Only the next day would we discover that there was a sink for dishes at the rear of the building.) Then we pulled up a cooler by the fire and watched the stars, which we'd just noticed. I don't want to sound trite, but they were glimmering like diamonds. Off in the distance, a couple of campsites over, a solitary flute began to play. The flautist was undoubtedly a novice; his or her repertoire was limited to the major scales, and a few lilting notes in no particular order. But the effect was stunning, especially in that darkness, especially in that strange and majestic place. Less than a mile from the Grand Canyon, under an adamantine sky, warm fire-glow and cedar smoke filling the air, a delicious meal in our stomachs and beer in our hands, John and I listened to that tinkling flute filter through the trees with a visceral reverence. It was the perfect complement to an evening of subtle splendor. "It's Ian Anderson!" I postulated. There remains little to tell. We secured whatever belongings we weren't going to sleep with inside John's car; disposed of our trash in the proper receptacles; and adjourned to the tent with flashlights, cell phones, and warm pajamas (sweats and long-sleeved shirt for me, a polypropylene body glove for John). John attempted to read a few Bible verses by the light of the lantern, but pronounced the illumination too dim. I was more stubborn. I laid awake for another half-hour with a flashlight in one hand and my new copy of Alcott's Little Women in the other. Between paragraphs, my friend Allison administered the daily grammar quiz via text messages. (The word was "gravid," I believe.) After an engaging electronic conversation, she signed off. I stayed conscious just long enough to finish the chapter, then put the book aside, switched off the flashlight, and laid my delightedly weary head to rest. And upon the morrow rested the golden promise of the canyon itself... I'd like to conclude by adding that I considered entitling this piece "Canyon dig it?" but I thought better of it.

4 comments:

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

This is my favorite post of yours so far. You have some truly eloquent, dead-on descriptions in here. "Succulent" is the best word to describe Led Zeppelin I've ever heard.

I've also had an incredibly crappy morning; this post has cheered me up considerably.

Interlacing alert - I've been thinking a lot lately about the expression "give up the ghost," and trying to figure out how to incorporate it into a post. Once again, you've beaten me to it.

If sleeping in a strange place stiffens you up at 23, I fear for your spinal future.

I used to want to marry Tom Petty. Your description of this cameo reminds me of his cameo appearance in the movie Made in Heaven, which is a movie that's atrociously unavailable. Last I checked you can only find it in parts on YouTube.

I've met several Phoenix refugees who've come to live here in Taos. Apparently it's not that great of a place.

The picture of you with the cactus is eerie for me. I don't think I've mentioned this, but I checked out some of your vlogs a while back, and you bear an uncanny resemblance to my friend Ben - you look like him, wear hats like him (at least in your vlog), and most of all, you talk and sound exactly like him. I have a picture of him, my significant other, and another guy standing in front of what would appear to be the exact same cactus.

But here's the eeriest part - I hardly ever hear from him these days, but he just IM-ed me out of the blue as I was starting to read this post.

We camped in Flagstaff on our way to California that time I told you about. I liked it. It was the only part of Arizona I liked. But then again, I didn't go to the Grand Canyon.

Cooking over a campfire is one of my absolute favorite things in life to do, and chili is my favorite dish to cook. Did you put beer in yours?

Simple music when camping is a wonderful thing. Once, when I was camping alone near Guerneville, I set up the tent in the afternoon then took a deliciously lazy nap in it, and was awakened by a lone drummer.

What prompted you to read Little Women?

A.T. Post said...

Thanks very much, I'm sure. I appreciate your generous feedback. I'm glad I cheered you up. That's my unofficial mission in life, you know. (Cheering people up.) Why was your morning so crappy?

I compressed a disc in my back a few years ago. It's only lately stopped paining me (after a few trips to the chiropractor to break up the huge chunk of scar tissue that formed down there). Sometimes it's just stiff in the mornings still. I need to get in shape.

Made in Heaven, huh? Have you tried Amazon.com or perhaps eBay? Those places usually have hard-to-find stuff. That's interesting...one of the reasons I mentioned Taylor Swift earlier is that my friend John is pretty much in love with her. She's the reason he got into country music in the first place.

Thanks for the pick-me-up. Phoenix sure LOOKED great from the airport...

Seriously? There's somebody else in the world who talks like me? I never would've believed it. And they take pictures in front of cacti? Spooky. But the killer-diller is that he IM-ed you just as you started to read. Cue the Twilight Zone music.

I feel sort of the same way. The Flagstaff area (and the Grand Canyon) are the prettiest bits of Arizona, I think. What's New Mexico like, anyway? Especially Taos, I've never been there. I went through Santa Rosa and Albuquerque on the 40 when we moved from Tennessee to California, but that's about it.

Nah, unfortunately we didn't put beer in the chili. If it had been homemade we probably would've. Levitation Ale is a bit strong for that anyway. It's made by the Stone Brewery, an independent small brewing company in San Diego. They also make a brew called "Arrogant Bastard Ale" and that stuff is S-T-R-O-N-G. John and I are plotting a trip down there, so it might show up on the blog here sooner or later.

Ah, a lone drummer! Wow. Isn't it just the most fantastically surreal thing when that happens? I'll bet you didn't even mind that you'd been awakened. Distant music from mysterious sources never fails to stir the heart. Well, unless it's a kazoo.

"Little Women" is a classic, for one thing. Every classic book list I've read has it in there somewhere. I'm trying to get caught up on the classics, and I'm rather low on stuff by female authors. As I've stated elsewhere, I'll read anything I think I can learn from, and I know precious little about women and young girls. From a literary standpoint, that's quite a debilitating lack of knowledge (half the population of the planet). I know the book was written in the 1860s but I figured I might pick a few tips about the way mothers and daughters interact and the way girls behave in adolescence.

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

It's way too long of a story about my crappy morning, but I'll give you the lowlight - helping a woman put groceries in her car at Wal~Mart and realizing when I got home that I'd put my own in her car too.

It's crazy how much you sound like Ben, and you have similar talking gestures too.

New Mexico is awesome, magical. They don't call it the Land of Enchantment for nothing. I'm completely in love with New Mexico and have been since I first stepped foot here 7 years ago. Did I ever mention that I was supposed to be moving to Vancouver when I stopped in New Mexico to visit a friend, and loved it so much I moved here instead?

One of my favorite parts of Little Women, (which I remember more from the movie version with Susan Sarandon because I read the book when I was like ten) is when Laurie and his tutor are watching the girls from the window, and Laurie asks what the tutor thinks the girls do all day. The tutor says, "Over the mysteries of female life there is a veil drawn which is best left undisturbed."

A.T. Post said...

Oh no! That's awful! And quite crappy. But we've all done stuff like that. At least you weren't like the construction workers who sawed a hole in the overpass they were building only to realize they were standing in the middle of it.

Weird...I should like to meet this Ben. Maybe I have a twin somewhere...

It struck me that way as well. I remember crossing the Oklahoma-New Mexico border well, even though it was ten years ago. We went up and over a slight rise...and then, suddenly, the whole land turned red. It was rocky, scrubby, and majestic. It was the most beautiful thing I think I'd ever seen. No, you never told me how you moved to New Mexico...but I've been dying to know. Do continue.

Hmmm...sounds profound. See? This is why I should read the book.