Wednesday, December 9, 2009

cocktail review no. 21 - Brandy Alexander

Just to clarify, this is not my pick for Christmas cocktail of 2009. That's coming later. This is just a prelude. Well, it would've been my pick, knowing what's in it and all, but the fact remains that it's a cold drink, and this is the season for hot ones. So there'll be a hot drink coming later. Oh, heck, it's Christmastime. Let's just call this one Christmas Cocktail the First. The other will be Christmas Cocktail the Second. Not that I'm advocating anybody getting smashed during the holidays, but one more won't hurt, now will it? (Insert grim chuckle here.) Anyway, this cocktail is one of the ones I learned about last Saturday. It's a cream drink.
  • 1½ ounces brandy
  • 1 ounce dark crème de cacao
  • 1 ounce half-and-half
  • ¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg
In a shaker half-filled with ice cubes, combine the brandy, crème de cacao, and half-and-half. Shake well. Strain into a cocktail glass and garnish with the nutmeg. I didn't make mine with nutmeg the other night, mainly because I was a bad bartender and forgot there was supposed to be nutmeg in it; but it was a decent drink as cream drinks go. I'm not big on crème de cacao, and I wasn't really in the mood for something creamy that night (my brother had just gotten home from the University of Wyoming, and I hadn't seen him in 18 months, so my mind was elsewhere). Still and all, I'd recommend this drink around this time of year. I feel like making it again to give it a fairer shake. Something to sip by the fire, or in company, or (as with the tower topper) while cooking.

3 comments:

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

Yum. I seem to remember my mom liking these, but I never knew what went in one until now. Now I see why she likes them. Unfortunately, I just used up the last of my brandy last night in egg nog. It's really almost sacrilegious to run out of brandy during the holiday season, isn't it? If you can forgive me for that, I'll forgive you for your fruitcake joke.

A.T. Post said...

Deal. How'd the eggnog come out? You know, I've never had the hard stuff. Always the virgin eggnog for me. Even now I kinda think booze would almost ruin it...

Entrepreneur Chick said...

Nice... I'll do it!