Wednesday, December 30, 2009

cocktail review no. 25 - Tom and Jerry

Ha! Previous record smashed! THREE cocktail reviews in a row, by golly! Postman, you've done it again. I mentioned earlier that the tower topper was redolent of cooking, reminding one of the smells and sounds and sensations of a kitchen full of happy people during the holidays. Well, this drink is actually cooking.
  • 1 whole egg, separated
  • teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
  • 2 ounces (plus 1 teaspoon) light rum
  • 6 ounces hot milk
  • ½ ounce brandy
  • teaspoon grated nutmeg
In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg white until it forms soft peaks. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolk until it gets frothy. Fold the white into the yolk. Add the baking soda, sugar, and one teaspoon of the rum. Whisk it all together to form a stiff batter. Pour the batter into a warm beer mug and dissolve in it 1/4 of a cup of the hot milk. Add the rest of the rum and the brandy; fill the mug with the rest of the milk; stir, and sprinkle the nutmeg on top. See what I mean? Froth this, whisk that, stir here, sprinkle there. And "soft peaks"? What the hell are "soft peaks"? What the Sam Hill is "folding"? Jeez, I could've gone off on a tangent and made lemon meringue pie if I'd wanted... That being said, this drink is dynamite, and well worth the work. You have a frothy, fluffy medium disguising a hefty rum-brandy-nutmeg kick. It's similar to hot buttered rum, though a great deal more work-intensive; but it is also smoother, tastier, richer, creamier, and heartier. It's more flavorful and somewhat more comforting, particularly at this time of year. Nothing beats a hot mug of this while watching the original cartoon version of How the Grinch Stole Christmas (which, in my opinion, is the only credible version; Jim Carrey's be damned). I'd say it'd be good for a game of Taboo or Pictionary on New Year's Night, too. And I'd be willing to bet it's perfect for cuddling. Happy New Year!

4 comments:

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

I agree - Jim Carrey's Grinch is atrocious!

We got the game Spinergy for Christmas - are you familiar?

This drink sounds weird but good. Why in Sam Hill is it called a Tom and Jerry though?

Entrepreneur Chick said...

Okay. I've got to be honest. I am far too lazy for that drink.

If you come to Texas, can you make it for us Postman? Hmmm?

Polly, we watch Jim Carrey's Grinch every year and also the original Grinch.

When I was little, that dude really scared me.

After the holidays are over and we put everything away on New Year's Day, it always looks as if the Grinch has surely struck. Everyone looks wrong for several days.

A.T. Post said...

Spinergy! Sounds interesting. Don't think I've run across it before. What's it like?

Tom and Jerry? I don't know. Maybe because it's got both rum and brandy in it, and the two sort of bounce off each other. I looked it up on Wikipedia, and it said...well, this is what it said: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_and_Jerry_%28mixed_drink%29

Judge for yourself...

A.T. Post said...

Heck yes I'll make it for you! I'll make any drink you like. And I've been looking for an excuse to go to Texas. Man, I love the blogsphere...

Heh heh...everyone looks a little Grinchified? I think the season brings out the Grinch in everyone as well as the Santa. Which do you prefer, anyway? Old Grinch or new Grinch?