Sunday, November 22, 2009

cocktail review no. 20 - Rusty Nail


Yeah, yeah, I know. I'm breaking precedent. Two cocktail reviews in a row. Scandalous. But this is a special case. I happened to stumble across likely-looking drinks for two nights running. And this one's got a vaguely taboo subject, a reference to pop culture, and an evocative mental image all wrapped up in its name. So why not?

The recipe comes from my new bartending school's textbook, though I've seen it in The Bartender's Bible, too.

  • 1½ ounces Scotch
  • ½ ounces Drambuie
In an old-fashioned glass filled with ice cubes, combine the Scotch and Drambuie. Stir well.
I don't know if you know this, but Drambuie is a Scotch whisky liqueur. So, almost by default, this cocktail is a harmonious blend of flavors. The smokiness of the Scotch and the sweetness of the Drambuie compliment each other almost too perfectly. This is a fine before- or after-dinner drink: goes down smooth, tasty as all get-out, and given that it's a highball it's absurdly easy to make. If you're willing to stump up a little for Drambuie (and good blended Scotch wouldn't go amiss either; I'd suggest Cutty Sark or J&B), then you're in for a real treat. This one's definitely one of my Top 10 favorites.




4 comments:

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

I don't know if I've ever tried Drambuie. I read this post last night and my stomach wasn't feeling too good, so it didn't sound appetizing at all. I'm still not too sure about it.

A.T. Post said...

I'm sorry to hear that. Any clue as to what the cause of the stomach upset was? Got any peppermints or 7-Up on hand (both do wonders)?

Let me tell you, it's glorious. Forge the fact that it's 100% alcoholic. Scotch and Drambuie is the most naturally harmonious mix ever, and coincidentally delicious to boot. But it's best to wait until you're in top form to sample any kind of alcoholic drink.

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

Yeah, my stomach's been off for days. I don't what the deal is. I have very little appetite, and alcohol in any form sounds fairly nasty. I did buy some brandy today to go with the egg nog I got, but couldn't bring myself to drink any tonight. I'm hoping a good Thanksgiving turkey meal will cure me.

A.T. Post said...

Yeah, alcohol's not good on a sour stomach. Maybe you've got a touch of food poisoning or a little stomach (not swine) flu. Never can tell. Run some nutrients through yourself and see if that works. Let me know if you feel better!