Tuesday, December 8, 2009

danged if you do

I can't take criticism at all, really. I'm an inveterate weasel. Should anyone say anything remotely critical or even neutrally corrective (i.e., "There's a better way to do that"), my self-esteem and dignity throw themselves out of the window. Depending on my opinion of the other person, I'll either (a) equivocate by saying "I'm rusty" or "I'm trying my best," or (b) deny everything to save face. Rarely, very rarely will I ever respond to criticism by saying, "Is that so? Thank you for telling me. I'll try to do better next time." A deplorable situation. But that is not the point. Being unable to take criticism is one thing. But, it seems, I can't take praise either. I have an extremely odd way of dealing with praise. When I'm in company, I'll look down at the ground, go red, mumble an refutation, and scuff the dirt with my toe.When I receive a compliment electronically, however, I turn into something like a zealously rehearsing actor with Tourette's. I jump up and wander about the house, giggling eerily and repeating odd snatches of movie lines and book excerpts. I'm not sure why this happens. Perhaps this is my inherently modest psyche's way of deflecting praise: leaving the room and pretending to be somebody else. Or maybe my joy at being recognized for something overwhelms my puny brain and sends me into a hurtless form of schizophrenia. I've heard that, across cultures, there are a variety of ways in which praise is received. According to the brief-but-informative international etiquette guide Behave Yourself!, it is unnecessary to deny a compliment or be self-effacing in the United States, as it is in some other places. If someone compliments you, accept it and say "thank you." Whereas in Asian cultures, it's not only common, but actually considered the norm to deny any compliment you're given with a self-deprecating statement. In China, people will never come out and say "no." Saving face is so important to them that they will use very gentle negatives like "I'll consider it" to preserve the other's dignity. In Japan, when giving a gift, one commonly says tsumaranai mon ("It's nothing special"). In Singapore, if you even express disagreement with someone you don't know very well (thus causing them to lose face), you can be viewed as pushy or hostile. Diplomacy, correctness, and indirect dissension are the keys to politeness. I routinely do all three of these things. I hate to just flat-out say "no way" to people. So instead I'll say mealy-mouthed things like "I'll think about it," or "You have a point," or "Perhaps next time." Whenever I give somebody something, and they're gushing over it, I invariably say "Oh, it's not much," or "It's the least I could do." I tend not to disagree with people at all the first time I meet them (particularly beautiful women). I'm afraid I'll impress them as being argumentative or disagreeable. It's only after I get to know them that I begin to dissent with whatever wrong-headed, idiotic opinions they may have. So what does this mean? Well, it confirms something I've suspected for a long time. I'm a closet Asian. I'm turning Japanese. I was this way even before I went to Korea, so it must be something hidden deep within my genetic makeup. Perhaps my great-great-grandfather wasn't from Prussia like Ancestry.com says. Maybe he was a Sino-Korean transplant from Manchuria and immigrated to Prussia before marrying my great-great-grandmother (who had an Asian fetish before it was cool) and subsequently immigrating to the States from there. I'm sure any genealogist or psychiatrist could give me a categorical answer on this one. But he or she had better be careful in phrasing their diagnosis, or I might get up and start stalking around the office, grinning and muttering movie quotes to no one.

8 comments:

Entrepreneur Chick said...

I am SO sending Chloe over here to read this post.

I have more to say, am not done. (Though I've read the whole thing.)

If you must know, I'm sitting here drinking a beer and I've not eaten. Typos will abound in the next few minutes.

Closet Asian. You're too much.

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

Maybe you should get a past-life regression done. I'm kidding. Sort of.

My middle daughter, Emma, is a closet Asian too, as was my ex-husband.

This Little Girl Dreams... said...

lol @ closet Asian. Thanks for the comment on my post : )

A.T. Post said...

Typo-free so far as near as I can tell, EC! What beer? I'm glad I'm too much...

Oh, and Chloe, if you're reading this, chime in. Am I off base?

I can see it now, Pollinatrix:
"Doc, I...I think I'm Asian."
"There there, good man. Lots of people do."
I think the bunch over at ResidentAlien are out-of-the-closet Asians by now.

Little Girl: You're welcome. Thanks for commenting on mine.

Sharon said...

Closet Asian, huh? Welcome to my world.

Does that make me a closet Whitey??? Actually, nevermind, I've already got Twinkie, ABC, Banana, amongst other labels I can't remember at the moment because apparently I'm a closet Whitey. ;)

A.T. Post said...

Well, one of us is definitely a closet ethnicity of some kind. I've never actually been labeled, except for the epithets I aspire to like "weirdo" and "strange" and "odd duck."

Sharon said...

Oh, I have also been labeled "Bitch", but that's a whole other story... LOL

But really, you're right, as an Asian, I have a REALLY hard time accepting compliments. It's like my system flat out rejects them.

A.T. Post said...

Yep...'nother story. Maybe you'll tell it someday on your blog...?

Yeah, me too! I always feel like I'm letting my head get too big if I say "yes" or even "thank you." I have to self-deprecate immediately or risk my hats becoming too small.