Wednesday, December 30, 2009

cocktail review no. 24 - Mudslide

Yeah, okay, I know. This is a cold drink. You're not supposed to be having cold drinks in wintertime, right? Ah, phooey. Have what you want. My folks are still having martinis every night, and it's tough to get much more summery than that (unless we're talking mojitos or zombies or scorpions).
  • 1 ounce vodka
  • 1 ounce Bailey's Irish Cream
  • 1 ounce Kahlúa
  • 1 ounce half-and-half
In a shaker half-filled with ice cubes, combine all the ingredients. Shake well. Strain into an old-fashioned glass almost filled with ice cubes. As a matter of fact, ladies and gentlemen, the mudslide is the first alcoholic drink I ever tasted. I was over at the house of one of my grandparents' friends: a jolly, round fellow named Jim, who asked me if I liked to drink...and forthwith made me this cocktail. I was 19 years old. I whipped this drink up a few nights ago and man, it's even better than I remember. I'm not much on vodka, but this here libation is a four-way made in heaven. (And I'm always up for a four-way.) The vodka, after its wont, takes on the flavor of the Bailey's and Kahlúa. The Kahlúa lends a chocolate-coffee sting, while the Bailey's backs it up with whiskey and more cream. (It's a crime that I've gone 23 years of my life without tasting Bailey's...that stuff is incredible.) The half-and-half creates the perfect binding agent, easy on the draw. There's nothing better than a mudslide if you're in the mood for something decadently sweet and smooth. (Just make sure you've got a warm fire going, or are cuddling with somebody special...or both.)

6 comments:

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

You're always up for a four-way, huh? Oops. Did I just go there?

You're making me thirsty. I'm going to have to go open that bottle of wine in the kitchen, methinks. Since the only other alcohol I have is brandy, and no mixer for it.

A.T. Post said...

You just went there. Hee hee, good job.

Nothing like wine on a winter's night. But jeez, you need to get more than just brandy. People don't drink by brandy alone, y'know. At least have some rum and Kahlua and cream and maybe some Bailey's around at this time of year.

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

I actually ended up mixing the brandy with Coke that night (it actually wasn't bad), and, inspired by all your cocktail reviews, ended up going out on the town for the first time since I've lived in Taos. I had a blast! But also had the worst whiskey sour ever. I then switched to White Russians, a much happier choice.

A.T. Post said...

Congratulations! Nothing wrong with a good night out on the town. Glad you had fun. But darn, what's with the whiskey sours in Taos? What kind of whiskey did you get? I hope you didn't go with the well brand. And I hope you didn't get something other than Canadian whisky or bourbon...those make the best whiskey sours. But White Russians are a good all-rounder. My buddies and I usually start with those when we go out on a bender.

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

I'm ashamed to admit I didn't even think to order anything but the well brand. I waited in line a LONG time, and the bartender girl was intimidating.

Are you gonna fire me now?

A.T. Post said...

You're fired.

Ah, I take it back. You're un-fired. Anybody can make a mistake. Heck, I'm new to this business myself.

I might've said before that whiskey sours are best with either Canadian whisky or bourbon (if I did, I'm sorry).
I like 'em with Canadian whisky myself; I have Black Velvet in the cabinet, and that makes a pretty good one. Crown Royal might be a tad high-end for mixing, but I bet Canadian Club would be pretty nice.

For bourbon you might try Wild Turkey (if you like it strong), Jim Beam (if you like it mediocre), or Maker's Mark (if you want it just right).